S&W introduces Shield 380

Howard Law

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Anybody here care to stand down range of a .380?

I recently tried a murder case where they guy used a .22 pistol. I wouldn't want to stand down range of one of those, but wouldn't carry one for defense if I had other options.

scand

I like parsley
Dec 15, 2015
Moreland/Newnan
Zip code
I think they will sell well for the female first-time buyer market, and those with physical limitations. I would assume that is a majority of who S&W had in mind when they designed this.

After letting them [first-time female buyers] try out our various rentals- I would say 6 out of 10 opt for the Bersa 380 due to manual safety, easy to rack the slide, pleasant shootability due to size, and still small enough for them to put in their purse. This gives them another option in that size with the safety they want. It definitely has a market. The remaining go for the P238 if their budget allows, and a few opt for the 42, 43, or Shield 9. I've yet to hear a female come off the range floor and say "I loved the Bodyguard!".

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I recently tried a murder case where they guy used a .22 pistol. I wouldn't want to stand down range of one of those, but wouldn't carry one for defense if I had other options.
You would if it were the best option for you.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
You would if it were the best option for you.

Hence my saying I wouldn't carry one for defense IF I HAD OTHER OPTIONS. Are you seriously just responding for the sake of arguing at this point?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Hence my saying I wouldn't carry one for defense IF I HAD OTHER OPTIONS. Are you seriously just responding for the sake of arguing at this point?
Everyone has other options, but they may not be superior. Adding "hence" to your argument doesn't add validity.

noob

;)

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Everyone has other options, but they may not be superior. Adding "hence" to your argument doesn't add validity.

noob

;)

It was implied that those other options would be superior options if I am saying I would choose them first.

noob

:wink:

scand

I like parsley
Dec 15, 2015
Moreland/Newnan
Zip code
Why did they put a grip safety on it?
Extra safety measure for the worrisome/nervous new shooter. With that many safeties...Sharon Goldstein will stay strapped in the Honda Odyssey, the Roswell soccer meets, etc. She's ready if a motherfucker tries her at Publix!

Reactions: Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
They are offering one without the thumb safety as well.
I'm honestly considering picking one up for my wife.
Thumb safeties don’t bother me as much as grip safeties usually. They're the main reason I hate an XD.

scand

I like parsley
Dec 15, 2015
Moreland/Newnan
Zip code
Thumb safeties don’t bother me as much as grip safeties usually. They're the main reason I hate an XD.
Really? They've never bothered me and I'm picky as hell on guns. I hate XD's just because they're ugly all around lol. Bore axis looks like a Hi-Point with a Bachelor's degree.

Reactions: Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Really? They've never bothered me and I'm picky as hell on guns. I hate XD's just because they're ugly all around lol. Bore axis looks like a Hi-Point with a Bachelor's degree.
Yeah man, when they first came out I tried like hell to like them. I just never could. The way I hold a pistol when clearing it doesn't always engage the grip safety.

Reactions: scand

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
I'm usually all about carry guns not having external safeties. I hate the grip safety on the XD line because it is so small.

I kind of like the idea of no thumb safety but having a grip safety. I also think I like that it pivots from the bottom of the frame and not the top. Without having handled one it seems like you would be less likely to not engage the grip safety if you get a less than ideal grip. I kind of want to play with one of these.

It is ugly as shit though.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Yeah man, when they first came out I tried like hell to like them. I just never could. The way I hold a pistol when clearing it doesn't always engage the grip safety.

Why do you need/want the grip safety engaged when clearing a pistol?