Jul 20, 2016
NW GA

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I've used some transmission fluid to soak a purposely plugged Ww2 barrel in that was put up filthy who knows how long ago after scrubbing and firing didn't work. I don't know if mercron/dextron is really that good or the fact that it was in there for weeks on end, but the crud is gone. I'm shooting a Longbranch this afternoon.

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
I've used some transmission fluid to soak a purposely plugged Ww2 barrel in that was put up filthy who knows how long ago after scrubbing and firing didn't work. I don't know if mercron/dextron is really that good or the fact that it was in there for weeks on end, but the crud is gone. I'm shooting a Longbranch this afternoon.

An old mechanic at the glass plant kept a bottle of 50/50 tranny fluid and brake fluid. Swore it was the best thing for frozen/rusted bolts.

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
Used CLP for 10 years in the army minus my years in Alaska in which we had that badass lithium cold weather grease stuff. If overseas use less CLP and leave the outside dirty AF. Im
Not saying it’s the best but I’m saying 10 years and 3 deployments told me it’s good to go.

only issue I had was machine gunners getting heavy handed on it with the 249 more so than 240. They had literal squirt bottles of the shit and would just absolutely soak their open bolts with it. Caused issues increasing chamber pressures or something and led to problems.

and super heavy handed.

I believe the open bolts should run grease , but clean with CLP sure and even when they soaked that hoe it was a rare scenario.

the 240B dont give AF about anything or anyone she never chokes.

firm believer in CLP for almost all applications, but I do apply grease more Now days especially on AKMs or those railed guns.

ymmv and not claiming the Army was doing the best thing, but I’ve probably handled and used hundreds of gallons of CLP lol