Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
It was $349 when I was there and he said he'd do $299.

Would I have to give him a blowjob too in order to get the special price or can I just say that I know you?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'll bet the only thing it will feed reliably is +P

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Apparently it only feeds 124gr +P reliably. You also have to swap the recoil spring every couple-hundred rounds.
I prefer high maintenance carry guns. It’s like Russian roulette everyday! The excitement never ends!

Last edited:

FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
On the Kimber Solo the owners manual suggest shooting 124-147gr ammo and a 100 round break in period. The recoil spring to be changed every 1000 rounds.

This doesn't mean you can't shoot cheap 115gr ammo at the range, It just means if you do, you might experience an occasional malfunction. Lots of people report theirs shoot anything just fine and there was a lot of people saying theirs jam all the time. My friend has one that shoots 115gr just fine.

The problem with the Solo is the Market demands "muh reliability" and wants a gun that can "eat" anything. I don't have a problem with guns that are designed to shoot a specific ammo as long as that was the designs intention and not just a coincidence after the fact.

Take an AR-15 for an example, if you want a gun that's not over gassed you're gonna have to sacrifice being able to reliably shoot cheap tula 223 all day at the range.

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
On the Kimber Solo the owners manual suggest shooting 124-147gr ammo and a 100 round break in period. The recoil spring to be changed every 1000 rounds.

This doesn't mean you can't shoot cheap 115gr ammo at the range, It just means if you do, you might experience an occasional malfunction. Lots of people report theirs shoot anything just fine and there was a lot of people saying theirs jam all the time. My friend has one that shoots 115gr just fine.

The problem with the Solo is the Market demands "muh reliability" and wants a gun that can "eat" anything. I don't have a problem with guns that are designed to shoot a specific ammo as long as that was the designs intention and not just a coincidence after the fact.

Take an AR-15 for an example, if you want a gun that's not over gassed you're gonna have to sacrifice being able to reliably shoot cheap tula 223 all day at the range.

Careful, you're making sense - that's dangerous in some parts...

Regarding the Tula ammo, or any other Russian Bi-Metal crap - you'll also have to sacrifice your barrel sooner since the other Metal in
Bi-Metal is STEEL, and sending that through your bore at ++supersonic speeds tends to wear the heck out of the lands.
Which is why an SKS barrel has such prominent rifling.

Reactions: FatAlbert

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Careful, you're making sense - that's dangerous in some parts...

Regarding the Tula ammo, or any other Russian Bi-Metal crap - you'll also have to sacrifice your barrel sooner since the other Metal in
Bi-Metal is STEEL, and sending that through your bore at ++supersonic speeds tends to wear the heck out of the lands.
Which is why an SKS barrel has such prominent rifling.

I doubt most people will ever wear out a barrel shooting Tula. I shot the shit out of Tula/Wolf in one of my old AR's(probably 5-6,000 rnds of it) and could still shoot ~MOA(cheapish 16" RRA) shooting Federal GMM ammo when I took it to the outdoor range.

H

Hoss

If you shoot out a barrel in any gun, you are obviously well versed in that gun to know everything about it. The Solo is a failure. It cannot be trusted for it's intended purpose and was discontinued for that reason. It's a cool collectors piece but not a valid SD carry weapon by any stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I doubt most people will ever wear out a barrel shooting Tula. I shot the shit out of Tula/Wolf in one of my old AR's(probably 5-6,000 rnds of it) and could still shoot ~MOA(cheapish 16" RRA) shooting Federal GMM ammo when I took it to the outdoor range.

It takes appx. 40,000 to 50,000 rounds to shoot out a CL barrel. ( according to the Army.) So a few thousand rounds of Tula won't make much of a difference in the over all wear a tear on the barrel. I quit shooting that crap because it was so inaccurate. The shot groups looked like rat shit in a dresser drawer.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
It takes appx. 40,000 to 50,000 rounds to shoot out a CL barrel. ( according to the Army.) So a few thousand rounds of Tula won't make much of a difference in the over all wear a tear on the barrel. I quit shooting that crap because it was so inaccurate. The shot groups looked like rat shit in a dresser drawer.

Exactly. I don't know anybody who shoots 40-50k rounds through any one gun. If that were the case I doubt they'd be worried about the price of replacing a barrel.

I don't mind Tula/Wolf for the indoor range or just general plinking. I know it's not gonna shoot sub-MOA groups and I don't expect it to. You're not paying for match grade ammo when you buy steel cased either though.

Reactions: 1776

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Why would Tulammo wear out a barrel faster than Federal Gold Medal?

