Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

slapshut

MAG WHORE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 27, 2019
Macon ,GA.
What's the general consensus on these Bulgarian steel mags?...

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/bulgarian-ak-47-7-62x39mm-30-round-steel-magazine.html

Good deal?

The following presentation is brought to you by:

U7Cypn8.jpg

This is a comparasion between two late production Bulgarian steel 30 round AK 47 magazines. Late Bulgarian production can be identified by the inward facing rib at the top turning out in a "Y" or fork pattern as it reaches the side plates. The left and the right sides are slightly different and it is easier to identify this type looking at the left side of the magazine. There are no markings on the military surplus magazine and only slight weld marks either being finished ground and or paint filled as easily seen on the welds on the spline. The commercial magazine is made by ISD Bulgaria, LTD. Their company logo can be seen on the polymer take down plate.

f3nlnpV.jpg

The finnish on the surplus magazine is flat black matte with a slight textured surface. I have seen other flat black finishes have a more agressive texture, rougher, to the touch. The commercial magazine has a semi gloss finnish with irreglarities in what appears to be the metal finnish rather than the paint finnish. I have seen this to varing degrees and it looks rather odd, almost like rust under the paint. This gives the magazine somewhat of a better gripping surface.
Weight in grams
Body: military surplus 236 gr.
commercial 228 gr.
Floorplate: military surplus 10 gr
commercial 10 gr.
Spring/Take Down Plate/Follower: military surplus 89 gr.
commercial 63 gr.
Complete Magazine: military surplus 336 gr.
commercial 302 gr.
Note: complete magazine weight is one gram over the individual components added weight.
Spring Free Length: military surplus 20.25inches (May have lost some length due to age)
commercial 20.75 inches
Spring Diameter: approximately .063" to .064" on both
Number Of Coils: 23 coils on both counting from back of spring.

WZoANbU.jpg

Floorplates: Note polymer take down plate lug on commercial magazine. The cut out for spline is similiar on both. The raised circle and oval, general apperance, shape, and stamping is very similiar on both.
LWyk80O.jpg

Front lug: Both look similiar with the welds ground on the military surplus magazine. The shape and configuration and the machining of the front cut is again quite similiar.
owINwbe.jpg

XcxzLQi.jpg

Rear lug: Here the iridescent shine of the commercial is present and the flat blach of the military surplus. Note the welds and grind angle of the rear lug for the catch.
YiSySIl.jpg

7zXQXqK.jpg

Spline: It is approximatly .215" high on both and comes up more of a 90 degree angle from the back of the magazine on the military surplus magazine. Only slight weld marks on the military surplus and more evenly spaced welds than the commercial. The commercial magazine has 14 spot welds and 4 set/stake/spot welds which are only seen on the left side. I have not seen this before. The commercial Korean "alignment" points can be seen from both sides and are different in appearance.
FS6WHfy.jpg

Back 3 ribs: Alignment of both is good at the spline area. The ribs are very shallow, weak, and undefined on both. There is not much raising of the rib as it turns the corner fron sides of magazine.
2pKVObP.jpg

"Y" tops, side plates, and feed lips: Note on the above commercial magazine you can see six welds on the side support plates. These are almost smooth and the other side is smoother, but the military suplus magazine shows no evidence of these welds on either side and is totally smooth. Feed lips on both are smooth.

h51gn7n.jpg

BBAKVMu.jpg

Back of followers:
8Bsf1Cw.jpg

Spring color: The spring at the top is military surplus spring and has little to no enameling and maybe only grease/cosoline. The commercial has a much darker enamal finnish.
PH22uiZ.jpg

Both magazines had "U" shaped notches, two on each side, at the bottom to maybe act as a srtress reliever or to make manufacturing easier. I do not recall see these on any other magazines and the fact that both the military surplus and the commercial magazine have them leads me to believe that the manufactuers may be the same.
ca4XVcJ.jpg

Inside magazine: rear lug area
The finnish and fit is pretty bad on the commercial compared to the Military surplus.
4OgkUZo.jpg

gXlNOdc.jpg

Inside magazine: follower stops
The follower stops on the commercial magazine are very small and not very formed compared to the military surplus.The side plate welds on the inside of the magazine are ver very clean on the military surplus and quite nasty on the commercial.

XZoB5a4.jpg

O1w00Fi.jpg

Concluding notes, comments, and thoughts:
I believe the manufacturer of both magazines to be ISD Bulgaria, LTD. There are a lot of similarities in the two magazines. The commercial magazine contains a poly follower and take down plate. The follower is pretty flexiable, but this may be due to design. The finish on the commercial magazine stands out as odd. I do not think that converting the commercial magazine to use a metal follower would be a good idea due to to the finnish on the inside top and the follower stops. The military surplus horizontal ribs are crisper and not as raised as on the commercial magazine. Both are similiar.
Two links below:

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I am looking for the following stuff too. If anybody has anything let me know:
- reverse dong hand guard and cheese grater upper hand guard
- maybe a nice finished palm swell handguard set(upper and lower) @jimipanic?
- a few tanker mags
- a few bakelite mags
- AK sling that'll work well with an Underfolder.

slapshut

MAG WHORE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 27, 2019
Macon ,GA.
Hungarian FEG AK-47 20-Round Magazine *Rare* Grade 2/3 Mixture *Special Deal*

Item Number: 6310

Price: $19.95

CQB27

Kalash Klub Jumpmaster
Oct 14, 2019
Rome
Those wrap-around Pachs were so prominent in the 80's but I love 'em!

Gun's gonna look fantastic when he's done with it!
I love those Goodyear Pachs on a working gun! I actually like them better than a gun with front strap checkering. Super good grip and so ugly they are priced right! I think I paid $23 for the set I just got in the mail Friday. Black on Black....Murdered Out! I'll post some pics when I get it back!

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I love those Goodyear Pachs on a working gun! I actually like them better than a gun with front strap checkering. Super good grip and so ugly they are priced right! I think I paid $23 for the set I just got in the mail Friday. Black on Black....Murdered Out! I'll post some pics when I get it back!

Dude.

source (1).gif

CQB27

Kalash Klub Jumpmaster
Oct 14, 2019
Rome
Carried that DW A2 Commander all day today in a TTGUNLEATHER reinforced Mikes special IWB holster. Slim enough to carry at 3 O'Clock and not print. Easy carry even though it weighs more than the polymer guns I have.

DSC03629.JPG

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Carried that DW A2 Commander all day today in a TTGUNLEATHER reinforced Mikes special IWB holster. Slim enough to carry at 3 O'Clock and not print. Easy carry even though it weighs more than the polymer guns I have.

View attachment 63297

I have read nothing but great things about TT Gunleather. Holster looks AMAZING.