Smith and Wesson releasing threaded, tall sight, and milled slide M&P

American Revival Apparel Company

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
10268_01_lg.jpg

Comes with both threaded and standard barrel. 1/2x28.

Adds $175 to the MSRP, which is a steal with the added benefit of a threaded barrel($100-$200), tall sights ($60), and slide milling ($$$).

Reactions: Red Dawn and Shemp

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Theres also a ported version with a milled lightened slide. It comes with a ported(for compensators) and non ported threaded barrel.
10267_01_lg.jpg

Reactions: DMR

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Theres also a ported version with a milled lightened slide. It comes with a ported(for compensators) and non ported threaded barrel.
10267_01_lg.jpg
I'm just glad to see them putting an effort into threaded barrels again. Apparently, ports are an "in-thing" for S&W lately.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Just curious, what don't you like about them?

They've just never made an impression on me. They aren't bad pistols by any means...I had an M&P 45C with the full Apex trigger in it. It was nice...but the gun really needs a nice big undercut on the trigger guard to be comfortable for me. Otherwise....I just felt "meh" about it. I'd rather have a full size M&P45 with the Apex kit than a G21SF, though.....If I can't have my USP45

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
They've just never made an impression on me. They aren't bad pistols by any means...I had an M&P 45C with the full Apex trigger in it. It was nice...but the gun really needs a nice big undercut on the trigger guard to be comfortable for me. Otherwise....I just felt "meh" about it. I'd rather have a full size M&P45 with the Apex kit than a G21SF, though.....If I can't have my USP45
I'm actually an M&P guy. Several years ago, when I converted over to 9mm, away from 40, I bought an M&P. I was coming from a string of guns including HK, Sig, a couple of 1911s and somewhere in between, a couple of Glocks. I liked the M&P because of the ergos. Then along came Apex, which solidified my position.

My primary bedside and training pistol is a fullsize MP9, with an Apex FSS. At one point, I tried to go back to a Glock, but couldn't get adjusted to the grip angle after several years of shooting guns that closely approximate a 1911 grip.

I've also tried the PPQ a couple of times and a VP9. For me, the combination of the Apex FSS and the smooth recoil of the MP9 has been hard to beat. Better trigger than the VP9 and better recoil management than the PPQ. However, it is not as accurate as my former Sigs, HKs or PPQs. It's acceptable, but not super accurate. Also, the control placement for the M&P is just about perfect.

I wouldn't say that I love the M&P or that it's superior to other options. But it works really well for me with the Apex trigger.

Reactions: Red Dawn and Shemp

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I'm actually an M&P guy. Several years ago, when I converted over to 9mm, away from 40, I bought an M&P. I was coming from a string of guns including HK, Sig, a couple of 1911s and somewhere in between, a couple of Glocks. I liked the M&P because of the ergos. Then along came Apex, which solidified my position.

My primary bedside and training pistol is a fullsize MP9, with an Apex FSS. At one point, I tried to go back to a Glock, but couldn't get adjusted to the grip angle after several years of shooting guns that closely approximate a 1911 grip.

I've also tried the PPQ a couple of times and a VP9. For me, the combination of the Apex FSS and the smooth recoil of the MP9 has been hard to beat. Better trigger than the VP9 and better recoil management than the PPQ. However, it is not as accurate as my former Sigs, HKs or PPQs. It's acceptable, but not super accurate. Also, the control placement for the M&P is just about perfect.

I wouldn't say that I love the M&P or that it's superior to other options. But it works really well for me with the Apex trigger.

I wish I could say the same...especially since they are so cheap with military pricing. For me the VP9 is the single best 9mm poly handgun on the market today...straight out of the box. As soon as one is in stock somewhere I plan on trying out the new PPQ45....until the VP45 finally comes out. ( I hope).

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
so M&P's require a tool for takedown or am i misremembering?
Actually, they want you to use the built in pin that retains the back strap for disassembly. You're supposed to use it to push down the sear disengagement lever. This is a "safety feature" to avoid pulling the trigger during disassembly like the Glock.

But you don't have to use this method. You can use your finger or any other tool to push down the lever. OR just do what I do and pull the trigger to disengage the sear after clearing the gun. Breakdown is quick and simple. Lock slide to rear, turn the takedown lever, lower the slide under tension (do not drop the slide release and allow it to slam forward), align it with the rear of the frame, pull trigger, remove slide.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
the VTAC models of the M&P are pretty great though....add the Apex trigger and you've got yourself a reasonably priced combat handgun read for suppression.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I love the M&P 9. Great to see the improvements being reasonable on the CORE. I carry train and have beside the bed my full size 9. It just feels right and shoots good for me.

Reactions: DarthVader

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I wish I could say the same...especially since they are so cheap with military pricing. For me the VP9 is the single best 9mm poly handgun on the market today...straight out of the box. As soon as one is in stock somewhere I plan on trying out the new PPQ45....until the VP45 finally comes out. ( I hope).
I currently own a fullsize and compact MP9, as well as a Shield. I liked the VP9 alot, but swapping platforms all the time was messing me up. Admittedly, the Apex trigger has me spoiled. But if HK ever releases a VP9 compact, I'd probably give it another go.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
the VTAC models of the M&P are pretty great though....add the Apex trigger and you've got yourself a reasonably priced combat handgun read for suppression.
Those VTAC sights drive me nuts! On any M&P, the first thing to go are the sights. Almost every one I've owned has lost the front sight dot within 100 rounds. They use a paint filler in a drilled out hole for the front sight. I had one where the dot disintegrated just from racking the slide, before I ever fired a round through it. I consider them equivalent to Glock sights, placeholders until I can drop in a set of Heinie Straight Eights.