Mak 90?

Howard Law

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
Same concept as the extra hole in the side of a AR.

The ATF says "once a MG, always a MG. Even if it can't fire full auto.

There are ways they can be demilled -by taking a blow torch and cutting through some specific area-so when you see a demilled kit, it is not a MG, but in that case, the receiver is trash. Effectively, it is not a firearm anymore.

I was at a gun show one day, and some undercover turd tried to sell my Grandfather's friend an AR with the extra hole. Fortunately, he knew the difference and didn't bite.
they try this crap? i figure thats entrapment, but then they claim their asinine laws should be known by everyone and that ignorance of the law is not an excuse (totally should be when laws cant even fully be agreed upon by those who are supposed to enforce it)

and cant someone simply just cut a whole? if its filled its not like its any easier to remove than just tapping a new one

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Someone could cut a new hole at any time.

I know survivalists who plan on doing that if SHTF really occurs. Supposed to be pretty easy.

But until then, I would play by the rules.

You really have to know the rules for things like 922r and the NFA stuff. It gets complicated.

Here is a handy checklist you can use to make a thumbhole MAK legal.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Not that any of it has to make sense. (We can thank that useless idiot Bush I for 922r.) Be careful about what parts you possess. For example,. you can't have a short AR upper if you don't have a lower it could be attached to. Doesn't matter if you have never attached it not a non-SBR lower. Similar thing for auto sears. My understanding is you could own one-if you don't have any AR-but better not get caught with one if you don't have a Class III host lower to stick it in.

I remember reading an ad in the back of Shotgun News back in the late 80s. It was a place you could COD order drop-in auto sears. This was after the ban. The trick was that if you really ordered one, they would nab you when you went to pay cash on delivery. The name of the place which cold them was "PDQ" I heard it was a cute joke amongst ATF agents... It supposedly stood for "Prison Damn Quick." That ad ran for years. I have often wondered how many people fell for it.

The upshot is that a gun doesn't have to fire as a MG. It can be considered a violation if one of the technical definitions is met. And that stupid hole (even if it was filled) is a definition.

Reactions: Thenut

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
Someone could cut a new hole at any time.

I know survivalists who plan on doing that if SHTF really occurs. Supposed to be pretty easy.

But until then, I would play by the rules.

You really have to know the rules for things like 922r and the NFA stuff. It gets complicated.

Here is a handy checklist you can use to make a thumbhole MAK legal.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Not that any of it has to make sense. (We can thank that useless idiot Bush I for 922r.) Be careful about what parts you possess. For example,. you can't have a short AR upper if you don't have a lower it could be attached to. Doesn't matter if you have never attached it not a non-SBR lower. Similar thing for auto sears. My understanding is you could own one-if you don't have any AR-but better not get caught with one if you don't have a Class III host lower to stick it in.

I remember reading an ad in the back of Shotgun News back in the late 80s. It was a place you could COD order drop-in auto sears. This was after the ban. The trick was that if you really ordered one, they would nab you when you went to pay cash on delivery. The name of the place which cold them was "PDQ" I heard it was a cute joke amongst ATF agents... It supposedly stood for "Prison Damn Quick." That ad ran for years. I have often wondered how many people fell for it.

The upshot is that a gun doesn't have to fire as a MG. It can be considered a violation if one of the technical definitions is met. And that stupid hole (even if it was filled) is a definition.
wait, so is mere possession of the FA sear consider to be a machine gun?

what if someone bought or owned one and didnt own any guns what so ever?

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015

I'm sure it would go something like this:
Govt: Why do you have this
Owner: I just found it in a box of stuff my dad gave me
Govt: Okay, we see it as intent, meet Bubba, he'll be your cell mate for the next 25 years

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
I'm sure it would go something like this:
Govt: Why do you have this
Owner: I just found it in a box of stuff my dad gave me
Govt: Okay, we see it as intent, meet Bubba, he'll be your cell mate for the next 25 years
sadly that is pretty accurate

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia

Constructive intent is a bit more than that.

You pretty much can have a part like that (from what I understand) but you can't have the gun to host it. That's why legally transferable host guns are so valuable.

Used to be that you couldn't even have certain AR parts in your AR. Things such as an M-16 hammer and bolt carrier. Stuff totally unrelated to the FA fire control parts. A while back, that got re-interpreted-and my understanding is that it's OK to have those parts now. Just stay away from extra hole receivers.

Here is what the extra hole looks like on an AR....

ar15m16005.jpg

Even if that hole (right above the "fire" letters) is plugged-you should run like forrest gump!