• Total voters

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Our Spring was about to be canceled because we didn't have a head coach so I'm doing it. I played but in no way can teach someone to pitch. I'll do the best I can but no way these parents are forking over that kind of money. I just hope to teach them some basics to be honest.

Good on you to step up and accept the challenge. Be honest with them take an evaluation now then at the end of the yr guarantee they are better than they were on the first week.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Wow... yeah that sucks for the kid big time because he was probably stuck in a no-win situation. My guess is that neither of the parents played sports growing up and didn't realize that it starts a lot earlier than that. Feel bad for the kid.
The fact that you 'need' to start early to enjoy it is kinda the problem, right?

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Bad part is they are so nice, they'll just sit in the pouch they came in and get fondled on occasion. I've got to up my game of beater AK & AR mags. I meet the KK rules for an AK, mag wise but I don't have 11 per AR :unsure: even though they're much cheaper. I did a small inventory last week on glock mags, and well. I've got a couple extras.. :becky:
Keep workig on it.The deal that Global Ordnance had on AR steel mags was awesome. They worked in ARs and Cetme-L.
Botach has decent deals on 3 packs of Lancers.
Palmetto's branded D&H mags are GTG too.

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
Thanks, we didn't get him involved until he came and asked to play. Athletics were huge to me growing up and I can't imagine not having played a bunch of different sports. However, it's up to them what they want to play. What's nice is our high school encourages kids to play multiple sports instead of specializing.
I think multisports are important because it gives the kid more than one thing to keep busy with, lets them make more friends, and keeps more windows open for playing in the future. I was pretty much never asked what sports I wanted to play and that made a lot of it pretty miserable. Also having parents that had minimal involvement after they signed me up made things really hard. It's good to encourage, support, and engage when it comes to sports.

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
Good on you to step up and accept the challenge. Be honest with them take an evaluation now then at the end of the yr guarantee they are better than they were on the first week.

I'm pretty apprehensive about it honestly but I'll feel better after our first practice. At a max of 2 1.5 hour practices a week there's not much time to teach a lot and very little time for everyone to hit and field each practice.

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
It's the nature of competition.

I think baseball starting earlier is probably beneficial, but @Old Skool shared some stats with me the other day about those that make it to the NFL. The majority never played until High School. The point being that some just "have it" and they'll make it regardless. You don't have to be like Tiger Woods and start practicing golf as an infant to be great.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I'm pretty apprehensive about it honestly but I'll feel better after our first practice. At a max of 2 1.5 hour practices a week there's not much time to teach a lot and very little time for everyone to hit and field each practice.

I understand the time issues. We would break them into groups. Infield outfield and hitting then rotate every 15 min or so then do a full practice to let them see why in love form. If you don’t have extra coaches ask the parent watching to help if they can. You’d be surprised some actually want to help anyway they can for all the kids success.

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
I understand the time issues. We would break them into groups. Infield outfield and hitting then rotate every 15 min or so then do a full practice to let them see why in love form. If you don’t have extra coaches ask the parent watching to help if they can. You’d be surprised some actually want to help anyway they can for all the kids success.
Yep this is solid advice

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
I think baseball starting earlier is probably beneficial, but @Old Skool shared some stats with me the other day about those that make it to the NFL. The majority never played until High School. The point being that some just "have it" and they'll make it regardless. You don't have to be like Tiger Woods and start practicing golf as an infant to be great.
I get that you can't coach speed or height. Some of those things are just what they are, but I think achieving a certain level of skill or proficiency in a sport makes playing it a lot more enjoyable.