Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Mail call:

3 Yugo BHO mags, 1 Bake, and a Hungarian tanker thanks to @Augustatrader. 1 Bake from Jake on ODT(although I got in contact with him through IG thanks to @Augustatrader as well). 1 Polish fat bake grip from Lee's Mags...

Screenshot_20200116-163041_Gallery.jpg

These damn bakes aren't fitting in the magwell. It might be time to break out the hand file and do a little fitting. I don't give a fuck about Tapco or Promags not fitting. I do care about bakes not fitting.

Would it be sacrilege to take some sandpaper to the Bakelite mags? It's just barely not clearing right here on both sides. I wouldn't have to remove much material...

Screenshot_20200116-163812_Gallery.jpg

I REALLY DON'T want to fuck with the magwell. Steelies lock up tighter than a ticks ass on this thing.

Knight

Yeet yite yote
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
Rocks
Mail call:

3 Yugo BHO mags, 1 Bake, and a Hungarian tanker thanks to @Augustatrader. 1 Bake from Jake on ODT(although I got in contact with him through IG thanks to @Augustatrader as well). 1 Polish fat bake grip from Lee's Mags...

View attachment 63814

These damn bakes aren't fitting in the magwell. It might be time to break out the hand file and do a little fitting. I don't give a fuck about Tapco or Promags not fitting. I do care about bakes not fitting.

Would it be sacrilege to take some sandpaper to the Bakelite mags? It's just barely not clearing right here on both sides. I wouldn't have to remove much material...

View attachment 63817

I REALLY DON'T want to fuck with the magwell. Steelies lock up tighter than a ticks ass on this thing.
If you HAVE to do that, yes, do very light sanding to the MAG. Do not touch the mag well.

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Mail call:

View attachment 63814

View attachment 63817

Is the magwell perfectly square? Like measure corner to corner and side to side. If it's out of square, you can touch it up with a file. If it IS square...whew I dunno what to tell you then. It would be your call. I'd sure hate to sand on some pretty bakes though, but ppl sand steels all the time...

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Is the magwell perfectly square? Like measure corner to corner and side to side. If it's out of square, you can touch it up with a file. If it IS square...whew I dunno what to tell you then. It would be your call. I'd sure hate to sand on some pretty bakes though, but ppl sand steels all the time...

I'll have to fuck with it later tonight. I might end up seeing if someone who has experience filing a magwell on an AK wants to help me out in exchange for some ammo, cash or even a bake. I have a few more coming. I probably don't want to go sanding on all 6 bakes. If I do end up filing down the magwell it won't require removing very much material at all to get the bakes to fit. I'm just so conflicted. Steelies fit tight as hell but I wanna be able to flex with the bakes. :(

Fast306stang

Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I'll have to fuck with it later tonight. I might end up seeing if someone who has experience filing a magwell on an AK wants to help me out in exchange for some ammo, cash or even a bake. I have a few more coming. I probably don't want to go sanding on all 6 bakes. If I do end up filing down the magwell it won't require removing very much material at all to get the bakes to fit. I'm just so conflicted. Steelies fit tight as hell but I wanna be able to flex with the bakes. :(

I understand. I would feel EXACTLY the same way.

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
If you HAVE to do that, yes, do very light sanding to the MAG. Do not touch the mag well.
I will disagree with KK on this one. Bakelites are mil-spec mags. If they do not fit, gun is not mil-spec.
Only my PTR is picky with mags, it likes Magpul AK mags, The mag latch is too long. Rest of the AK take all mags.
I am not going to keep up with what mags go to what gun aside from PTR. Do not have time for that.

Fast306stang

Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I remember having to file the magwell on my AMD65 because of fitment issues with steel mags. I went VERY slowly and checked fit often. It didn't take much AT ALL to make a difference.

Most of my steels fit awesome. Snug. But every now and then I'll get a surplus mag that has some wobble to it.