Which AR 9mm Magwell Block and Why.

Faktory 47

dtb12ga

Hunter
Aug 20, 2015
Cedartown
Which mag block for ar 9mm? Hahn bottom load or top load and why.
I have heard the ar15 bolt catch is prone to breaking when used with 9mm.
Anyone have experience with this?

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Unless you already have a SBR lower, I would order one of the Glock mag lowers that @DoglegArms is selling for 155 out the door.

If you are set on a mag block, Amm Arms is the block to have now. It is just like the bottom load Hahn at half of the price but good luck finding it in stock.

I used a Hahn bottom load block because it is the easiest to install and remove and mine is installed in a registered SBR lower I use for other calibers as well.

Broken bolt catches are common, but can be prevented by using the correct weight buffer, buffer spring, etc in order to slow the cycle rate if the 9mm. Putting a spacer behind your recoil spring to reduce bolt travel helps as well, although 2.25 in quarters fills the same purpose and works just as well. I have 2.25 in the back of my 9mm AR.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I went with a hahn top loading dedicated block because I have another sbr for different calibers.

I use a 9mm specific buffer which negates the need for two fiddy in quarters in the buffer tube.

my set-up is 100% reliable.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I went with a hahn top loading dedicated block because I have another sbr for different calibers.

I use a 9mm specific buffer which negates the need for two fiddy in quarters in the buffer tube.

my set-up is 100% reliable.
also, forgot to mention but I've yet to break a bolt catch through about 1000 rounds. mine is a 7.5" adco barrel that I almost always shoot with a tirant9. 147gr stays subsonic.

Last edited: