Making your own heavy buffer

Faktory 47

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I'm swimming in carbine buffers. I would like to experiment with different heavy buffers, especially for one particular rifle. It mid length gas, and the port is in spec, but the perceived recoil is a little harsh for my taste.

I've tried looking for tungsten weights, but all I can find are ones for pinewood derby cars and I don't think they are the proper size.

Spikes T2 buffer is not constructed like a standard buffer. Instead of solid weights and spacers, it's filled with tungsten powder. They cost between $35-40.

I did find this http://www.amazon.com/Dynacraft-Tun...=1463851551&sr=8-18&keywords=Tungsten+weights

It's more than enough, weight wise, to make 2. Is there any reason I couldn't fill a buffer with enough powder to still leave a little shake to it, and try to make my own?

permaneo vox

Powered by Silencer Shop
Trusted Trader
Sep 21, 2015
Heart of Georgia
Zip code
Back when I was making TASK Slowfire parts for M11/9s(pre Lage Max-11) I found tungsten powder online, used for filling golf driver heads.
Leaving a little room to shake is a good anti-bounce technique, some HK MP5 bolt assemblies were tungsten filled for this reason.
Tungsten in solid form adds 1.87x weight/volume(alloy depending). In powder, it's a bit less dense, but still over 1.5x weight/volume. So if you take out weights weighing 2oz & replace with tungsten weights, you end up with an additional gain of 1.74 oz for a total 3.74oz of weights(not total buffer weight).

Because of the expense, you may want to try lead shot first, to see if you are getting the results you are looking for.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Back when I was making TASK Slowfire parts for M11/9s(pre Lage Max-11) I found tungsten powder online, used for filling golf driver heads.
Leaving a little room to shake is a good anti-bounce technique, some HK MP5 bolt assemblies were tungsten filled for this reason.
Tungsten in solid form adds 1.87x weight/volume(alloy depending). In powder, it's a bit less dense, but still over 1.5x weight/volume. So if you take out weights weighing 2oz & replace with tungsten weights, you end up with an additional gain of 1.74 oz for a total 3.74oz of weights(not total buffer weight).

Because of the expense, you may want to try lead shot first, to see if you are getting the results you are looking for.

So theoretically, you think it's possible to recreate the spikes buffer?

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
I don't see why not?

I don't see the black magic in it.

<------ Could be missing something.

If you want less recoil, double up on the hearing protection and add a brake to your rifle.

But me, I'd play around with the buffer just to be able to say I did.

Shoot, fill it with some kind of liquid and call it hydraulic!

Reactions: Strider12

permaneo vox