Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
At some point, I'd like to get you to explain the differences between the AK47, Galil, SA85M, and the other 1000 variations I can't keep straight - which is strange, since I've got a talent for trivia. I think it's because I've never seen a straight comparison, and these things get tossed around here in such a haphazard manner that the uninitiated are completely fucking LOST.
AK47, as known in US, is AKM in Russia. Links above were good.
Short, short intro to AKs.
Galil is Israeli variant of AK, basee on Finnish Valmet, which is an AK variant. It is milled, not Stamped, receiver. Heavier, but lasts longer (either one would not be wornn out by semiauto fire). Galil ACE is the latest variation of it. It moved charging handle to the left side and put a full size rail on the receiver.
SA85 is Hungarian name for AKM.
Beryl, Tantal, WBP are more modern Polish variants of AKM

PS depending where you live, I am sure one of the Klubbers could let you fondle and look or shoot an AK.

Vepr is a Russian made civilian version of a LMG, known as RPK. Until I laid hands on a Galil, it was the most accurate AK-type weapon I shot (in Soviet Army soldiers were trained to shoot RPK74 in semiauto, sorta DMR role, not just as LMG). It has a stamped recever 50% thicker than AKM, and a barrel thicker than AKM.
WASR, SAR1, SAR2, SAR1, WASR10/63, Draco are Romanian made AKs for exports.
Saiga and Vepr are Rissian AKs.
Bulgarian Arsenal is another AK manufacturer available in US now. They have their own models, dozens of them, so you have learn them separatly or ask questions.
MAADI is Egyptian made AK, no longer imported. Original factory was set up by USSR, before Egypt pivoted to the West.

Feel free to PM with any questions u might have. I am lost in AR world and I am blessed to have a friend I can ask basic (to him) questions about ARs :)

Many Soviet/ Russian SpecOps units went back to 7.62x39, after the first war in Chechnya. It is more sutable for urban warfare, it will punch thru cinder block and still wound or kill a BG on the other side of the wall. 5.45x39 cannot do that.

Last edited:

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd
Zip code
AK47, as known in US, is AKM in Russia. Links above were good.
Short, short intro to AKs.
Galil is Israeli variant of AK, basee on Finnish Valmet, which is an AK variant. It is milled, not Stamped, receiver. Heavier, but lasts longer (either one would not be wornn out by semiauto fire). Galil ACE is the latest variation of it. It moved charging handle to the left side and put a full size rail on the receiver.
SA85 is Hungarian name for AKM.
Beryl, Tantal, WBP are more modern Polish variants of AKM

PS depending where you live, I am sure one of the Klubbers could let you fondle and look at AK.
Vepr is a Russian made civilian version of a LMG, known as RPK. Until I laid hands on a Galil, it was the most accurate AK-type weapon I shot. It has a stamped recever 50% thicker than AKM, and a barrel thicker than AKM.
WASR, SAR1, SAR2, SAR1, WASR10/63, Draco are Romanian made AKs for exports.
Saiga and Vepr are Rissian AKs.
Bulgarian Arsenal is another AK manufacturer avaialnale in US now. They have their oen models, dozens of them, so you have learn them separatly or ask questions.
MAADI is Egyptian made AK, no longer imported. Original factory was set up by USSR, before Egypt pivoted to the West.

Feel free to PM with any questions u might have. I am lost in AR world and I am blessed to have a friend I can ask basic (to him) questions about ARs :)
Thank you. This at least helps me get my feet under me. Given my age & our health, I don't know that I'll have the time or money to buy a lot of weapons to replace all I sold off. One goal I have is to introduce my grandnephew & 2 grandnieces to more shooting. I got my nephew into shooting since no one in his family ever was. Now that he has kids we're both getting them into shooting. His wife & her family are only tolerant of the hobby, not enthusiastic about it & are very susceptible to anti-gun media propaganda. I want the little ones to have some familiarity with the manual of arms of major weapons. groups. I've got AR, basic pump shotgun, basic bolt-action covered. My nephew, for whatever reason, prefers the Mini-14 so I can teach his kids the basics of M1 Garand & M14 actions. I want to add an AK to the mix at some point since it is such a common weapon world-wide. The whole family thinks I'm kind of weird because of this. I just figure I have no idea where these kids lives will take them or what they'll do (the oldest is just 14) but I figure basic knowledge of common weapon systems can't hurt & could well help. I also want them to understand that guns are machines not some completely alien evil thing dropped out of the sky. And I know they aren't going to get all this from anybody in their lives right now but me.

TL;DR version I guess is that when & if I have the money, I'll be looking for a basic AK to learn about & teach them rather than collecting or even learning all the variations.

Sorry for the long-winded post.