• Total voters

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
Well, what concerns me is the excessive pressures. I prefer to run well within the range of pressure set forth by the engineers who designed the guns, because I've owned a few guns that had been run with 9mm+p+ ammo, and their frames started cracking along with the barrel link pin bending, and other issues.
So I DO have some experience with guns run with excessive pressure, and the stuff listed in the article sounds about right - locking lugs cracking, bolts breaking, gas ports getting eroded, extractors breaking, reduced barrel life (although that's more subjective, but certainly throat erosion). Not to mention needing updated mags to avoid the feeding problems from the slightly longer OAL. It's just a lot of extra wear for not a lot of return on that investment.

But you do you. There'll be more M855 around for me to use since you'll be using up ALL of the 855A1 with all that shooting you do... :whistling:

:fencing:
I dunno my squad probably went through more than 5000 rounds plus of M855A1 in Afghanistan. That’s a conservative number. Think 12 infantry men on patrol, at least 8 with M4s usually getting engaged and using 3-5 mags each, several times a week. Then add in the engagements on the combat out post where they live that happen almost everyday at 5pm-7pm lol. Belt feds and M4s.
I didn’t get the 855A1 till about 1/2 through the fighting season and we eventually ran out and went back to green tip. So we used it up definitely. I never saw a malfunction during that time that I related to the cartridge , we had no catastrophic failures, zero. Never saw anything other then really good performance on targets and some damn good Barrier penetration (as far as mud huts and walls are concerned)
Where I’m going with this is, if an infantry squad can use that many rounds, during a very kinetic deployment, and suffer no catastrophic failures, no abnormal malfunctions all while using GI spec old school non-enhanced magazines, I’m not seeing where all these issues are coming from?

would I shoot 855A1 all day at the range in the civilian world? Probably not, I don’t like blowing cheddar that way.

If it causes a faster wear rate on small parts, like you mentioned +P+ we’re talking what, taking a 30,000 round nitride barrel down to 25,000? 20,000? Keep in mind thats a 150.00-180.00 barrel . You would have paid 15,000.00 in ammo lol

so personally, and maybe I’m wrong this has been years ago and was only In over seas environment, if you stacked up 855A1under the idea it was going to be used in a combat scenario here, I doubt the barrel life issue would matter at all. You probably wouldn’t survive long enough to be shooting 20,000 rounds, not you personally but most of us.

I never saw a bolt break, OOB detonation, barrel that didn’t hold mil-spec accuracy, abnormal malfunctions, feeding issues while shooting M855A1 along with 35-40 other guys I was directly associated with.

never heard of company level issue nor any word down from battalion, however we pretty much fielded the first 855A1 rounds in country. They came special delivery!

Last edited:

oio

I suck dick
Nov 17, 2015
Alpharetta
Zip code
I wouldn't use the M8555A1...

I wouldn’t use guns that can’t handle hotter ammo. Blame the ammo for being too powerful? How about blame the gun for being too weak to handle it. Plenty of quality guns that can handle it

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
You know it's all in fun, right?

I disagree with you, but it really don't matter much in the real world. I'd still buy you a beer or two at the local.
Lol of course....thank you for being one of the few to realize that all this doesnt matter and is entertainment