Installing a pivot pin on the cheap

American Revival Apparel Company

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Hat tip to @Wallace

The tool used is a 1/4" universal clevis pin, purchased at Ace for $1.72. I did have to sand down some high spots to get it to fit.
image.jpg

This is a great budget replacement for this,
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...t-pin-detent-installation-tool-prod26488.aspx

The clevis pin has holes bigger than the detent. Place a hole of the pin over the detent hole in the lower reciever. Drop in the spring and detent, push it in using a 1/16" punch, rotate the clevis pin while maintaining pressure on the punch. The detent will be pressing against the pin. Line up the pivot pin and use it to push the clevis pin back through keeping your finger along the top in case the detent squeezes through. If it gets away you may not find it again. Rotate the pivot pin in place.

Last edited:

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Thanks man! I bought the clevis pin with just 1 hole, and it fit without sanding. Glad it worked for you! Cheap stuff to make life easier!

Reactions: freedom

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Thanks man! I bought the clevis pin with just 1 hole, and it fit without sanding. Glad it worked for you! Cheap stuff to make life easier!

The hole on the single hole looked smaller and I didn't want to take the chance.

Its a great tip, I just wished someone had told me earlier.

No everyone is going to buy a specialty tool, but this is a great way to spend a buck. If it saves one detent, it'll pay for itself.

Reactions: Wallace

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Hat tip to @Wallace

The tool used is a 1/4" universal clevis pin, purchased at Ace for $1.72. I did have to sand down some high spots to get it to fit.
View attachment 15824

This is a great budget replacement for this,
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...t-pin-detent-installation-tool-prod26488.aspx

The clevis pin has holes bigger than the detent. Place a hole of the pin over the detent hole in the lower reciever. Drop in the spring and detent, push it in using a 1/16" punch, rotate the clevis pin while maintaining pressure on the punch. The detent will be pressing against the pin. Line up the pivot pin and use it to push the clevis pin back through keeping your finger along the top in case the detent squeezes through. If it gets away you may not find it again. Rotate the pivot pin in place.
I have that exact pin. I think it was .45 from Ace

Reactions: Wallace