GA Firing Line

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
What made you love it?
Sticking with it long enough for the minor aches and pains to go away, seeing changes in my body and dramatic positive changes in my mood and outlook on life. It took a bit of time though. It's not easy exercise, but you can take it anywhere and it's a good "skill" to have. It feels good knowing that I could run across town to get to my family if I had too.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
a hilly and hot 4.1 at 7:36/mi average. Not bad for an old bastard.

permaneo vox

Powered by Silencer Shop
Trusted Trader
Sep 21, 2015
Heart of Georgia
Zip code
Just about the only workout I get is with raw barrel blanks. 50 fast rep single hand curls overhand & underhand while the cnc lathe cycle is running. I get the burn after a few sets of them. I also stretch with the raw 16" blanks.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Golds Dougie. Let me know if you want to go with sometime and check it out
[DOUBLEPOST=1466562738][/DOUBLEPOST]
Reported. Have to have a man bun to join

I would but that's a little bit of a haul from Towne Lake. I go to LA Fitness only because it's close.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Sticking with it long enough for the minor aches and pains to go away, seeing changes in my body and dramatic positive changes in my mood and outlook on life. It took a bit of time though. It's not easy exercise, but you can take it anywhere and it's a good "skill" to have. It feels good knowing that I could run across town to get to my family if I had too.
So @Laufen I went to a gym to actually workout for the first time in literally years and hopped on a treadmill and ran a half mile before my freaking shins hurt so bad I couldn't possibly go any further. Keep in mind i'm 25 and 6'4" 200lbs, so I don't think its a getting old or carrying around extra body weight thing. Is this an "ache or pain" that went away for you? Because good night that was miserable. It was better after a few miles on a bike then back on the treadmill, but was kind of lingering. I wonder if theres a good warmup to alleviate that.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
So @Laufen I went to a gym to actually workout for the first time in literally years and hopped on a treadmill and ran a half mile before my freaking shins hurt so bad I couldn't possibly go any further. Keep in mind i'm 25 and 6'4" 200lbs, so I don't think its a getting old or carrying around extra body weight thing. Is this an "ache or pain" that went away for you? Because good night that was miserable. It was better after a few miles on a bike then back on the treadmill, but was kind of lingering. I wonder if theres a good warmup to alleviate that.
Yep, that's shin splints and there's nothing you can do except fill a bucket full of ice water and ice down after you run. Sparingly use ibuprofen too.

I dealt with them off and on for a good 6 months. Avoid running downhill also, that can aggravate them.

Also, make sure you've been properly fitted for shoes (depending on your foot strike and stride). That makes a world of difference.

Wearing worn out old shoes is another culprit for bringing on shin splints. Shoes aren't like tires, you can't tell when they're worn out based on the tread.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Yep, that's shin splints and there's nothing you can do except fill a bucket full of ice water and ice down after you run. Sparingly use ibuprofen too.

I dealt with them off and on for a good 6 months. Avoid running downhill also, that can aggravate them.

Also, make sure you've been properly fitted for shoes (depending on your foot strike and stride). That makes a world of difference.

Wearing worn out old shoes is another culprit for bringing on shin splints. Shoes aren't like tires, you can't tell when they're worn out based on the tread.
Well the shoes I was wearing were about 5-6 years old. Shit. I will start there. After riding the fake bike for 5 miles I was able to hop back on and get another 1.25 miles running (flat on a treadmill at 6mph) before they started hurting again. Thats why I assumed there might be a good way to get them "warmed up" or similar. Maybe today ill try some walking and biking first. Idk.

But new shoes first... got it lol.

Reactions: Laufen

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Im thinking back to my highschool/college sports playing days now and long distance running tended to hurt my shins then too while quick back and forth stuff never did in the slightest. Luckily I played basketball and tennis so there wasnt ever tons of distance running involved.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Im thinking back to my highschool/college sports playing days now and long distance running tended to hurt my shins then too while quick back and forth stuff never did in the slightest. Luckily I played basketball and tennis so there wasnt ever tons of distance running involved.
Ice those shins, properly fitted shoes, and sticktoittiveness. That's all you need.

Some ice packs or bags of frozen peas saran wrapped around your shins post run helps a lot too.

As a rule of thumb, your shoes break down internally and fail to provide the proper fit and support after about 400 miles. I switch mine out after every 3-400 to avoid aches and pains that creep in if I wait too long.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Gonna hit it again today prob. Wouldnt mind dropping 10 lbs then putting it right back on.

Im doing only intense cardio and abs for a little while as I get back into being active. After being told to run run run every day for 8 years through highschool and college varsity sports I enjoyed doing nothing for a while lol.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
9 miles no water. Getting the heat tolerance built up.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
5.66 hilly mofo miles. 462 ft of gain.

Woodstock

Tracker
Jun 29, 2015
Zip code
Went to the gym, lift and some cardio, talked with womens, done. I really need to do more cardio, cant stand it.