FatAlbert

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
I wasn't referring to not shooting tula because it'll tear up your gun. I was talking about an AR that is tuned to shoot 5.56 with as little felt recoil and gas in your face as possible (especially if you want to run a suppressor) you're going to have to give up reliably shooting weak ass Tula ammo. Some people turn their nose up to that and say but but muh reliability! It's ok to have a gun that does what it's designed to do and doesn't feed any junk ammunition you give it.

I feel like that was the idea behind the Kimber Solo. Make a micro 9mm that's specifically designed to +p ammo. Sure it wasn't perfect, but I like the idea of a gun tuned to get the most out of +p ammo with the least amount of felt recoil. But we'll likely never see such a gun because people freak the fuck out when you tell them it won't reliably feed cheap white box wall Mart ammo.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I wasn't referring to not shooting tula because it'll tear up your gun. I was talking about an AR that is tuned to shoot 5.56 with as little felt recoil and gas in your face as possible (especially if you want to run a suppressor) you're going to have to give up reliably shooting weak ass Tula ammo. Some people turn their nose up to that and say but but muh reliability! It's ok to have a gun that does what it's designed to do and doesn't feed any junk ammunition you give it.

I feel like that was the idea behind the Kimber Solo. Make a micro 9mm that's specifically designed to +p ammo. Sure it wasn't perfect, but I like the idea of a gun tuned to get the most out of +p ammo with the least amount of felt recoil. But we'll likely never see such a gun because people freak the fuck out when you tell them it won't reliably feed cheap white box wall Mart ammo.
Option 1: Send a light and a heavy recoil spring so the customer can shoot everything.
Option 2: Tune it to cut down on felt recoil yourself.

I understand how it could be a bit disconcerting to take your carry gun to the range to practice with cheap ammo and have it constantly malfunction with wwb, but still be 100% with +P. It makes you wonder how close to the edge of malfunctioning with sd ammo it's actually trodding. If it's a bit dirty will it malfunction? If it's slightly limpwristed during the heat of a firefight will it malfunction?

FatAlbert

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
Option 1: Send a light and a heavy recoil spring so the customer can shoot everything.
Option 2: Tune it to cut down on felt recoil yourself.

I understand how it could be a bit disconcerting to take your carry gun to the range to practice with cheap ammo and have it constantly malfunction with wwb, but still be 100% with +P. It makes you wonder how close to the edge of malfunctioning with sd ammo it's actually trodding. If it's a bit dirty will it malfunction? If it's slightly limpwristed during the heat of a firefight will it malfunction?
The design could entail more than a simple recoil spring exchange.

Those are legit concerns, but I would say if you realize your gun is a finely tuned machine you would keep it clean I would hope, and don't bitch wrist it.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
The design could entail more than a simple recoil spring exchange.

Those are legit concerns, but I would say if you realize your gun is a finely tuned machine you would keep it clean I would hope, and don't bitch wrist it.
I like to keep my guns clean, but mine inevitably gets filled with pocket lint and dust from carry.
I don't limp wrist either, but I also can't predict what could happen in a sd scenario. Maybe I get shot in the hand and lose a finger or my ability to fully grasp my pistol..I dunno, anything could happen. I want my carry gun to absorb as many of those variables as possible.

FatAlbert

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
I like to keep my guns clean, but mine inevitably gets filled with pocket lint and dust from carry.
I don't limp wrist either, but I also can't predict what could happen in a sd scenario. Maybe I get shot in the hand and lose a finger or my ability to fully grasp my pistol..I dunno, anything is possible. I want my carry gun to absorb as many of those variables as possible.

I completely agree, and there's tons of options that fit that bill. Fact is though, for reliability you almost have to sacrifice a little accuracy and felt recoil. The market is full of reliable guns that will shoot anything, I would like to see more non custom guns that are fine tuned for a specific job. But it's hard when someone designs a gun for a specific task and people freak out when it only preforms that specific task.

The market seems to be crying for innovation on one hand, and then freaking the fuck out if someone makes something that doesn't take Glock mags, or can't handle MrXYZ's on YouTubes torture test. This is why we only have two options for innovation, either garbage from Taurus or Keltec, or something way too expensive from H&K.

Not sure what any of this had to do with the Micro 9's, I'm just rambling now.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Why would Tulammo wear out a barrel faster than Federal Gold Medal?

People think that it will because of the bimetal projectile. I'm not one of those people. It would take putting a shit ton of rounds down range to wear out a barrel using any ammo. I doubt that most people would ever have to worry about it. If you have that kind of money to spend on ammo that you shoot out a barrel I doubt you're worried about the cost of replacing a barrel.