Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I have a pre 89 chicom AK. I would rather have a WASR than some MAK90 abomination. My pre 89 Norinco is a giant piece of shit too.

My mini Draco runs circles around it.

Reactions: Strider12
H

Hoss

You can put a Euro buttstock on a Chicom but you have to remove some material due to the narrower ID on the receiver. Once you fit it to a Chicom, it's staying Chicom though.

H

Hoss

I have a pre 89 chicom AK. I would rather have a WASR than some MAK90 abomination. My pre 89 Norinco is a giant piece of shit too.

You just like to be contrary some days.

Reactions: BackWoods

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code

Don't want to MAK love?

Get the fuck out of this thread!

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
You just like to be contrary some days.

Some days, yes. My Norinco blew up in my face when I was about 14 years old after it started going full auto on its own.

In its defense we put all the parts back together and a gunsmith fixed whatever made it go full auto and to this day it still works.

Nobody in my family besides my dad and I will shoot it anymore and my uncle still says it belongs at the bottom of a lake. My dad bought it in the late 80s and we had nothing but problems with it up until about 15 years ago when we basically stopped shooting it.

I'll take it out from time to time, but expect it to break every time so I don't shoot it much.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Don't want to MAK love?

Get the fuck out of this thread!

Sorry, I just remember when my dad was selling them all the problems people had with them. They were cheap because people thought they were junk and it only got worse post 89. Back in the day it was said they had a thicker receiver because the chicoms used inferior steel and they needed it to be made thicker to prevent it from breaking.

Don't know if there is any truth to that since the chicom 1911s were made with the hardest steel on earth, but it was what everyone thought back then.

I have a chicom AK because it was my dads, but I won't pay more for one than a yugo or even Romanian gun.

That's just me though.

H

Hoss

What is a Chicom? China commie?

The term "Chicom" was coined during the Vietnam war to describe any military materials that were obviously provided to the NVA or VC by the Peoples Republic of China. It has since be used to describe any Chinese made military hardware or goods. It's a very common term in the milsurp community.

Reactions: DoglegArms
H

Hoss

Some days, yes. My Norinco blew up in my face when I was about 14 years old after it started going full auto on its own.

In its defense we put all the parts back together and a gunsmith fixed whatever made it go full auto and to this day it still works.

Nobody in my family besides my dad and I will shoot it anymore and my uncle still says it belongs at the bottom of a lake. My dad bought it in the late 80s and we had nothing but problems with it up until about 15 years ago when we basically stopped shooting it.

I'll take it out from time to time, but expect it to break every time so I don't shoot it much.

The Chicom builds are less refined yet tend to be much more reliable and robust. You, obviously, had a bad experience with yours so I would probably feel the same way you do toward the brand. I am the same way toward any and all things Kahr.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code

Was this a Norinco AK or another weapon?

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Was this a Norinco AK or another weapon?

Norinco 84S underfolder

20150602_105207_zpsck7b0niu.jpg

Reactions: Strider12

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I've had limited experience with AK's but of the 8 that I have owned (from WASR's to Arsenals) my old MAK was probably the smoothest and it had the best finish. That said, if I got another AK it would be an Arsenal SLR-107FR or an SLR-104FR.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Only thing to watch out for is the 3 pin version.

They are considered MGs. (Even if that hold is filled.)

Not many out there, but some still float around.

pix235794575.jpg

I saw one of Gunbroker a few years back. Plain as day. DEFINITELY an ATF trap.

Reactions: Thenut

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
i traded my mak90 + a bit of cash for an arsenal slr95

the mak90 is solid and an excellent ak47. much better than the wasrs

i like the arsenal better but to be honest the difference between the two is really negligible, both shoot fantastic

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
Only thing to watch out for is the 3 pin version.

They are considered MGs. (Even if that hold is filled.)

Not many out there, but some still float around.

pix235794575.jpg

I saw one of Gunbroker a few years back. Plain as day. DEFINITELY an ATF trap.
i dont understand how they can be considered a MG if the whole is filled and there is no FA sear installed or even near by (because constructive intent is a thing.....which i dont get either, how can i break the law by not actively breaking the law?)

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
i dont understand how they can be considered a MG if the whole is filled and there is no FA sear installed or even near by (because constructive intent is a thing.....which i dont get either, how can i break the law by not actively breaking the law?)

Same concept as the extra hole in the side of a AR.

The ATF says "once a MG, always a MG. Even if it can't fire full auto.

There are ways they can be demilled -by taking a blow torch and cutting through some specific area-so when you see a demilled kit, it is not a MG, but in that case, the receiver is trash. Effectively, it is not a firearm anymore.

I was at a gun show one day, and some undercover turd tried to sell my Grandfather's friend an AR with the extra hole. Fortunately, he knew the difference and didn't bite.