Build ideas

GA Firing Line

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
I know, Im not proud of it.

I know, for my needs all of this is all over kill. But, I like projects. I have thought about just saying fuck it and getting one of the below because most of the work is already done and they would do everything I could ever want and more. The main thing I dont like about the Tikka over a 700 or savage is the limited amount of parts. Even if it doesnt need anything changed, I still like to tinker with stuff.

Ruger Precision in .308
http://www.ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/models.html

Savage 10 RCP-SR
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR

or even a Mossberg MVP (to be different, and they offer a package with a nice Vortex scope)
http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mvp-series/mvp-lc-light-chassis/

You won't find a ruger precision available on the market for a while. Retail should be around 899 and they are going for over 1250 if you can find one.

MVP is not customizable.

Your best bet is the savage or remington 700

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
You won't find a ruger precision available on the market for a while. Retail should be around 899 and they are going for over 1250 if you can find one.

MVP is not customizable.

Your best bet is the savage or remington 700
If I dont build an AR pattern it will take me a while to save my money.
The reason I was looking at the precision and the MVP were more if I decided to not worry about customizing and they already have the things I would want to upgrade to anyway. Its purely for aesthetics but I like the chassis that the precision and MVP are in, but to buy one for a savage or 700 will cost another 400+ so it may be cheaper to buy the MVP or Ruger.

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
If I dont build an AR pattern it will take me a while to save my money.
The reason I was looking at the precision and the MVP were more if I decided to not worry about customizing and they already have the things I would want to upgrade to anyway. Its purely for aesthetics but I like the chassis that the precision and MVP are in, but to buy one for a savage or 700 will cost another 400+ so it may be cheaper to buy the MVP or Ruger.

Ruger is cheaper in everyway. Only problem is that they are on backorder for the next year lol.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
By the time you buy the stock, bottom metal, and rifle, you might as well just buy a Tikka ....something that will have a better trigger and barrel right out of the gate. *Likes to muddy the waters* lol

It's not a Magpul stock, but it'll knock the catshit out of the Remington 700.
http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-compact-tactical-rifle

I'm sure it shoots very well, but it's a fugly rifle.

I want to build this !!!
308boltgun.jpg

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Ruger is cheaper in everyway. Only problem is that they are on backorder for the next year lol.
It may be worth waiting then. I still plan on getting a Glock mag AR, a HD shotgun, a .22, and a couple more pistols. So I can wait a bit for a precision gun.

Reactions: Patryn

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
It may be worth waiting then. I still plan on getting a Glock mag AR, a HD shotgun, a .22, and a couple more pistols. So I can wait a bit for a precision gun.

Im just saying. We cannot get any model of the Precision in. Since they were made available.

EugenFJR

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Im just saying. We cannot get any model of the Precision in. Since they were made available.

What is the .308 upper you have in stock? I know it's AP... but is it a Key mod? Or free float? M4 style? A picture would be awesome... hint, hint...

Patryn

The Prepared Plunderer
Aug 13, 2015
GA
What is the .308 upper you have in stock? I know it's AP... but is it a Key mod? Or free float? M4 style? A picture would be awesome... hint, hint...

The make is Aero Precision. Model is M5. Pictures are posted on all our social media accounts.....hint hint.

Reactions: EugenFJR

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
My LGS has gotten 2 that I've seen, but they didn't last long. Don't remember the price, think $999.
Yeah. I don't like waiting, part of the reason I haven't gotten into NFA stuff. If I can't walk out with one the same day I won't get it.

EugenFJR

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Just get a Savage rifle... I'm amazed how well mine shoots. And its 22 years old... ( just like my girlfriend. ;) )

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
I wanted the same thing. So I built an SPR with the similar specs as the MK12 M0d 1.. I used a different rail and flash hider and gas block.

27583659881_bd2e5f729a_o.jpg

Maybe one day I'll convert it to a clone like the other ARs.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
@Wallace got his there, I don't remember the wait
Yep, and they are no longer $939 since Ruger cancelled all Gen 1 RPR dealer orders, you can only get gen 2's now, which is what I ended up with. $1,299 and a 10-11 month wait for 6.5cm. 243's were kind of quick to get and they even had the last gen1 demo model for sale quite a while as its just not a popular option, 308's were coming in in batches much more frequent than 6.5CM. I was in the 3rd batch of 6.5cm they received in that time period. I think AO claimed they came in under 10 rifles at a time.

I don't even think they offer 243 anymore? I didn't like the $1,299 price of the Gen2 and was literally going to cancel my order at the end of the week, but they called and said it came in, so I figured, why not. The $939 was what I was hoping for as I could have gotten better glass with the extra cash.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Yep, and they are no longer $939 since Ruger cancelled all Gen 1 RPR dealer orders, you can only get gen 2's now, which is what I ended up with. $1,299 and a 10-11 month wait for 6.5cm. 243's were kind of quick to get and they even had the last gen1 demo model for sale quite a while as its just not a popular option, 308's were coming in in batches much more frequent than 6.5CM. I was in the 3rd batch of 6.5cm they received in that time period. I think AO claimed they came in under 10 rifles at a time.

I don't even think they offer 243 anymore? I didn't like the $1,299 price of the Gen2 and was literally going to cancel my order at the end of the week, but they called and said it came in, so I figured, why not. The $939 was what I was hoping for as I could have gotten better glass with the extra cash.
Overall, how do you like it?