Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Jstegman1

Clown Baby
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
Da moon
I get what you’re saying, it’s a lower level of commitment.
But lemme ask this - are WASRs “nice” AKMs? Are they more likely to inspire the new owner to keep it and/or upgrade, or are they going to thing all AKMs are rattle-traps with sharp edges and rough actions - not dangerous, but just kinda MEH?

This is an honest question, I personally can’t tell a WASR from most of the others since I’ve only owned the one M70 I have now.
And many of the other AKMs I’ve seen seemed somewhat cheap by comparison.

No, there isn't anything special about the WASR other than it's price tag. It's an entry level AK that's [usually] built pretty well and runs reliably. Would I rather have a VEPR or Galil? Yeah, definitely, but I was doing quantity over quality for a while. Especially with prices of AK rising.

As for a new shooter, I'd tell them to buy a WASR any day. Would they be wrong to buy a nicer AK? Absolutely not, but it's a bigger momentary commitment to an unkown platform. I prefer to dip the toes instead of jumping in

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I get what you’re saying, it’s a lower level of commitment.
But lemme ask this - are WASRs “nice” AKMs? Are they more likely to inspire the new owner to keep it and/or upgrade, or are they going to thing all AKMs are rattle-traps with sharp edges and rough actions - not dangerous, but just kinda MEH?

This is an honest question, I personally can’t tell a WASR from most of the others since I’ve only owned the one M70 I have now.
And many of the other AKMs I’ve seen seemed somewhat cheap by comparison.

I don't see a big difference between a cheap one and an expensive one as long as we're talking about standard AKMs. They're either going to have a wire or other metal folder or a fixed stock and wood handguards. I like my AMD65 bc it's short, SBR, and has kind of a neat history.

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
I've shot the HK version. They are very nice, no question, but needlessly heavy. I'm not an AR guy but it's a very hard argument to say anything is better than it for a 5.56 gun.
Big difference. Spaniards downsized the Cetme C when they switched to Cetme L. Germans did not. Cetme L is much lighter and smaller than G33.
My PTR32 is twice as heavy as Cetme L.
Edit:
CETME L weighs 7.5 pounds
HK33 8.8 pounds

Last edited:

Knight

Yeet yite yote
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
Rocks
I don't see a big difference between a cheap one and an expensive one as long as we're talking about standard AKMs. They're either going to have a wire or other metal folder or a fixed stock and wood handguards. I like my AMD65 bc it's short, SBR, and has kind of a neat history.
But it’s ugly though

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code

Mr. Goodbar

Savage Hooligan
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Only matters where I'm going

@Peanut Butter originally yours?

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
They've always been super high

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
I have to run and trench pvc for the downspouts for the house, the sides are pretty bad as well as the front. Probably in the spring so i can get the grass to grow back. That's gonna be a big job. Gonna ask the neighbors if they want to run theirs too from the side, it's a wash. Gonna run it to the back close to the creek
Put in a french drain in. Bury a receptacle by the downspout, run perforated/slit 4" PVC in the bed of gravel, put output bucket in.. That will channel not just roof water, but surface run-off in the yard.