What's the best bang for the buck rifle in 308?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

DMR

CZ Fan
Jun 4, 2015
Snellville
Zip code
Looking for a bolt action.
Reliable.
Accurate.
Upgradable platform.
Not a Remington.

Savage?

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
Aren't Remington several hundred dollars more, yet offer no real advantage?

All the 700's I see people selling are in the $700-1000 range.

Yes but it's a proven system that will last you forever. There are also tons of aftermarket parts that allows you to tune your rifle the way you would like it. If you see them at $700 - $1000 range then you are getting ripped off. I can get a 700 SPS Tactical for $550 all day. Also, is this a hunting or a precision rifle? If it is a hunting rifle go with Savage, if it is a precision rifle, go with the Remington because you can upgrade it as you go.

Reactions: DMR and Cudruln

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
In for info. Was getting ready to post the same.

On that note I have been looking at the savage hog hunter. They seem to be pretty solid at a decent price. Plus it is threaded, so it is ready for he suppressor.

Reactions: PewPewPewCo and DMR

DMR

CZ Fan
Jun 4, 2015
Snellville
Zip code
Yes but it's a proven system that will last you forever. There are also tons of aftermarket parts that allows you to tune your rifle the way you would like it. If you see them at $700 - $1000 range then you are getting ripped off. I can get a 700 SPS Tactical for $550 all day. Also, is this a hunting or a precision rifle? If it is a hunting rifle go with Savage, if it is a precision rifle, go with the Remington because you can upgrade it as you go.
Precision. But why wouldn't a precision rifle be an excellent choice for hunting? I mean, my intention is not to slab a 10lbs chassis, with a 26" barrrel and haul it around. But needs to be versatile.

Remember, I said best bang for the buck. So, I'm not talking Swarowski scopes, and $3000 setups.

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
Precision. But why wouldn't a precision rifle be an excellent choice for hunting? I mean, my intention is not to slab a 10lbs chassis, with a 26" barrrel and haul it around. But needs to be versatile.

Remember, I said best bang for the buck. So, I'm not talking Swarowski scopes, and $3000 setups.

No but if you are going to spend hundreds of dollars on a platform, it better be a platform you can build on. That way you save money in the end... What if you want to start shooting sub MOAs at long distances once you get to know the rifle? You don't want to have to buy a new rifle... then have to learn a new platform... Instead, just upgrade the platform you have and are familiar with. With Savage, you are way more limited than with the Remington.

I've made the mistake plenty of times of buying long guns that are not modular. Yes, if you are using it for a single purpose and it doesn't need to be upgraded, like a hunting rifle, then that's fine. However, if you are wanting a precision rifle, it needs to be able to grow with you. Get a base model now for $550 - $600 plus some decent glass. DO NOT BE CHEAP WITH THE GLASS! Even at first, you should go with a decent brand. Even a low-end Leopold is better than high end china crap.

Reactions: DMR

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Specifics please.
Check out the T3 line. They have a wide variation of options depending on your specific needs. I have the Hunter in .308 and I love it. Upgradability wasn't a concern of mine. They do have plenty of options for that.

Reactions: DMR