• Total voters

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I don't think so. This market downturn in this situation is the result of externalities caused by a novel pandemic rather than weaknesses in an internal system of controls (or lack thereof) that caused the subprime lending bubble to pop. The idea that the dollar is going to end because of the reaction to coronavirus is sensationalist at best. At worst, statements like that promulgate panic and make a measured response to the crisis more difficult.

Can you translate this for someone with only a high school education from the mid eighties, please?

Smaller words please.

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
Can you translate this for someone with only a high school education from the mid eighties, please?

Smaller words please.
The market is down because of an "act of God," which is different than the last time the market had a big downturn. That was caused because the system itself needed correction - totally unrelated cause.
Trying to freak people out with the idea that the US Dollar is going to end because of this is like screaming "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater.

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
I don't think so. This market downturn in this situation is the result of externalities caused by a novel pandemic rather than weaknesses in an internal system of controls (or lack thereof) that caused the subprime lending bubble to pop. The idea that the dollar is going to end because of the reaction to coronavirus is sensationalist at best. At worst, statements like that promulgate panic and make a measured response to the crisis more difficult.

I again disagree. This virus is a handy excuse to take action against an inevitable downturn. If I'm wrong, the CV panic selling will right itself. If I'm right, this economic circlejerk is just the American dollar losing clout.

Either way, it's exposing weakness in our manufacturing base (as in absence of), our reliance on foreign goods, and our generally weak and sensitive population. We cannot just keep printing money to prop up a failing system.

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
14A9252F-3B47-4225-83B3-8BBDC8481B9E.gif

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I again disagree. This virus is a handy excuse to take action against an inevitable downturn. If I'm wrong, the CV panic selling will right itself. If I'm right, this economic circlejerk is just the American dollar losing clout.

Either way, it's exposing weakness in our manufacturing base (as in absence of), our reliance on foreign goods, and our generally weak and sensitive population. We cannot just keep printing money to prop up a failing system.

Global markets have all downturned btw, not just the NYSE.

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
I'm in the majority of people who are just sitting there watching their 401k hemorrhage. Glad I've got 30 years for it to recuperate.

At this point, that's really all you can do. If you happened to bail 2 months ago and saw this coming, congratulations, you are a genius. Hopefully you'll also have the foresight to know when the uptick is going to last and jump back in at just the right moment.

This all just makes you realize it's smoke and mirrors anyway.