The MOST important SHTF resource, and it's not even debateable.

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Water.

How much do you have in your home right now? (obviously not counting the easily contaminated tap water).

I usually have between 15 and 25 gallons. I use 5 gallon jugs for our water cooler, and try to stay at 15 minimum. I may get a few more for the pantry though.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Good thoughts....water purification tablets/items to make filters should be just as plentiful as well, imo
Yeah, I have a filter and tablets, but if you have to venture out to find something to filter that can present risks too. It's certainly necessary, but the primo situation would be to kick back and drink bottled water.

Reactions: BackWoods

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I have 20,000 gallons that is filtered and treated 24 hours a day 8 months out of the year.

Reactions: Laufen
Aug 12, 2015
PA
Water.

How much do you have in your home right now? (obviously not counting the easily contaminated tap water).

I usually have between 15 and 25 gallons. I use 5 gallon jugs for our water cooler, and try to stay at 15 minimum. I may get a few more for the pantry though.
hey! whaddya know? Laufen and I agree on something right off the bat :)

Here's a recommendation.... if you have any large food manufacturing places nearby (or you can sometimes find in salvage/recycling places) look for FOOD GRADE 55 gallon barrels if you have the space. You gotta figure for cooking, washing, drinking, you're gonna go through a gallon per day per person minimum. Anything less and you're going to be dehydrated, especially if it's a shtf scenario where you are doing a lot of manual working or if the power is out and the temps are soaring. I think it's a very good idea to get something like a Lifestraw Family Size or something (link here) http://www.buylifestraw.com/en/products/lifestraw-family-1-0 so you can filter water once you go through your stock and have to get some in nearby water sources.

Always a good idea to get a rain barrel attach to your downspout and harvest rainwater off the roof. It definitely needs filtered though...even more so if you have a shingled roof due to the chemicals the shingles are treated with.

You can survive for long periods without food but water......you have about 3 days before you are non-functional.

Reactions: Laufen

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Water.

Don't forget your water heater, that probably got 50 gallons.

Reactions: myke124 and Laufen

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Don't forget the chlorine to treat it.

Reactions: Guardian Defense

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Plenty of bottled water on hand as well as purification tablets and other methods.

Righter13

Student of life
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville SC
Zip code
I keep a couple cases in the basement next to MREs and ammo.

Fortunately I have a creek that runs down off the mountain only about a quarter mile away if that far.

madHatter

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Fuckville
definitely a good thing, but if the water issue is widespread, then you have to figure out a way to be sure it's protected.
Solution. Buy gasoline containers, put water in them ... Take water and put in gasoline or non potable water. Or soemthing. Yeah I am gonna be that guy.