Build ideas

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
Yeah. I don't like waiting, part of the reason I haven't gotten into NFA stuff. If I can't walk out with one the same day I won't get it.
I almost had a fucking stroke waiting for my Form 1 to come back

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
I bet, It takes me a while to save up for a gun, several months at least. I dont want to ad another 6-12 months wait on top of that.
That's the good part of building. You can do it a little at a time.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
That's the good part of building. You can do it a little at a time.
I plan on getting into some NFA stuff eventually, but not yet. I'll probably start with a SBR so I can shoot it as a pistol till the stamp comes.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Sorry I'm late to the party. Some......interesting.......conjectures so far.

Sounds like you're decided on .308. Can't go wrong there. The 5.56 would do everything you're wanting to do, with the right ammo. .308 gives you a wider margin; don't have to be nearly as picky on what load you use for hunting deer and hogs, capacity is still good, and recoil ain't bad. Ammo interchangeability between rifles can be a consideration.

5.56 is very capable of accurate, deadly shots on game (and targets) within the range limits you gave.

.308 and 5.56 are by far the 2 calibers I shoot the most of out of my long guns.

My top picks in an off-the-shelf bolt gun are several models of the Remington 700 (700P, Mil Spec 5R, etc.) and the Ruger Precision Rifle. The Tikka's are excellent shooters, as well. It's a personal thing, but I wouldn't own a Savage for the length of time it would take me to sell/swap it, although they tend to be good shooters.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Laufen was on the nose about optics. Quality trumps quantity when it comes to optics.

2.5-10x is an excellent power range for all-around hunting, as well as target shooting at distances out past what you listed.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Sorry I'm late to the party. Some......interesting.......conjectures so far.

Sounds like you're decided on .308. Can't go wrong there. The 5.56 would do everything you're wanting to do, with the right ammo. .308 gives you a wider margin; don't have to be nearly as picky on what load you use for hunting deer and hogs, capacity is still good, and recoil ain't bad. Ammo interchangeability between rifles can be a consideration.

5.56 is very capable of accurate, deadly shots on game (and targets) within the range limits you gave.

.308 and 5.56 are by far the 2 calibers I shoot the most of out of my long guns.

My top picks in an off-the-shelf bolt gun are several models of the Remington 700 (700P, Mil Spec 5R, etc.) and the Ruger Precision Rifle. The Tikka's are excellent shooters, as well. It's a personal thing, but I wouldn't own a Savage for the length of time it would take me to sell/swap it, although they tend to be good shooters.
Thanks for the insight. I need to research various .223 loads more. I just want to make sure I can humanely put down a hog with it. From what some of y'all have said the heavier bullets seem to do the job.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
For coyotes and hogs, I think a solid hunting .223 round is adequate (I like the Fusion MSR for these applications). I've still not completely warmed up to the idea of using it for whitetails, but many have and will advocate for it. Maybe I'll try it next year as I'm set on venison at the moment.

As for cheap plinking rounds, there really are only a few calibers that will get you that: .223/5.56, wolf 6.5 grendel, 5.45, and 7.62x39. There may be more that I'm not thinking about at the moment.

I love my 6.8 rifle but I can't afford to blow through 100 rounds of 6.8 every other weekend at the range. In my experience, it's devastating on whitetails (I'm 3 for 3 with that rifle).

I considered a 6.5 grendel rifle for a while but decided against it because I hunt at less than 200 yards. Also, the real upside for that round seems to demand an 18"+ barrel. Once I add my 30 cal suppressor, it would be a beast. Might as well go all the way up to a 308.

I took my one and only whitetail this year with a 300 SBR. Still like this round, but I keep waiting on the plinking ammo prices to drop a bit. Also, I feel like the deer ran further after being shot versus what the 6.8 would've done. No scientific evidence for this (there's never an "apples to apples" comparison) but I did hit the doe in the same exact location at the same distance as I did a similar sized doe last year with my 6.8. She ran further but an 8" barrel is not the same as a 16".

Just some of my thoughts, because i've been in the same boat over the years.

Reactions: AtlMedic

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Overall, how do you like it?
Ridiculously accurate with good ammo. The adjustable stock is sturdy, but adjusting it is clunky and not as user friendly as something like a Magpul PRS stock.

The rail is ok and the provided rail section attached with a nice tight fit and secured very solid.

Safety selector on mine is smooth and has positive clicks for safe/fire. No rattle like some have experienced. Trigger is adjustable, I have yet to adjust it though as it feels pretty light and crisp from Ruger.

My only complaint is that you can tell they kind of rush them out the door. My handgaurd is not 100% pallerlel to the barrel (I was able to move it back) and the muzzle device was not timed properly (slightly canted) although it's coming off to be replaced with a 51T mount. The brake does work rather well. Very soft recoil and minimal muzzle movement.

Since there is no rail on top of the handgaurd, I was not worried with it too much with it being a little off center as I don't plan on running my optic mount except on the 20moa rail they come with.

