Faktory 47

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd
Zip code
Russia considers Black Sea its backyard. Like US does Gulf of Mexico.
Dardanells and Bosphoros are a huge deal to Russia. If Turkey/NATO blocks them, there will be war.
Russia has always traded heavily with north African and ME countries, incl. Israel (food and produce) and Russia will do all it can to control Black Sea and access to the Miditereanian and Atlantic.
PS another reason why Russia has dozens of icebreakers. Keep the northern routes open to Atlantic and Pacific.
Thanks. That was what I was thinking.

So much of the Western press seems stuck on the idea that recent Russian moves are an indication of Russian frustration with Zelenskiy, who has also been targeting Kremlin allies in Ukraine or the Kremlin is whipping up a frenzy over the Donbas more for domestic reasons. They say the military buildup may be part of an electoral strategy ahead of parliamentary elections in September. Putin’s approval ratings are falling, &his United Russia political party seems destined for setbacks in the polls & Putin is looking to distract Russians from ongoing agitation for the release Navalny.

These things may have some truth to them, but I feel like we have a generation of Western journalists who didn't witness Cold War & haven't studied the history of Great Power politics so they have no frame of reference for what China & Russia are doing or what the USA should do that isn't based in electoral politics.

I'm probably just being old & grumpy but I feel like most in the West have forgotten how maps get redrawn.