• Total voters

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
We had a couple show up one yr 11-12 never played trying out for a select team ... it really did more discouragement for the kid cause they couldn’t perform like the others. I followed up with them to not be so tough on themselves cause a lot of those kids been playing 7-8 yrs and they should not give up if they really want to play ball do some more work and show them next time.
Or go learn a useful skill, like math or carpentry

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
Wait... so there's kids that start baseball that late? Had no idea. I guess baseball was a really big deal where I grew up.

Dude, it's nothing like when we grew up. This league is basically the same ones that would feed into his high school and we only have one team with 12 guys. Growing up the league I played in had probably 100 boys on 8 or more teams just in our area.

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
Who needs math when I have "ok Google"

0c459c994ae9d1ced6066ba022226696.jpg

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
At 12U you gotta practice like you play... they should be doing indoor hitting pitching and catcher clinic. We used to rent an hour for the team split up for each players parents to foot $35. Split them into groups to help determine lineup off the jump.

Good times ... and Good Luck

Our Spring was about to be canceled because we didn't have a head coach so I'm doing it. I played but in no way can teach someone to pitch. I'll do the best I can but no way these parents are forking over that kind of money. I just hope to teach them some basics to be honest.

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
Well, from what I'm reading, adults have turned kids playing kids games into serious business...renting out indoor batting cages for PEAK performance....

Oh yeah, no doubt. We're not all that serious about it. My son is pretty athletic though. He was as good as other boys who've played many seasons after a little practice. I'm not pushing him though. I'm enjoying it but I had my glory back in the day so I'm not trying to live thru him. That's when it gets ugly

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
Bad part is they are so nice, they'll just sit in the pouch they came in and get fondled on occasion. I've got to up my game of beater AK & AR mags. I meet the KK rules for an AK, mag wise but I don't have 11 per AR :unsure: even though they're much cheaper. I did a small inventory last week on glock mags, and well. I've got a couple extras.. :becky:
Send me the really hairy looking one and I will give you 4 surplus steel beater mags :)

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
Oh yeah, no doubt. We're not all that serious about it. My son is pretty athletic though. He was as good as other boys who've played many seasons after a little practice. I'm not pushing him though. I'm enjoying it but I had my glory back in the day so I'm not trying to live thru him. That's when it gets ugly
I got pushed so hard with some stuff that it killed any joy I found in it and I ended up dropping it. Then all the stuff I wanted to do, I got pulled from. I just wanted someone to actually listen to me about what I wanted to play and what I had zero interest in playing. I think you're doing it right.

T_Max

Master of the Meat
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
NW GA
Our Spring was about to be canceled because we didn't have a head coach so I'm doing it. I played but in no way can teach someone to pitch. I'll do the best I can but no way these parents are forking over that kind of money. I just hope to teach them some basics to be honest.
Good luck brother you have your hands full.plus dealing with some parents can be a real pain. I coached baseball and football a few years back

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
Well, from what I'm reading, adults have turned kids playing kids games into serious business...renting out indoor batting cages for PEAK performance....
My neighbors built a batting cage in their back yard with a legit pitching machine and everything. I had a pitching setup in mine. Felt normal though.

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
I got pushed so hard with some stuff that it killed any joy I found in it and I ended up dropping it. Then all the stuff I wanted to do, I got pulled from. I just wanted someone to actually listen to me about what I wanted to play and what I had zero interest in playing. I think you're doing it right.

Thanks, we didn't get him involved until he came and asked to play. Athletics were huge to me growing up and I can't imagine not having played a bunch of different sports. However, it's up to them what they want to play. What's nice is our high school encourages kids to play multiple sports instead of specializing.

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
We had a couple show up one yr 11-12 never played trying out for a select team ... it really did more discouragement for the kid cause they couldn’t perform like the others. I followed up with them to not be so tough on themselves cause a lot of those kids been playing 7-8 yrs and they should not give up if they really want to play ball do some more work and show them next time.
Wow... yeah that sucks for the kid big time because he was probably stuck in a no-win situation. My guess is that neither of the parents played sports growing up and didn't realize that it starts a lot earlier than that. Feel bad for the kid.

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
My neighbors built a batting cage in their back yard with a legit pitching machine and everything. I had a pitching setup in mine. Felt normal though.

He has an arm way better than mine. My brother in law pitched and gave him some pointers. He pitched and did really well after a few games. We have a big net in the backyard to keep from losing baseballs more than anything.