Does anyone carry a G43?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
The threat has changed a lot in the past decade. Prior, we were worried about the mugger. Now, we're adding the active shooter to the mix. This adds body armor, which greatly narrows the target area.

Smaller target means several things:
1. You're gonna need a more accurate pistol. I guess it would be more correct to say that you're going to need a pistol that you can shoot more accurately. One of the things that make a pistol easier to shoot accurately is a longer sight radius, along with a large, easy-to-see set of sights. By nature, subcompacts and pocket pistols have shorter sight radii, and usually a smaller set of sights.

2. Harder to hit target area means you're gonna need more ammo to get the job done. Again, subcompacts and pocket pistols have a lower capacity. How many rounds will it take to win the fight? You won't know until it's over, if you're still around.

3. Typically, with all other factors being equal, smaller pistols are less reliable. The G19 is less reliable than the G17. That ain't an opinion, it's a fact proven in many tests, including those done by Glock. Now, the G19 is still a highly reliable handgun, I'm carrying one right now, but it's something to think about. Those tiny, easy-to-carry handguns are less reliable than their larger brethren.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
^^^ LOL at "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Gunsite Grad

Charter member
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Druid Hills & Kennworthstock
Zip code
The threat has changed a lot in the past decade. Prior, we were worried about the mugger. Now, we're adding the active shooter to the mix. This adds body armor, which greatly narrows the target area.

Smaller target means several things:
1. You're gonna need a more accurate pistol. I guess it would be more correct to say that you're going to need a pistol that you can shoot more accurately. One of the things that make a pistol easier to shoot accurately is a longer sight radius, along with a large, easy-to-see set of sights. By nature, subcompacts and pocket pistols have shorter sight radii, and usually a smaller set of sights.

2. Harder to hit target area means you're gonna need more ammo to get the job done. Again, subcompacts and pocket pistols have a lower capacity. How many rounds will it take to win the fight? You won't know until it's over, if you're still around.

3. Typically, with all other factors being equal, smaller pistols are less reliable. The G19 is less reliable than the G17. That ain't an opinion, it's a fact proven in many tests, including those done by Glock. Now, the G19 is still a highly reliable handgun, I'm carrying one right now, but it's something to think about. Those tiny, easy-to-carry handguns are less reliable than their larger brethren.
To paraphrase Clint Smith: your handgun is used to fight your way back to your rifle which you never should have left behind to begin with.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I've always like the Clint Smith quote a lot, but in all honesty find it to be a fallacy.

History say that you are gonna fight with the gun that you have on your person, and only that gun. The encounter will be over before you can get to your vehicle (or wherever you have a proper gun stored) and get back to the fight.

An active shooter incident may be different, but chances are slim that you can make it back to that long gun.

Reactions: freedom

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I've always like the Clint Smith quote a lot, but in all honesty find it to be a fallacy.

History say that you are gonna fight with the gun that you have on your person, and only that gun. The encounter will be over before you can get to your vehicle (or wherever you have a proper gun stored) and get back to the fight.

An active shooter incident may be different, but chances are slim that you can make it back to that long gun.

This and your earlier post are why I ditched my .380 years ago. I'm not that great a shot with a handgun, but if I can't shoot a 6" or so group at 25 with it, I won't carry it.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
For LEO's, it's quite a bit different.

In my street cops days, I didn't think twice about slinging up a shotgun/rifle/carbine/SMG to handle a call I thought might warrant it. Civilians don't realistically have that option.

Whenever I had the option, I always went heavy.