Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Freezing this morning. Crazy.
Some of y'all help a dummy out, please.

I'm considering shopping for an UF next weekend. Whatever I get will not be a safe queen. What should I look for?

Also, I've been looking at some of the bake/waffle/com-bloc mags y'all seem to value. Why? Who? Best function? Just a matter of historical preference or cool factor?

Wasr UF is good to go. Check gun.deals for the best current prices. If not WASR, then Yugo M70AB2, Polish Circle 11 by Atlantic (secondary market, $1000+)

Mags--either new production Bulgarian from GunMagWarehouse.com or steel surplus. GMW also has Bulgy Poly mags, with metal reinforced feed lips and lugs ($15ish), that are good.
I did not not buy bakes when they were $30 a pop, since I could find good steel surplus for $6-$7 at the time . 1 mag vs 5 or 4. Now Bakes are $55-60, steel are $15, same 1 mag vs 4 mags.
Bulgarian waffle mags are great, but, again, my cheapness wins.
I had posted a link to WhatACountry a week ago, 20 surplus mags for $299, plus free shipping. I might buy more today. I just cannot stop! I really need to count what I have on hand now.

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Is there an UF that I should avoid? I know the I/O AKs are supposed to be garbage, but I know little else,
A lot of parts kits are questionable. Anything US made with US parts (PSA is still having issue with their PSA-AK Gen3).
Anything MADE by Century, IMHO (not imported). WASR was made overseas, M70 was contracted out to good builders.
If you find something, post a link, one of us will tell you.
Atlantic made Circle 11 kits are good, but some have Polish cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel, some have US made chrome lined barrels. I would pay $900-1000 for the first, but no more than $600 for the second. I walked away from a meet last month when I found out that AA Circle 11 UF had a US made barrel, for $800.

Personal preference, only, all of my AKs and ARs (except for 7.62x39 AR) have CHFCL barrels. That's what I grew up with, that's what I shoot. Thta's why I do not have Yugo AKs. Great rifles with CHF barrels, but no chrome lining. Jugoslavia had no large chrome deposits, so they did not chrome-lined their rifles.
Cold Hammer Forged barrel will last 40K-50K rounds, vs 10K for a regular barrel, chrome helps with cleaning, rust prevention as well as barrel life. Commie ammo has bullet jackets made out of soft steel, so I want a much harder material in my barrels.

Last edited:

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
Why would you need to forward assist it?

I got out of truck, opening day, 2016. Insert mag, load rifle. Didn't sound right. Eject round, drop bolt, sounds good.
Sun comes up, deer approaches. I squeeze trigger "click". Deer pauses, goes back to acorns.

I know that round isn't seated, I need to eject and start over. Obviously the action on a FAL is not quiet. Buck still 60 yards away, still eating. "what am I going to do?" I think...."I am not gonna wonder what would have happened, that's for sure!"

I pull bolt back fast and loud, drops in on next round, buck is looking right at me, but doesn't run. He should have.

Headed back to truck, see another deer, it never knew what happened.

After close examination, the rod attached to blot that slides in on the left side was slightly bent. (and this was a high-dollar FAL I bought from a reputable guy on the FILES)

M1A, it's really the correct answer.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I got out of truck, opening day, 2016. Insert mag, load rifle. Didn't sound right. Eject round, drop bolt, sounds good.
Sun comes up, deer approaches. I squeeze trigger "click". Deer pauses, goes back to acorns.

I know that round isn't seated, I need to eject and start over. Obviously the action on a FAL is not quiet. Buck still 60 yards away, still eating. "what am I going to do?" I think...."I am not gonna wonder what would have happened, that's for sure!"

I pull bolt back fast and loud, drops in on next round, buck is looking right at me, but doesn't run. He should have.

Headed back to truck, see another deer, it never knew what happened.

After close examination, the rod attached to blot that slides in on the left side was slightly bent. (and this was a high-dollar FAL I bought from a reputable guy on the FILES)

M1A, it's really the correct answer.
So, sounds more like you bought a broken rifle and didnt catch it until you needed it.

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Links to the mags I had mentioned.

"garandthumb" for 5% off

Knight

Yeet yite yote
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
Rocks
Ak63DS is a great rifle. I got one for $525 a year ago. Now I don’t think they are that cheap. Here is my review I did on one.

So if anyone has been considering one of these maybe this will help you decide.

The finish is nice, I like the wood I got with mine. The folder is very stiff and has no wobble, I suspect the button to unlock it will become easier as I use it more. It’s a straight folder, unlike some romanian rifles. Sights are as straight as can be, and has I belive a rak1 trigger. (Has a C on it).

Mags I have tested were magpul g1, they fit nice and have almost no wobble.
Korean metal mags fit nice as well, not too tight.
Bakelite fits good but was harder to lock in than the others.
Hungarian fit and had normal wobble like most aks
IO fit like magpul did
Romanian surplus fit but had the most wobble of all but is still functional.
Chinese flatbacks also fit and function
Tomorrow my romanian drum will be here and will give update.
E. German was a tight fit but function great.
Yugo BHO fits nice and smooth
Polish mag fits nice
Russian slabside is TIGHT

Action wasn’t the smoothest I’ve worked but again, I expect it to get smoother as it’s shot more.

It’s very compact when folded. It’s shorter than my 10.5 ar pistol with sba3 brace fully collapsed.

Very dry when I got it so I oiled it, and it has a cleaning rod. Some people make a big deal about it.

For the price of 525ish I would recommend it if you’re looking for an affordable UF.