Post today's workout

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
I hate cardio too. I need to talk to more womens.

Talking is cardio, now that I think about it .
I will have to register for 5ks to motivate myself to do more cardio, I used to do 3-4 5K's a year and that would keep me running sufficiently in between them to burn off any fat.
New years morning at daybreak used to be on of the best times to run one believe it or not.

Reactions: dougiemac

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Talking is cardio, now that I think about it .
I will have to register for 5ks to motivate myself to do more cardio, I used to do 3-4 5K's a year and that would keep me running sufficiently in between them to burn off any fat.
New years morning at daybreak used to be on of the best times to run one believe it or not.

Come to think of it, youre right. When I talk to a smokin' hot girl, my heart rate does elevate. = Cardio

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Ran up a mountain road. 4.6 miles of hell.

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
I spent an hour and a half running around and dodging bottle rockets and Roman candles. Drenched in sweat and covered in burns.

T-Roy

Hunter
Jun 24, 2015
@Laufen (or any other hardcore runners) how do you train to run? I seriously don't have a clue.

I did Warrior Dash this spring and quickly realized I'm over 40 and been smoking for 25 years. I dropped the cigs that day and started running on my wife's treadmill and quickly discovered that shit sucks, was doing 2-3 miles a couple times a week and HATED it. A couple of weeks ago I started trail running and really enjoy it. Problem is I don't have a clue how to "train." Do you go for distance? Speed? I'm just trying to build some cardio and not die of a heart attack before 50. When I switched to the trail I was doing 1.5 miles and it was killing me. When it got where I could do the 1.5 without having to pull up and walk I started running 1.5 out, taking 5, and running back (though the second leg I can't always do nonstop.) Am I on the right track? Do you just keep pushing further as it gets easier or is there more to it?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
@Laufen (or any other hardcore runners) how do you train to run? I seriously don't have a clue.

I did Warrior Dash this spring and quickly realized I'm over 40 and been smoking for 25 years. I dropped the cigs that day and started running on my wife's treadmill and quickly discovered that shit sucks, was doing 2-3 miles a couple times a week and HATED it. A couple of weeks ago I started trail running and really enjoy it. Problem is I don't have a clue how to "train." Do you go for distance? Speed? I'm just trying to build some cardio and not die of a heart attack before 50. When I switched to the trail I was doing 1.5 miles and it was killing me. When it got where I could do the 1.5 without having to pull up and walk I started running 1.5 out, taking 5, and running back (though the second leg I can't always do nonstop.) Am I on the right track? Do you just keep pushing further as it gets easier or is there more to it?
Well, I could type pages on this but let me take a crack at hitting the high points.

First off, congrats on dropping the e-cigarettes and making a decision to improve your health. I totally agree with your assessment of treadmill running, the only thing worse is the dentist...it's awful.

Trail running is a lot of fun, and it really helps to strengthen a lot of the small stabilizing muscles that will keep your knees and other joints in good shape. It's also pretty nice as far as scenery goes, and that makes the miles tick by.

1. Get properly fitted for running shoes (at a real running store). Your gait, foot strike, weight, arch height,and pronation will determine the type of shoe that's best for you and it makes a HUGE difference to find the proper shoes. Imagine road racing with snow tires.

2. After you find the proper shoes, make sure to switch them out every 300-400 miles. Tread wear is NOT an indicator of shoe life. They break down internally long before the tread wears out, and that kills your joints.

3. Use a running tracker app, or gps watch to keep tabs on the important data during and after your run. Even if you aren't super serious, it'll help you to keep from ramping up too fast, either in pace or distance. It's also really motivational to see your pace/distance/calories etc real time as you're running.

4. Find a group to run with occasionally if you can. I love running alone, but my toughest and best training runs usually come with some friends that push me to my limits.

5. Decide why you want to run. When I started running it's because I saw myself in the mirror and I looked 6 months pregnant. I just wanted to lose some weight. As that happened I wanted to run 10k's, then I wanted to place in 10k's, then after a couple years I was winning some races.

6. Be prepared for growing pains. If you haven't run much in the past, your body will take some time to adjust to the new activity. You will probably experience some of the common aches and pains associated with running, but just be smart about treating them.

7. Don't forget to enjoy running. Make sure to mix up your runs. Not every time out needs to be about pushing your limits for pace, or running an extra 10% further. Do some fun runs and enjoy your new level of fitness.

8. Find some type of basic training plan to avoid over or under training. There are a lot of them out there. The Couch to 5K has a lot of fans, and I run with some folks that used that training plan and loved it.

9. You have to be self-motivated, and want to make a positive change. If you are and you do, you will improve, running will get easier and you will begin to enjoy it.

10. Check out this book. It'll cover all of the basics very well. https://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Complete-Beginning-Running/dp/159486022X

Don't hesitate to pm me with any questions you might have, and if you're ever in the neighborhood, I'm happy to go for a run with you and give you some tips on form, etc..or just go for a fun run.

T-Roy

Hunter
Jun 24, 2015
Cool man. Thanks. Hadn't even considered the right shoes, lol.

I'm definitely motivated. Had to replace the nicotine addiction with something else so I decided to do a 180 and go for getting back into shape (which keeps me from picking the smokes back up). Plus the obstacle course racing is a blast, if you can run between the obstacles without collapsing. Actually ordered a watch yesterday, gonna check that book out too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Laufen

T-Roy

Hunter
Jun 24, 2015
2.9 on the cross country trail that runs parallel to the silver comet. First time I've done it without taking 5 @ the turn around. Though the pace fell WAY off on mile 3.

T-Roy

Hunter
Jun 24, 2015
075550339c942b87fe64554f8ba44d4f.jpg

My ass hurts!

T-Roy

Hunter
Jun 24, 2015
Well done! Saddle sores? If not, get your weight shifted forward more. It's a saddle, not a seat! ;)
Yep, saddle sores, lol. My ankles aren't up to running every day yet, so going to mix in the bike some.

Reactions: Laufen

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I went to the gym yesterday to finally sign up since my freebie ran out and they werent there..... No work out for me.

"Staffed hours until 7pm" my ass. I went at 430pm...

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
More running. Lots and lots of running.