Reloading the 7mm-08, an outstanding short action cartridge

American Revival Apparel Company

Would you like more handloading info/ discussion?

• Please More!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • STFU

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
0709152136.jpg
One of the best little rounds out there is shunned by many shooters due to the high cost of loaded ammunition. Those of us inclined to roll our own know that this little powerhouse can be shot for the price of .308; after all it is just a modified .308 case necked down and loaded with a .284 diameter bullet. Why not just shoot a .308 you ask? For the same bullet weight the 7mm or .284 diameter bullet is more sleek and aerodynamic than a .30 cal. Given a similar bullet design, the projectile meets less resistance in the air, thus flying straighter and delivering more energy onto target, as well as doing a better job bucking the wind. The round when loaded with a light bullet does not give recoil sensitive children and women an unpleasant jolt. The recoil falls somewhere between a .243 and .308. Am I advocating this round for shtf survival over the .223 and .308...no. For shooting steel and paper at ranges over 100m, as well as being a great hunting round within 400 meters..absolutely! This round is like a modern version of the 7x57 Mauser that has taken large game worldwide, but it is a better performer due to the higher pressures safely handled by modern firearms. Next time you see one on the rack at a nice price consider making it your new friend. You use the same primers and powder as the .308, just the bullet changes. Here is a great target load in my rifle, of course all your load data should come from published data, not some old boy on the interwebs. Not bad for a stock rifle at 150 yards. I will always pay shipping for your unwanted brass in this caliber.

Sheps

Woodsman
Jun 24, 2015
www.youtube.com
Zip code
en5 1ae
Pretty surprised by the lack of interest in the 7mm-08. Always thought it was pretty awesome. Best of both worlds if you will.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
my father has been a deer hunter for the better part of his 70 years. he's a bolt action guy and has been through 30-06, 25-06, 308, 243. about 20 years ago he picked up a 7mm-08 and hasn't used anything else since. to me, that's a great endorsement. he talks about the range and accuracy of the round compared to the others he's had. I personally think the 270 is up there too, but I guess that gets into the whole question of long action vs. short action.

he told me once - 7mm08 for deer, 22-250 for varmints, and 20 gauge for wing shooting...that's all you need.

Reactions: madHatter