Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
@KERTWOOD and car experts - wife's Pathfinder with 160k miles started idling really rough. Took to dealer instead of local mechanic mostly due to local mechanic is cheaper but takes way longer. Dealer wanted to replace the cat for $3k! And also flushed the fuel line and replaced the fuel damper. I'd never heard of the latter. Car is running way smoother now but the dealer is convinced the car is going to blow up since I didn't replace the cat. I drove for years with a check engine in a maxima as we don't have emissions in our county. So is the dealer full of it or should I have my local guy replace the cat so the engine doesn't have catastrophic failure?

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
@KERTWOOD and car experts - wife's Pathfinder with 160k miles started idling really rough. Took to dealer instead of local mechanic mostly due to local mechanic is cheaper but takes way longer. Dealer wanted to replace the cat for $3k! And also flushed the fuel line and replaced the fuel damper. I'd never heard of the latter. Car is running way smoother now but the dealer is convinced the car is going to blow up since I didn't replace the cat. I drove for years with a check engine in a maxima as we don't have emissions in our county. So is the dealer full of it or should I have my local guy replace the cat so the engine doesn't have catastrophic failure?
If the cat is completely and utterly clogged to where it is not allowing a significant majority of exhaust past it yes, that can screw up the engine. It will stop running, but not catastrophically. Cats are a high margin item for them. I've never heard of a fuel damper, sounds like blinker fluid. Then again, Nissan's are weird. New cats are like $550-700ish usually, installed, at a muffler shop. Sometimes more depending how big it is. If its integrated with the exhaust manifold like it is on alot of newer cars then it should easily be 1500 for the part alone.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
But, in general, dealers are full of shit. They told my MIL she needed 12k in work, basically replacing the entire engine, when all it needed was a new turbo. I looked over the estimate and they had items listed twice to inflate the price. Why does a 4 cyl need 3 one-piece intake manifolds? A new crate engine was like $4.5k. ....from them. So yeah, dont belive a word they say

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
But, in general, dealers are full of shit. They told my MIL she needed 12k in work, basically replacing the entire engine, when all it needed was a new turbo. I looked over the estimate and they had items listed twice to inflate the price. Why does a 4 cyl need 3 one-piece intake manifolds? A new crate engine was like $4.5k. ....from them. So yeah, dont belive a word they say
When I found an honest Indy for my Porsche, I was absolutely thrilled. I can't begin to imagine what a dealer would charge. I haven't found a good one in Atlanta though.

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes

The local mechanic is a retired guy who has his own shop at his house with a lift. He's way cheaper but covered up and usually needs a few days. The car is 6 years old so I can't imagine the cat is completely clogged. The check engine is intermittent. Nissans are bad for that in my experience. When she called back the other day I asked if they were just trying to see how much they could charge us.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
The local mechanic is a retired guy who has his own shop at his house with a lift. He's way cheaper but covered up and usually needs a few days. The car is 6 years old so I can't imagine the cat is completely clogged. The check engine is intermittent. Nissans are bad for that in my experience. When she called back the other day I asked if they were just trying to see how much they could charge us.
The only way,well the primary way, it would get clogged is if the car has been running insanely rich and chugging black smoke(unburned fuel) like a bro-diesel pavement queen. Otherwise, cats last longer than most vehicles do.

mark23

Kalash Klub Babysitter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Yes
The only way,well the primary way, it would get clogged is if the car has been running insanely rich and chugging black smoke(unburned fuel) like a bro-diesel pavement queen. Otherwise, cats last longer than most vehicles do.

No smoke, no strange smells but throwing some cat codes. Since the service the light hasn't come back on yet. When my maxima had the o2/cat codes another mechanic said don't fix it if you don't have emissions to deal with.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
No smoke, no strange smells but throwing some cat codes. Since the service the light hasn't come back on yet. When my maxima had the o2/cat codes another mechanic said don't fix it if you don't have emissions to deal with.
Worst it will likely do is give subpar fuel economy. I replace O2s myself since they are cheap. Alot of newer cars will throw the ECU into limp mode for major emissions codes like that. Really, any code stored in the OBD 2 is emissions related. If the O2 readings are off it can make the car run rich or lean. There are usually 2 O2 sensors, one upstream and one down stream of the cat. The readings are averaged to help tune fuel trims. Some newer cars have 3 or 4. Another reason I buy older cars.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code

That's good news because I need to get the emissions test on my 2001 Lesabre, that never needed one because it was in a state that didn't require them. Going to get it tested tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed, so I can get the Ga. title and tag.

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
That's good news because I need to get the emissions test on my 2001 Lesabre, that never needed one because it was in a state that didn't require them. Going to get it tested tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed, so I can get the Ga. title and tag.
GA emissions are a joke, for the most part. As long as there's nothing obviously wrong, you're saving the planet!

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Make a couple good highway runs with it....not sure how long it's been sitting but giving it WOT on the on ramp every once in a while isnt a bad idea.