• Wipe and sit

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Birdnest

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • eww, i'm to uppidy to use a public tiolet

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
AK47, as known in US, is AKM in Russia. Links above were good.
Short, short intro to AKs.
Galil is Israeli variant of AK, basee on Finnish Valmet, which is an AK variant. It is milled, not Stamped, receiver. Heavier, but lasts longer (either one would not be wornn out by semiauto fire). Galil ACE is the latest variation of it. It moved charging handle to the left side and put a full size rail on the receiver.
SA85 is Hungarian name for AKM.
Beryl, Tantal, WBP are more modern Polish variants of AKM

PS depending where you live, I am sure one of the Klubbers could let you fondle and look or shoot an AK.

Vepr is a Russian made civilian version of a LMG, known as RPK. Until I laid hands on a Galil, it was the most accurate AK-type weapon I shot (in Soviet Army soldiers were trained to shoot RPK74 in semiauto, sorta DMR role, not just as LMG). It has a stamped recever 50% thicker than AKM, and a barrel thicker than AKM.
WASR, SAR1, SAR2, SAR1, WASR10/63, Draco are Romanian made AKs for exports.
Saiga and Vepr are Rissian AKs.
Bulgarian Arsenal is another AK manufacturer available in US now. They have their own models, dozens of them, so you have learn them separatly or ask questions.
MAADI is Egyptian made AK, no longer imported. Original factory was set up by USSR, before Egypt pivoted to the West.

Feel free to PM with any questions u might have. I am lost in AR world and I am blessed to have a friend I can ask basic (to him) questions about ARs :)

Many Soviet/ Russian SpecOps units went back to 7.62x39, after the first war in Chechnya. It is more sutable for urban warfare, it will punch thru cinder block and still wound or kill a BG on the other side of the wall. 5.45x39 cannot do that.
Thanks a bunch! I'll read the links posted to try figure out a bit more, but as @Grunk said, this at least gets me started.
I'm sure there are a ton of tiny things that are not compatible from one type to the next, and that's where the really hard part is - knowing which parts work in which model.

As far as AR types go, it's pretty much plug-n-play with the 5.56 since they all are based off 'Mil-Spec', and as long as you're not trying to do something relatively complicated like adding a piston system or changing calibers, a simple AR is easy to build. I'd never owned one when I built my first using parts I got on the interwebz and a YT vid for instructions. Still have it, I've upgraded it a few times (better barrel, trigger, scope) and it works great. Grunk has the second one I built, and it's never given either of us any trouble. High performance ARs can be a bit more work, same for different calibers and can-ready folding pistols like mine, but it's just a bit of research. The .308AR is another story. No 'Mil-spec' to rely on, and many different platforms that aren't exactly compatible, and many parts sellers out there that don't understand the differences. Building one from an 80% is yet another level of challenge, but I enjoyed it.
Feel free to ask me anything about it, I'll tell ya' if I know, and won't BS you if I don't.

Hoss

I have no idea who owns this place
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 11, 2019
here
There is a AK74 on the ODT, that was just listed, a DDI AK74, IDK what that is. Any help or advice will be appreciated.
Classic Firearms provided Bulgarian build kits to DDI. DDI made US receivers and built the guns. They are a solid build. Some have mag wobble issues but this doesn't affect function. Good buy at the $600-$700 mark.

noclevername

Marksman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
usa
@Falcon1 this isn’t my photo, I’m at work till tomorrow. But this is pretty much what the MISR 90 looks like. Has this small plate on the back. I can’t remember if mine is straight cut or slanted receiver. I’m just curious if I can get this plate out. Pretty sure it was a straight cut.
View attachment 55724
can you send pics of your rear trunnion? all 4 sides

Reactions: Jstegman1 and 3x