Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
100% correct! If you want a clone closest to a Motherland Original this is the way to go!

Of course you could find a SAR-1 or non MISR Maddi and de-ban it with a NOS gas block and front sight and a barrel thread and get there too.....but it will cost more for sure. Here is my SAR-1 de-banned clone, hot blued wearing some polish laminate and a Russian sling. 3 out of the 5 AKM producing nations, lol. Can't help it, I really like the Polish laminate wood and Russian slings.

View attachment 55944

View attachment 55945

recognize the bake!

Reactions: KhyberPass

jimipanic

Marksman
Kalash Klub
Jul 19, 2015
OTP
Zip code
Me too Jimi.....If I could have only one and any one I wanted......It would be a Type 2!

#fact
#gospel
As much as I love chicom stuff, it would be a russkie type 2 the unicorn to end all Unicorn hunts. It just screams “gun of the unwashed”

got excused from court today and since i already had the day off.... to the garage I go! More upgraded wasr wood in the works.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

noclevername

Marksman
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
usa
100% correct! If you want a clone closest to a Motherland Original this is the way to go!

Of course you could find a SAR-1 or non MISR Maddi and de-ban it with a NOS gas block and front sight and a barrel thread and get there too.....but it will cost more for sure. Here is my SAR-1 de-banned clone, hot blued wearing some polish laminate and a Russian sling. 3 out of the 5 AKM producing nations, lol. Can't help it, I really like the Polish laminate wood and Russian slings.

View attachment 55944

View attachment 55945
Polish wood for the win!!!

Axeman

If you can’t laugh at yourself you’re FUKT!!!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 5, 2016
Goat Rodeo Clown
Zip code
A little more info to further scramble your brain. In America every AK/AKM patterned rifle is called an "AK".....most are AKM stamped receiver types. When it comes to the OG AK the true AKs were produced in Russia from 1947 until 1959 and included the Type 1 (early stamped receiver version discontinued because of production/reliability problems) , Type 2 (the first and rarest of the milled recievers produced from 1951-54) and the Type 3 (most common of the milled variants).

Type 1 (Early Stamped Receiver)
View attachment 55939

Type 2 (note the stock metal ferrule and receiver lightning cut top is parallel to the top of the receiver)
View attachment 55940

Type 3 (note the lack of stock ferrule and bottom of the lightning cut is parallel to the bottom of the receiver)
View attachment 55941

1959 was the first year of the AKM.....M for "modernizírovanny " = Modernized. They were characterized by a return to the stamped receiver and major changes to the front end of the rifle (all made in order to reduce weight and speed/reduce cost of production). Here is a good front end pictorial to use to quickly discern the two.

View attachment 55936

The only nations to produce an exact AKM pattern rifle were Russia, Poland, Egypt, Romania, and E. Germany.
Hungary, Yugoslavia, Iraq, Albania, North Korea and China all built AKM type stamped receiver rifles but they have one or more AK parts still used. The Chinese AK's have AK type barrels/gas block-tube/front sight tower, The Hungarian AK's (after switching to more AKM type production after ditching the AMD) retained the AK gas block/tube...the Yugoslavian AK have several unique features all their own.

Then there is commercial production AK/AKMs, all the American made variants and the Type 100 series AKs (Saiga and Aresenal) and demilled milspec kit builds using the parts the builder deems most important to him. The possibilities are endless it seems.

That's some GREAT info there!

And since I used to collect aluminum-framed 9mm pistols, I can understand where you're going with the differences between different types of different models. For instance, the S&W 39 started out as a steel-frame, single action before it was given a model number, then as a 39 there are a couple versions before it became the 39-2, then the 3-digit models (439, 539, 639), not to mention the double-column 59 (459, 659) and later the compact double-column 669, then the four-digit models (3904, 3906 and variants)plus the 4-digit - aka 3rd gen - compacts in single column (3913, 3914) and double-column (6904, 6906 and variants) and full size DC (5904, 5906 and variants).

The plus side for Smith models is that as they changed, the model numbers grew into a reflection of the actual gun. (39=single column 9mm, 0=standard features, 6=stainless slide = 3906, while 59=DC, 2=frame-mounted decocker, 4=blued slide = 5924)

Apparently, nobody in the USSR had the forethought (or power) to do anything like that, so it's a confused mish-mash, especially when yuk-yuks get to altering guns imported here in kits.
But hey, it's all good. It just takes some application of the old Thinking bone.

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Actually, USSR was much more organized. When growing up we referred to the rifle as AKM, not AK47.
My dad called his AK74M, AKS74, AKS74U, etc. But the same name did not transfer to the west. By the end of 1980 AKM was mothballed in Soviet Army, all were recalled and stored. USSR switched to 5.45x39.
Other countries started making sorta copies of new AK74 designs, but in 7.62x39 and with different names. Then Poland, Germany, Romania and Bulgaria started making them in 5.56 NATO.
Russian 5.56 did not exist till series 100.
Someone in the West(?) decided to call AKS74U "Krinkov" and make it in 7.62x39. Soviets never fielded Krinkov, it was AKS74U.

Last edited:

Shortcut

Tracker
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
Georgia
#fact
#gospel
As much as I love chicom stuff, it would be a russkie type 2 the unicorn to end all Unicorn hunts. It just screams “gun of the unwashed”

got excused from court today and since i already had the day off.... to the garage I go! More upgraded wasr wood in the works.

View attachment 55946 View attachment 55947

That looks great!!!! Would look nice on my wasr just sayin.

KhyberPass

Vaginal wart inspector
Kalash Klub Mod
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 14, 2019
Space
Dude that is so fucking beast. I have a thing for camo patterns. I am all about that shit man.
When we meet I’ll bring it I wanna see how it fits. It’ll be different than those tailor fitted duds you sport around the state buildings but I bet it fits you nicely