Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Is it worth driving 40 minutes to possibly not get it though?

If you get it, I could trade you out of it if you're interested in a different j-frame. I have the black 442 I posted earlier and an early nickel plated 442 also, neither have the lock. Either one plus cash from me.

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Can someone explain the appeal of the 5.45 round to me?
Flat shooting, accurate, lower recoil than 5.56, high ballistic coefficient, carry more ammo for the same weight. OG military bullet had a large cavity and tumbled violently in media, much better than a regular FMJ. Soviet military legend was that if entered in a thigh, it could exit thru the stomach. Gut shots with it are lethal. Again Soviets called it a meat grinder.
I grew up shooting 5.45, but it was not known in the States when I got into AKs here, so I went with 7.62x39 for ammo availability.

PS. It did poorly against concrete buildings in Chechnya, so Russia pulled AKMs from storage for special ops and airborne. And came up with a better penetrating 5.45x39 bullet designs, made by Vympel (maker of Golden Tiger).

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Can someone explain the appeal of the 5.45 round to me?

Ok, so back in the day, say 8 years ago you could buy surplus 5.45 for about 8-10 cents per round. Pretty appealing, huh?

That's why I bought a Polish Tantal and an Adams Arms uppper in 5.45. It's a superior round to .223 if you ask me. But then again, not much in the way of match ammo to be purchased in that caliber so there's that.

Fast forward to ammo apocalypse and then the govt restriction on the importation because it is considered "AP" and Olympic arms had to go and make a '74 pistol so uncle sam prevented further importation of the military surplus.

So now you have to buy commercial and it costs more than .223 and now the appeal isn't so much. It just hasn't caught on that much as far as firearms go so '74 and AR are about the only supported platforms.

post-28515-0-16896300-1292548756.jpg

During the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan the locals called it the poison bullet. It has an air cavity in the nose of the projectile that makes it tumble violently when it hits something. So it was known for tearing up flesh.