Warning Shots: Ever justifiable?

GA Firing Line

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Correct. If you felt a warning shot was needed, then you didn't feel like you were in jeopardy for immediate great bodily harm and or death.
Well judge, I thought the man was there to kill me, so i fired my gun to scare him off. I would have shot him had that not worked.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Well judge, I thought the man was there to kill me, so i fired my gun to scare him off. I would have shot him had that not worked.
I'll bet you'd avoid prosecution, but it's still a terrible idea.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
nah, that's why I'm asking. granted the facts aren't quite the same
You'd hand the advantage back to the attacker if you fire off a round in your house by intentionally missing the threat. The result: Temporarily blinding and disorienting you, and giving them time to assault you.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
You'd hand the advantage back to the attacker if you fire off a round in your house by intentionally missing the threat. The result: Temporarily blinding and disorienting you, and giving them time to assault you.
In your home is a bad example for this discussion. If he's in my home, with my kids, there are no warning shots. Even if I wanted to fire a warning shot, I have two kids bedrooms above me, my wife in the bedroom behind me, the baby's room to my left, that pretty much leaves the garage. I'm not turning my attention from an intruder to make sure that the warning shots land safely into my lawn mower. As much as that may please @Laufen.

Reactions: AtlMedic and Laufen

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
In your home is a bad example for this discussion. If he's in my home, with my kids, there are no warning shots. Even if I wanted to fire a warning shot, I have two kids bedrooms above me, my wife in the bedroom behind me, the baby's room to my left, that pretty much leaves the garage. I'm not turning my attention from an intruder to make sure that the warning shots land safely into my lawn mower. As much as that may please @Laufen.
okay lets just go with the rough facts I'm working with here.

Neighbor 1 and 2 get into a heated discussion/argument.

Neighbor 1 and 2 continue argument in Neighbor 1's home

Neighbor 1 eventually asks neighbor 2 to leave and he admittedly does not, but the argument moves outside just beyond the door

Neighbor 1 states that neighbor 2 then attempts to attack him, so neighbor 1 fires into the air

Neighbor 2 then goes home and waits for police

Neighbor 1 is likely going to claim self defense. the issue comes down to this, even if we accept that neighbor 2 attacked neighbor 1, should the affirmative defense of self defense be available or does the fact that it was a warning shot effectively nullify a claim to self defense? Should we disallow the use of warning shots in cases were lethal force would have been justified?

I talked it over with some friends and some thought people shouldnt be punished for attempting to preserve life(these were generally non gun owners) and others said it promoted careless firearm use and would lead to incidents escalating faster than if we disallowed warning shots (generally firearm owners held this opinion).

I think warning shots don't slow down escalation, but invite escalation before it may be necessary.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
okay lets just go with the rough facts I'm working with here.

Neighbor 1 and 2 get into a heated discussion/argument.

Neighbor 1 and 2 continue argument in Neighbor 1's home

Neighbor 1 eventually asks neighbor 2 to leave and he admittedly does not, but the argument moves outside just beyond the door

Neighbor 1 states that neighbor 2 then attempts to attack him, so neighbor 1 fires into the air

Neighbor 2 then goes home and waits for police

Neighbor 1 is likely going to claim self defense. the issue comes down to this, even if we accept that neighbor 2 attacked neighbor 1, should the affirmative defense of self defense be available or does the fact that it was a warning shot effectively nullify a claim to self defense? Should we disallow the use of warning shots in cases were lethal force would have been justified?

I talked it over with some friends and some thought people shouldnt be punished for attempting to preserve life(these were generally non gun owners) and others said it promoted careless firearm use and would lead to incidents escalating faster than if we disallowed warning shots (generally firearm owners held this opinion).

I think warning shots don't slow down escalation, but invite escalation before it may be necessary.
I'd say it is absolutely inviting escalation. You fight an attacker he is generally going to fight back. You start shooting and I'd say the chance of him shooting back is greatly increased. Unless of course he's unarmed, in which case, why the hell did you need to start shooting?

RdKill

Scout
Aug 12, 2015
Blue Ridge, GA
Where I live the more likely self defense scenario is with wild life. So...if I have laryngitis and can't yell, any nearby bear will get the benefit of a warning shot.

Green Panther

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, Georgia
Since you posted an update in one of your last posts, i will comment based on that.

Even if his affirmative defense of self defense was gone, would he face any possible charges based on firing in that situation........and what other charges would the neighbor who was the aggressor still face in this situation?

Green Panther

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, Georgia
Outside of those details. I can see a warning shot 100% justifiable in certain circumstances.

I grew up in a very rural area of Michigan and while you were out in the woods, you knew your boundaries. For someone to see a trespasser on their land and fire a "warning shot" to get their attention followed by a who the hell are you or you are trespassing, was quite common back in the sticks.

It was uncommon to walk around unarmed, and to see someone on your land in the distance, a warning shot to get their attention is quite justified IMO. Perhaps that is just because I grew up around it.

H

Hoss

Theres a time and place for everything and for everything a time and a place. For centuries, navies around the world have fired across the bow of another ship as a way of letting them know they were locked, loaded and prepared to use deadly force.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMR

CZ Fan
Jun 4, 2015
Snellville
Zip code
Is a warning shot ever justified? I think it shows a lack of true fear for life and safety, others think it's simply an option for those in fear of their life who would prefer to not take another life.

Disclaimer: Don't do them. You are not the police. Unless you are in fear of dying then don't pull your gun. If you get in an argument with your neighbor and ask him to get off your property and he wont, then call the cops, don't pull your gun.
Well said.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I intend to give someone two warning shots center mass if I ever have to pull my gun. If they still keep coming after those two warning shots, I will give them two more center mass.
Two to the center mass followed by one to the melon ensures they will never keep coming!

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
If/when the time arises there will be no warning shot fired. The only rounds fired will be at center mass

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Closest thing I will ever give to a warning shot is if I miss due to adrenaline and crapping my pants.

Now, If it is multiple people like in a riot type situation it may be a different story, but that is a discussion for a different thread.