Reloading forums

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
In regards to reloading information and data, it seems that some reloading forums are not nearly as vigilant or strict on the information posted. I am not passing judgement, just making an observation. It seems that one of the forums on reloading tends to be relaxed on the posting of the contents of your own load, but a little stricter when it comes to posting the actual amounts of the contents. So it looks like a lot of here is my bullet, powder, case, and primer without the details on the load itself. Just an observation. Thoughts?

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
bigdogdaddy said:
In regards to reloading information and data, it seems that some reloading forums are not nearly as vigilant or strict on the information posted. I am not passing judgement, just making an observation. It seems that one of the forums on reloading tends to be relaxed on the posting of the contents of your own load, but a little stricter when it comes to posting the actual amounts of the contents. So it looks like a lot of here is my bullet, powder, case, and primer without the details on the load itself. Just an observation. Thoughts?

I think I followed what you said, but maybe not.

You think reloading posting here is more strict than reloading post in other forums? If that is what you are trying to say then I think my answer would be yes, you are correct. And I guess when you mean other forums, you are talking about that other place that you call home. I only say that as I thought I remembered a post from you, over there, at one time that said that was the only forum you had ever joined. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

I know you were around at that other place (home) when many/most of the moderators resigned as moderators. If I recall correctly, this was one of the concerns several of them had. That is, the new owners were not as strict on post regarding safety concerns the mods had over there.

Since the mods that left there, came here and are now the mods here, are you really that surprised on the strictness of rules regarding reloading?

Also, you mentioned vigilant and strict. I think those are very good traits when reloading is involved. Kudos to all the moderators here that are vigilant and strict. I'm a reloader too and don't mind when someone wants as much safety as possible.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
As of last year the only forum I had ever even visited was "the other one", which I then joined after I bought SR1911 lottery tickets and then realized I had to join and post to win! Anyway, now I have also joined this one. As for my OP, my comment was not about the Ruger Pistol Forum, but a couple of actual reloading forums that I have lurked on as I am learning all that I can about reloading. I have looked there because my reloading mentor is not exactly open minded when I ask questions about powders or bullets other than what he uses. When I visited a couple of reloading forums I was actually surprised to see that they were a good bit more relaxed on what they allowed to be posted. I expected them to be super strict/vigilant. I agree that when it comes to reloading data, that is the actual recipe/formula, being vigilant or even strict is a good thing. For me, not that it matters, I like that they seem to be relaxed on the contents of reloads (example: I used this bullet, this powder, this primer). The strictness, for lack of a better term, came into play when you actually started posting the amount of powder, etc. Just an observation and topic for discussion. Hopefully that is a little more clear.

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
When I retire I want to start reloading. For me I like the "excessive" safety postings. IMHO a little safety might work but a lot of safety will work better! ::)

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Safety first for sure when it comes to reloading. There is a lot of information out there about people who were not safety minded. I think you will find it challenging and rewarding. It seems to me that reloading is one of those activities where you never stop learning. I like that part of it.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
RICHGCOOP said:
50 years for reloading I'm still learning.
I must say that I'm constantly learning and improving too. That applies, of course, to many things including my reloading skills, gunsmithing, woodworking, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, mechanics, computing, and a host of other things that I do.

R

rayzer007

RICHGCOOP said:
I just wish I could remember what I learn!!!

Don't feel bad Rich. I am reminded of the sarcastic line (from W.C. Fields, I think):
"He's forgotten more than he ever knew"! ???
Now that's a REAL problem!

Ray

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I go to all the forums I can find and copy and paste their recipes. You can get a good idea from this as to what works etc. This is the only forum I have seen that does require a red warning for each post on data. I would hope that anyone that starts to reload with have common sense to understand this, much like just picking up a gun and checking it for safety which does not require a warning. I think a "must read sticky" would be adequate, However, I play by house rules so it really does not matter.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Agreed. I can't imagine anyone reloading without some serious supervision when they start, but I am sure that some buy a press and the other goodies, visit a website, and have at it. While we are all in favor of 2nd amendment rights. Sadly, some people also reserve the right to be really stupid. OK, it is Sunday so I will change that to really careless.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
On the other side of the coin is the fact that even though someone is careful, a new beginner re loader may look at a load that is in fact hot and think that since the person that wrote the recipe is very experienced like say for instance Skip who have many years of reloading under his belt, than that load is safe for him to use as well. Especially a powder that does not allow much margin for error. I personally am new to reloading and yes I do look at all reloads on many forums and copy and paste them for future reference, however, I only use them after much research on reload books and the data they provide to see where that load stands on the charts. Skip posted a reload recipe for +P which I do not think a beginner re-loader should mess with (just my opinion). This would be where a disclaimer would be necessary to protect the forum owners. So in essence, the disclaimer posted on this forum is smart, and a wise decision by the forum owners. The old adage "better be safe than sorry" is especially true for reloading and firearm safety.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Dave, I went back to the post where I listed my +P load and added a couple of things to make it more obvious that it's not a beginner's load. Thanks for the prompting.

D

Denny4kids

I started reloading because shooting my Glock 20 10mm was so expensive. First I searched the forums and found a powder that would overflow the case if I double charged. I don't want to double charge by mistake! Then I ended up with 500 170 grain plated bullets and no printed load data in any of my books. Back to the forums and I found 3 different people with data for this bullet and their data all agreed with each other. I used this data and worked up some great loads. I also read warnings from 3 people about the dangers of loading high velocity rounds using plated bullets and that's really easy with 10mm. There are a couple more forum only tips I have learned. I have also learned some safety facts and lessons on the forums that are not in any books.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is gathering data from the forums can be a great way to learn. In most cases I will need to hear the same from 3 different people and so far this has been easy to do. In my short time of reloading I can not rely on books alone, just sayin. Den

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I feel really lucky to have a person that helped me get started. He has been reloading for over 20 years. The guy that showed him the ropes had reloaded for over 30 years. So I am getting the notes and experience of over 50 years handed to me for free.

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
I have been reloading for over 50 years. Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun ammo. The reloading data I use is a combination of reloading manuals, bullet manufacturer's data, books, websites and any other information from other reloaders. The most important lesson I have learned is that you cannot blindly accept any data. Too many variables in cases, bullets and firearms. I generally start at about 90% of published maximum load and slowly work up or down from there. The objective should never be to find out how close you can get to the max, but how accurate and consistent you can make the load for your firearm.