The bolt shroud on the Gen2's are aluminum as well vs the shitty plastic on the Gen1's. Comes with 2 PMAGS as well.

Bolt has a fair amount of slop like most all other rifles in this budget/precision price point. If you are looking for butter smooth Sako like action, this is not the rifle for you. It functions just fine and I am sure it will break in some with enough rounds, it's just not super smooth. The bolt handle is a good size though. Big enough to easily manipulate but not so clunky that you feel like you grabbing a car shifter to move the bolt. It would be nice if it was slightly knurled though.

Mags go in ok, the universal AK style release could be improved upon though. Does require a firm engagement and tug on the mag to get them swapped. Would favor an AR15 style release but also understand this could take away from some of the mag compatibility options.

Overall:

Accuracy value: 10/10
Assembly quality: 7.5/10
Trigger feel and adjustments: 10/10
Chassis: 10/10
Stock: 8/10
Muzzle device: 9/10 (if you are going to leave it)
Bolt fit and feel: 8/10
Mag fitment: 9/10
Mag release: 7.5/10
Grip: 9/10
Aesthetics (because no one want some shit that looks like a hi-point carbine): 10/10

Total value: 8.9/10

Would recommend one in 6.5cm to anyone that can snag one for $1,200 or less. Fantastic value compared to trying to build a Rem 700 or alike configured in a comparable manor.

I have a 308 barrel for it as well, just don't think I am going to swap it any time soon due to how accurate the 6.5 barrel is. Would like to see how it would perform though as well one of these days.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Ridiculously accurate with good ammo. The adjustable stock is sturdy, but adjusting it is clunky and not as user friendly as something like a Magpul PRS stock.

The rail is ok and the provided rail section attached with a nice tight fit and secured very solid.

Safety selector on mine is smooth and has positive clicks for safe/fire. No rattle like some have experienced. Trigger is adjustable, I have yet to adjust it though as it feels pretty light and crisp from Ruger.

My only complaint is that you can tell they kind of rush them out the door. My handgaurd is not 100% pallerlel to the barrel (I was able to move it back) and the muzzle device was not timed properly (slightly canted) although it's coming off to be replaced with a 51T mount. The brake does work rather well. Very soft recoil and minimal muzzle movement.

Since there is no rail on top of the handgaurd, I was not worried with it too much with it being a little off center as I don't plan on running my optic mount except on the 20moa rail they come with.

The bolt shroud on the Gen2's are aluminum as well vs the shitty plastic on the Gen1's. Comes with 2 PMAGS as well.

Bolt has a fair amount of slop like most all other rifles in this budget/precision price point. If you are looking for butter smooth Sako like action, this is not the rifle for you. It functions just fine and I am sure it will break in some with enough rounds, it's just not super smooth. The bolt handle is a good size though. Big enough to easily manipulate but not so clunky that you feel like you grabbing a car shifter to move the bolt. It would be nice if it was slightly knurled though.

Mags go in ok, the universal AK style release could be improved upon though. Does require a firm engagement and tug on the mag to get them swapped. Would favor an AR15 style release but also understand this could take away from some of the mag compatibility options.

Overall:

Accuracy value: 10/10
Assembly quality: 7.5/10
Trigger feel and adjustments: 10/10
Chassis: 10/10
Stock: 8/10
Muzzle device: 9/10 (if you are going to leave it)
Bolt fit and feel: 8/10
Mag fitment: 9/10
Mag release: 7.5/10
Grip: 9/10
Aesthetics (because no one want some shit that looks like a hi-point carbine): 10/10

Total value: 8.9/10

Would recommend one in 6.5cm to anyone that can snag one for $1,200 or less. Fantastic value compared to trying to build a Rem 700 or alike configured in a comparable manor.

I have a 308 barrel for it as well, just don't think I am going to swap it any time soon due to how accurate the 6.5 barrel is. Would like to see how it would perform though as well one of these days.

thanks for the info, If I end up going that route I will get one in .308, if you havent swapped your barrel out by then we can go out and do a side by side with them.

Reactions: Wallace

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Thanks for the insight. I need to research various .223 loads more. I just want to make sure I can humanely put down a hog with it. From what some of y'all have said the heavier bullets seem to do the job.
Not necessarily "heavier", but heavier built. Built with thicker jackets and higher density lead that will both expand and penetrate (or solid copper). I'd much rather use a 55 gr GMX on deer and pigs than a 70 grain V-Max.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Not necessarily "heavier", but heavier built. Built with thicker jackets and higher density lead that will both expand and penetrate (or solid copper). I'd much rather use a 55 gr GMX on deer and pigs than a 70 grain V-Max.
Thank you for the clarification. Ive been reading some this morning and it looks like I may be ok with a .223 for what I want. I do think a .308 would be more fun but cheaper ammo is really nice.

Reactions: 1776 and Laufen