Howard Law

3clicks_Off

Practicing Freedom
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 1, 2016
Cartersville
Zip code
I have bookmarked this and all other posts on this topic. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!
Ford valve train sux. Piss poor hydrolic lifters, weak rocker arms
I'd bet you have a lifter or a few gunked up or rusted if it sat a while.
You can check them if you know how to watch the rotor button in your distributor, hand turn engine to get to firing position on 1 cylinder, see if the push rod is snug on intake and exhaust. If it's sloppy, that lifter is probably stuck, hand turn to #2 cylinder firing position, check pushrods, keep going until you get all checked.
You have to pull the valve covers to get to the pushrods and you have to have the cylinder your checking in firing position (both valves closed).

A quart of MMO, seafoam, Lucas, diesel fuel or mineral spirits in your oil, run for 10-15 min, change oil and filter.
MMO and seafoam probably my favorite store brand for valves but all the other have worked before.

You could also have worn and weak valve springs causing the detonation

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Superman summer git up?

I love the Superman color scheme on a car. I was gonna get the blue/red interior BMW but I (smartly) decided to bail on the German imports. I wanted the blue/red Corvette Grand Sport but Chevy bailed on me one year too early for me to make it happen.

7daf139d339aa237a5c07624d0a61d34.png image.jpg