We're getting more background checks than we think

Faktory 47

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Made a purchase at the LGS today and found out something new, at least to me.

According to the owner, the ATF has mandated(or strongly suggested) they do background checks on people with weapon licenses unless they reside in the same county as the shop.

This is new to me and was put in place a couple of ATF drop ins ago at the store.

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
When I was visiting my son last month at brAgg had to sit for 30 min in visitor center to get a background check. Kicker of it is if he would had been with me just would had went through gate and show my id. I knew I would pass. Pablo sitting beside me couldn't speak English. But he got his pass before me.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Made a purchase at the LGS today and found out something new, at least to me.

According to the owner, the ATF has mandated(or strongly suggested) they do background checks on people with weapon licenses unless they reside in the same county as the shop.

This is new to me and was put in place a couple of ATF drop ins ago at the store.
A shop in Conyers did that to me a few years ago. That was the only time it happened.

CG&P has never done it to me and Truprep didn't do it to me last Friday.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
A shop in Conyers did that to me a few years ago. That was the only time it happened.

What shop? I've made quite a few purchases at this one and this is my first BG check there, as far as I know.

There's a hardware store in Jackson that does them on everybody, but that's the old Fudd's policy that runs the place.

I'm curious if this is the only place that does this or been told this buy the ATF. The owner seems like a straight guy, I've even done some private deals with him. He never struck me as a bullshitter.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
What shop? I've made quite a few purchases at this one and this is my first BG check there, as far as I know.

There's a hardware store in Jackson that does them on everybody, but that's the old Fudd's policy that runs the place.

I'm curious if this is the only place that does this or been told this buy the ATF. The owner seems like a straight guy, I've even done some private deals with him. He never struck me as a bullshitter.
Elite Pawn

TruPrep

Hunter
Apr 27, 2016
Marietta GA, 30062
truprep.com
Zip code

We would never do a background check on a person with a legal and state issued weapons license. If you have a weapons license..the state has already done a check and that is their responsibility to check up and revoke cards from people that cannot have one. Not the shops.
[DOUBLEPOST=1462977377][/DOUBLEPOST]Ask him to forward the policy to our info@truprep.com and we will look into it.

Reactions: Strider12

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
We would never do a background check on a person with a legal and state issued weapons license. If you have a weapons license..the state has already done a check and that is their responsibility to check up and revoke cards from people that cannot have one. Not the shops.
[DOUBLEPOST=1462977377][/DOUBLEPOST]Ask him to forward the policy to our info@truprep.com and we will look into it.

I'm starting to think this is just a CYA policy.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Good news is, we sell guns. :)

Bad news is there's not much to choose from where I live. This is the only shop with decent(good, but not internet good) prices anywhere around. And they're the only option for reloading supplies, again decent prices.

I'm all for saving a buck but try to support the local shops when stuff is priced within reason.

I'm probably not going to buy as much serialized stuff from them from this point forward.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Bad news is there's not much to choose from where I live. This is the only shop with decent(good, but not internet good) prices anywhere around. And they're the only option for reloading supplies, again decent prices.

I'm all for saving a buck but try to support the local shops when stuff is priced within reason.

I'm probably not going to buy as much serialized stuff from them from this point forward.

I will pay a few bucks more to support local small businesses. I go to Morgan's Ace Hardware over Home Depot everytime. I pay 2%-5% more sometimes but the service, the people and the general feeling of satisfaction I receive from supporting small local business is worth it. I will only go to Home Depot if I need something asap and Morgan's Ace Hardware doesn't have it, or the rare occasion their price is significantly higher.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I see no reason for the policy. A photocopy of the DL and GWL is plenty to forgo the nics check
It's sad, but I've run across a number of FFL's that aren't too big on Second Amendment rights, and are just in it as a business.

Reactions: TruPrep

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
What's your price on the S&W victory with the threaded barrel?
You might as well order the non-threaded barrel and have it cut down and re-threaded if you plan on suppressing it. It's easier to find and 25-40 bucks cheaper.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
You might as well order the non-threaded barrel and have it cut down and re-threaded if you plan on suppressing it. It's easier to find and 25-40 bucks cheaper.

I'm stacked pretty deep with SV and subs. My main bulk pack is fed Automatch which is a few fps slower than the standard 36gr stuff that I stopped buying years ago. I would bet it would be fine too.

How much did the cut and threading run?

Reactions: Laufen