Adams Arms

Howard Law

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I was at Ga Firing line yesterday looking around. They had an Adams Arms AR I really liked. I had never thought much about piston guns but the guy at the store pointed out that the lack of gas blowing out of the chamber might be a benefit to me ( I shoot rifles and shot guns left handed). All the reviews I can find online seem good. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them?

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I was at Ga Firing line yesterday looking around. They had an Adams Arms AR I really liked. I had never thought much about piston guns but the guy at the store pointed out that the lack of gas blowing out of the chamber might be a benefit to me ( I shoot rifles and shot guns left handed). All the reviews I can find online seem good. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them?
How was the weight? The one I handled was HEAVY.

Optimus Prime

Hunter
Nov 19, 2015
ATL
you're welcomed to shoot my AA, you just need to bring (factory) ammo and meet me at a range local to me (Gwinnett area).

Attachments

• 20150821_184155.jpg
    20150821_184155.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 16

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia

I've met the founders / owners of Adams and did an interview with this along with The Hoss USMC at NRA Show last year. Great guys and SUPER smart about ballistics. They invented the 50 Beauwolf round.

Reactions: madHatter

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I've met the founders / owners of Adams and did an interview with this along with The Hoss USMC at NRA Show last year. Great guys and SUPER smart about ballistics. They invented the 50 Beauwolf round.

I've been hearing they have great Customer service. I think I'll probably get one of their rifles in a few weeks. I've been reading a lot of reviews and have yet to find anything rally bad about them.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
Adams arms or Alexander arms?

they're different, right?

Reactions: dougiemac

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I had an AA upper previously. actually I've had two of them now that I think about it...a 7.5 pistol and a 14.5 middy. both were fine...a bit heavier than a DI gun in the same configuration. also the piston setup limits aftermarket selection for hand guards and the such.

the recoil impulse is different. it feels softer because it seems to last longer. it's more of a push than the DIs snap.

I didn't own any cans while I owned the uppers so I can't comment there.

a couple of things I didn't like: heat and cleanliness. there are claims that the piston keeps the rifle cooler but I think this applies only to the bcg and upper. I really don't care how hot those get I don't want to reach in there unless I have to. also while it was cleaner the inside of the upper still gets dirty and needs cleaning. also the piston spouts excess gas of into/onto the inside of your hand guard. mine would almost melt the magpul that came with it.

I would rather have the heat inside of the gun rather than on my support hand.

my two units ran well but I went back to DI pretty quickly.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Adams arms or Alexander arms?

they're different, right?

Yes, I was looking at a Alexander arms 5.45x39 upper a few years ago. Looked very nice and had great reviews on line, it was just a little too rich for my blood.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I dont see any advantage of a piston upper over the DI upper. I have seen the BGC in a piston gun kind of rock from side to side in the upper, causing unusual wear in the upper ( I'm sure this is normal for a piston gun, it just looked odd.)

Also, what was the difference in price between the DI and piston gun?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I dont see any advantage of a piston upper over the DI upper. I have seen the BGC in a piston gun kind of rock from side to side in the upper, causing unusual wear in the upper ( I'm sure this is normal for a piston gun, it just looked odd.)

Also, what was the difference in price between the DI and piston gun?

This one was on sale for 850. The only reason I'm leaning toward the piston gun is that I shoot lefty and like the idea of the gases not blowing in my face.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I have the Adams Arms upper in 5.45x39. I bought it because at the time surplus ammo was like 13 cents/round but corrosive. I thought it would be smart to use a piston gun for corrosive ammo.

No issues, it shoots just fine. I have a bump-fire stock on it now and it'll stink up the range in no time.

If I'm not mistaken you can turn the gas off at the gas block.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I have the Adams Arms upper in 5.45x39. I bought it because at the time surplus ammo was like 13 cents/round but corrosive. I thought it would be smart to use a piston gun for corrosive ammo.

No issues, it shoots just fine. I have a bump-fire stock on it now and it'll stink up the range in no time.

If I'm not mistaken you can turn the gas off at the gas block.
I know it has a setting for running suppressed, I don't know if it can be turned all the way off. I'll have to find someone with a can to try out on it sometime after I get it

Laces_Out_Marino

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Aug 14, 2015
CANTON, GA
Zip code
I have an AA and it is heavy, Thats why I have been building my own lowers and gonaa slap some lighter uppers on them to see how they do.As far as supressed, its pretty clean, with a piston gun you can also adjust how much gas is vented, Im still playing around with that function so I cant explain it all that well. I plan on keeping the gun but building other lighter ones too

Reactions: Strider12