How often to clean striker fired pistols?

Faktory 47

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Sorry, I got off track at some point on this thread and/or was not clear. No. I don't disassemble striker assembly after every time I shoot, but I probably do it more than is needed.

Also, how do I know when I have too much lubricity? Is there a measurement or gauge I can buy to check lubricity? :D

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I checked the owner's manuals for both the SR9c and the Glock 19 and neither have any instructions for removal of the striker for cleaning. Are any of y'all finding instructions from the respective factories for the average (non-gunsmith) user/owner to do this sort of detailed disassembly and reassembly? I'm sure that many of us don't find it difficult, but I really wonder how important this is for regular maintenance if the factories don't suggest it in the owner's manuals.

A

AquaHull

SkipD said:
I checked the owner's manuals for both the SR9c and the Glock 19 and neither have any instructions for removal of the striker for cleaning. Are any of y'all finding instructions from the respective factories for the average (non-gunsmith) user/owner to do this sort of detailed disassembly and reassembly? I'm sure that many of us don't find it difficult, but I really wonder how important this is for regular maintenance if the factories don't suggest it in the owner's manuals.

I use the G-Lock Armorers manual downloaded from Steves Pages.

I clean the Glocks firing pin channel when I get a light strike, which has been once in 2-3 K rounds.It might even have been the ammo's fault anyway.

A

AquaHull

RugerRon60 said:
I emailed Ruger to see what they recommend:

Response:
We would recommend cleaning of the striker channel about every 200 to 300 rounds, depending on what type of ammunition you are shooting.

This is from the same company that states that the S&B ammo has soft primers, Taurus says S&B has too hard primers, and CZ proofs their guns with S&B ammo.

It might be time to buy a better gun.

A

AquaHull

I thought my post said "from the same company", which would be Ruger , commenting on the LC9 on the old LCP forum.

Ruger has people answering emails that don't have a clue, so does Taurus. Neither company approves S&B ammo, for totally opposite reasons. CZ shoots anything, when a manufacturer starts blaming ammo for a gun malfunction, you know you have crap forming.

The email says to clean the striker at the 2-300 round mark, WTF? I shoot that at a 8 hour class in 3 hours. I can see the Instructor now, saying everybody hold up fire while the Ruger owner cleans out his gun so it will run.

Meanwhile the Glock,CZ,SIG,H&K,S&W owners are going what? Clean your gun in the middle of a class?

Ruger is at strike 2 for me.
The front site fell off my 10/22 for strike 1, and the black paint inside the receiver flaked off jamming the action. A simple disassemble with acetone , followed by a removal of all the paint helped the gun run.

Strike 2 was the LCP having to go back at 672 rounds.

My old 10/22 was flawless as was my MarkII 22, and Security Six

My new SR-22 Pistol will be the telltale on whether or not a great company has floundered. It is currently working as expected.

D

Denny4kids

OK, I confess, My SR9c has over 3000 rounds through her and I have never cleaned the striker. All that I have done is spray a cleaner, blow dry, and spray lube. The slide and other parts get special grease. I don't use this weapon for IDPA anymore but I still run a few stages with her to stay fresh. She will get a full strip and clean soon. This is my full time carry weapon. Den

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Denny4kids said:
OK, I confess, My SR9c has over 3000 rounds through her and I have never cleaned the striker. All that I have done is spray a cleaner, blow dry, and spray lube. The slide and other parts get special grease. I don't use this weapon for IDPA anymore but I still run a few stages with her to stay fresh. She will get a full strip and clean soon. This is my full time carry weapon. Den

Thats just goes to show either the Ruger rep was confused or plainly didn't know what they were talking about. I bet when you take your striker assembly apart even at 3000 rounds you will find it to be pretty clean in there and most likely could run another 3000 rounds before it actually need cleaning. I would have seen something in my research through the forums and googleing it if cleaning it was that much of an issue. I have found nothing and plan on enjoying this wonderful pistol and put some serious lead down range before I put much thought in to cleaning the stricker. Oh and love the Remora with full sweat shield.

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
AquaHull said:
My new SR-22 Pistol will be the telltale on whether or not a great company has floundered. It is currently working as expected.

I have to jump in here with a different perspective. First, I am not trying to start a fight, nor be disrespectful, but I am disagreeing with your statement above.

Simply put, to put a few issues one has had with a few guns from a company that enjoys a good reputation of quality, a long history, and a production output in the millions, as evidence of "...a great company has floundered." is statistically invalid and extremely premature. I can cite just the opposite history with Ruger firearms, as can many others.

At this point, neither I nor Ruger knows the ultimate cause of the issues you experienced. Perhaps they were the result of quality control issues with Ruger manufacturing. Perhaps not. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'd offer that when producing millions of units of any thing, including railroad spikes, there will be a few quality issues. One major facet of Ruger's reputation is their absolute willingness to take care of customers' legitimate issues with their firearms.

Your opinions are your own, of course, but mine are different and I wanted to offer another voice.

Best regards,

R

rayzer007

RugerRon60 said:
Oh and love the Remora with full sweat shield.

I completely agree Ron, the Remora full sweatshield model makes any gun quite comfortable, from Elsie up to and including my .45! Best $35 holster on the market (IMHO).

Ray

A

AquaHull

mayonardo said:
AquaHull said:

I have to jump in here with a different perspective. First, I am not trying to start a fight, nor be disrespectful, but I am disagreeing with your statement above.

Simply put, to put a few issues one has had with a few guns from a company that enjoys a good reputation of quality, a long history, and a production output in the millions, as evidence of "...a great company has floundered." is statistically invalid and extremely premature. I can cite just the opposite history with Ruger firearms, as can many others.

At this point, neither I nor Ruger knows the ultimate cause of the issues you experienced. Perhaps they were the result of quality control issues with Ruger manufacturing. Perhaps not. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'd offer that when producing millions of units of any thing, including railroad spikes, there will be a few quality issues. One major facet of Ruger's reputation is their absolute willingness to take care of customers' legitimate issues with their firearms.

Your opinions are your own, of course, but mine are different and I wanted to offer another voice.

Best regards,

Taurus has also shown a willingness to correct legitimate issues with their firearms, I'm 0 for 4 on them.

Only recent manufacture Rugers have shown issues in my case. I stand by my assessment.

A few members here have had to return Rugers multiple times, that's a few too many IMHO.

Quality Control is a Ruger Department, so therefore is representative of said company.

I stated that my last 2 Rugers had to go back, if the 3rd one has issues that need repair by the factory, only a FOOL or Fanboy would continue with the company .

I'm neither

Let the Wise Man add them up.

A

AquaHull

I think I'll take some time off from here as well, since many are transplants from the old LCP forum and have the thought process.

Logging out, removing all cookies, and bookmarks.

Peace and good luck.

R

rayzer007

I think I'll take some time off from here as well, since many are transplants from the old LCP forum and have the thought process.
Logging out, removing all cookies, and bookmarks.

Well gents, ........................... I think we've been "dissed", as the teenagers say!

Ray

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
That was not my first time to be dissed. Aquahull has seemed a little agitated lately. Maybe he will be back after a little cool down.

R

rayzer007

bigdogdaddy said:
That was not my first time to be dissed. Aquahull has seemed a little agitated lately. Maybe he will be back after a little cool down.

I certainly hope so. Life is getting many people agitated; this place is an oasis for me, I'm sorry he got worked up here, of all places. We'll leave the door open!
Ray