How the 86 Ban Happened.....

GA Firing Line

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Want to see some dirty ass politics?

I still don't understand why Reagan signed it, but this is how the MG ban slipped in.

Reactions: Shemp

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Reagan signed it because he was a scumbag politician bent on control like all the others.
the drug war was in full swing, so there was a new level of violence in the streets, and he actually resisted enacting legislation on guns while it was pretty popular to do so.

After he got shot, it really kicked into swing.

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
the drug war was in full swing, so there was a new level of violence in the streets, and he actually resisted enacting legislation on guns while it was pretty popular to do so.

Were you even alive when Reagan was in office?

:boink:

Reactions: DarthVader and sam

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Want to see some dirty ass politics?

I still don't understand why Reagan signed it, but this is how the MG ban slipped in.

Because it was attached to FOPA which was a great piece of legislation that helped secure your second amendment freedoms.

Reagan didn't have the ability to line item veto and FOPA did more to secure 2nd amendment freedoms than the MG ban eroded them.

The NRA encouraged Reagan to sign it thinking the MG ban would be struck down by the court. To date the.MG ban has not made it to the SCOTUS because nobody has had standing which is why the current lawsuits are so exciting.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code

I was just out of HS in '86. Machine guns were not being fired from every street corner of Miami. And innocents weren't typically caught in the crossfire. In the Miami FBI shootout, the most news worthy gun story of the year, the most powerful weapon used by the perps was a Mini 14 (not modified).

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Because it was attached to FOPA which was a great piece of legislation that helped secure your second amendment freedoms.

Reagan didn't have the ability to line item veto and FOPA did more to secure 2nd amendment freedoms than the MG ban eroded them.

The NRA encouraged Reagan to sign it thinking the MG ban would be struck down by the court. To date the.MG ban has not made it to the SCOTUS because nobody has had standing which is why the current lawsuits are so exciting.
Lol standing is a joke, it's only used if the court doesn't want to hear it.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I was just out of HS in '86. Machine guns were not being fired from every street corner of Miami. And innocents weren't typically caught in the crossfire. In the Miami FBI shootout, the most news worthy gun story of the year, the most powerful weapon used by the perps was a Mini 14 (not modified).
Obviously.

Belgium politicians tried to crack harder down on gun laws, which are already extremely oppressive, after a grenade attack. It's just politicians reacting to the "we must do something" public.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia

Which lawsuits?

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
the guys who got their form 1 machine gun stamps approved, and then suddenly the ATf called and told them to send the stamps back when they received them.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/09/11/atf-approves-post-86-machine-gun-form-1/

Yeah.

I heard about that one.

The atf will claim clerical error. And they will win.

Just like when the IRS gets to claim something similar when they mistakenly add five extra zeros to a tax refund. No one has ever kept that money.

I bet the ATF will even attempt to go after the guys for filing fraudulent forms. They knew (or should have known) that they were attempting an illicit transaction.

Not saying that it's right. Just saying our side won't win that one.

Reactions: Shemp and rOmiLaYu

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
If they can get away with a sig brace turning a rifle into an illegal SBR depending on whether it touches a user's shoulder vs cheek, they can get away with whatever they want.

Reactions: Shemp

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Yeah.

I heard about that one.

The atf will claim clerical error. And they will win.

Just like when the IRS gets to claim something similar when they mistakenly add five extra zeros to a tax refund. No one has ever kept that money.

I bet the ATF will even attempt to go after the guys for filing fraudulent forms. They knew (or should have known) that they were attempting an illicit transaction.

Not saying that it's right. Just saying our side won't win that one.

Now, if they had issued the stamps, and allowed the statute of limitations to pass, maybe there would be something to it.

Otherwise, not feeling it.

A clerical mistake doesn't vacate law

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Now, if they had issued the stamps, and allowed the statute of limitations to pass, maybe there would be something to it.

Otherwise, not feeling it.

A clerical mistake doesn't vacate law
it has nothing to do with the clerical error, now the guys have a solid argument for standing since they have a denial on record. honestly it wouldn't have mattered if it was granted or not.

Old Scout

Hunter
Sep 5, 2015
Acworth, Georgia
Zip code
I remember when the ban went in, everyone was saying we don't need MG's they are too expensive the transfer tax is $200 for pete's sake. Etc Etc. I called the NRA and raised hell about it. Obviously it did no good. Look at all the parts kits that came in after the Soviet union went bust. Those could have been transferable MG's !!!

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
it has nothing to do with the clerical error, now the guys have a solid argument for standing since they have a denial on record. honestly it wouldn't have mattered if it was granted or not.

Correct