Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I managed to end up with a couple of loaded Springers. A US produced NM model and a Imbel Brazil built gun. Digging around on the 1911 forums it appears SAI severed all ties with Imbel in 2014. Apparently Imbel was overloaded with government work and couldn't keep up with demand.

Springfield now states that their 1911 line is all US made guns. Speculation is that they are bringing in raw forgings from Korea and finishing them here although for obvious reasons Springfield isn't disclosing where they are getting them. It is also possible that S&W, Colt or Kimber is providing the forgings for them although I kinda doubt it. I guess it is possible.

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand it is cool that Springfields all say made in the USA now, and I am all about a US made 1911. On the other hand, we knew Imbel was producing some great guns and it saddens me that we are no longer getting their products (although I speculate that imbel is actually making the PT1911 frames and slides. It also concerns me since we no longer know where the 1911s are coming from. At least when they were coming from Imbel we knew it was a quality product.

Anyway, what say you?

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I managed to end up with a couple of loaded Springers. A US produced NM model and a Imbel Brazil built gun. Digging around on the 1911 forums it appears SAI severed all ties with Imbel in 2014. Apparently Imbel was overloaded with government work and couldn't keep up with demand.

Springfield now states that their 1911 line is all US made guns. Speculation is that they are bringing in raw forgings from Korea and finishing them here although for obvious reasons Springfield isn't disclosing where they are getting them. It is also possible that S&W, Colt or Kimber is providing the forgings for them although I kinda doubt it. I guess it is possible.

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand it is cool that Springfields all say made in the USA now, and I am all about a US made 1911. On the other hand, we knew Imbel was producing some great guns and it saddens me that we are no longer getting their products (although I speculate that imbel is actually making the PT1911 frames and slides. It also concerns me since we no longer know where the 1911s are coming from. At least when they were coming from Imbel we knew it was a quality product.

Anyway, what say you?
Go to Brownells, buy a bucket of parts, and build out a quality Georgia built 1911.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
No thanks. I am however thinking about ordering a new Baer.
I can see why. Once you handle and shoot a Baer, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, etc...there's no going back to stock rattle traps. Greasy glass on greasy glass.

Which model will you be getting?

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I can see why. Once you handle and shoot a Baer, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, etc...there's no going back to stock rattle traps. Greasy glass on greasy glass.

Which model will you be getting?

I found a smoking deal on a UTC but I waited too long to pull the trigger. Now I am going back and forth on three of four models and of course also debating if I really NEED another 1911.....especially considering I don't shoot the pile of them I have already.

Reactions: Jake and Laufen

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
No thanks. I am however thinking about ordering a new Baer.

It sucks being broke. If I had the cash I would have jumped all over that Baer that you sent me the link for. Baer's just flat out run. They may not be the prettiest 1911's, and their bluing is kinda crappy, but they will run with the best of them.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I found a smoking deal on a UTC but I waited too long to pull the trigger. Now I am going back and forth on three of four models and of course also debating if I really NEED another 1911.....especially considering I don't shoot the pile of them I have already.
You're about my age right? So you have another 35-45 years tops. Might as well get it before you're too old to enjoy it, or too dead to buy it.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code

If I were to buy a new Baer right now I'd buy a Black Baer.

SmartSelectImage_2017-01-12-09-00-25.png

I have a thing for 9mm Commander 1911's.

SmartSelectImage_2017-01-10-12-51-28.png

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
That's either a terrible pic, or they don't know how to grade a pistol, but that looks like it has a lot more than 80-90% of it's original finish remaining.

Buds sells so many guns it has been my experience that they will grade their guns below what they actually are to ensure some jackass doesn't bitch about the 98% gun they thought they were buying is only 92%. That said, a semi custom 1911 without its box and docs I would imagine would automatically be a 90% gun if not lower.

Reactions: Laufen