• Total voters

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
*** AK QUESTION ALERT ***

Let's talk about AK recoil springs. How many rounds before you replace? What's the sign it needs replacing? What do you think about the "Extra Power" recoil springs?

And go.

*** AK QUESTION ALERT ***
@Hayata
I have not replaced any springs in my AKs. My most worn is a Robarm Vepr, about 15 years old, and has had about 7K rounds. So far I have not seen any excessive peenning on the rear trunnion. I shoot more than one AK, so none have high counts.
Alao, it is not just a number of rounds, it is how overgassed the rifle is. 10K is a rough rule of thumb, but keep an eye on the rear trunnion.
+Power springs. If your rifle is not overgassed, I am not sure what benefit it provides. Extra power going back means extra power slams on the front trunnion.
Having said all that I have several milled and stamped recoil assemblies in my spares box. Leesmags has them on sale, sometimes, and on sale assembly is as much as a spring alone.
PS if rifle is really overgassed, +power springs will help to lessen the recoil and to save the rear trunnion.
Galil is ACE is overgassed by design and it has a buffer on the recoil guide, as well as a gas seal. That's the only AK with a buffer I would and did buy. It qas designed that way. It is not an afterthought on a shoddy build, like IO.

Last edited: