Duty Upper Build

American Revival Apparel Company

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Lets say you're going to build a 10.5" upper with police work in mind. Everything from shootouts to security work.

Barrel?- I'm thinking Ballistic Advantage, they have a good rep
Forend?- needs a solid attachment method, any ideas
BCG?- I've honestly never been picky on these but has to be FA BCG, I generally just use PSA premium
Optic?- obviously a non magnified optic here, just wondering where eneral consensus is on that
Sling attachment point?- I generally use magpul
Suppressor?- needs to be small and efficient. Maybe a Specwar 556k?

Any small parts important to what you consider a duty upper build?

Reactions: Mac11FA

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I would buy a commercially available completed upper with an A1 front sight, throw a Magpul forend with a QD sling mount and an Aimpoint PRO and call it a day.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Lets say you're going to build a 10.5" upper with police work in mind. Everything from shootouts to security work.

BCG?- I've honestly never been picky on these but has to be FA BCG, I generally just use PSA premium
Optic?- obviously a non magnified optic here, just wondering where eneral consensus is on that

I would suggest a BCM 12.5 KMR upper and BCM BCG/CH. Short, descent on weight, retains good ballistics for 5.56, if run suppressed, OAL would not be that bad and weight would not be terrible (yes, this is, even though you requested a 10.5" upper).

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...er-Receiver-Group-w-p/bcm-urg-12-kmr-a-10.htm

RDS would be an Aimpoint T2 or Trijicon MRO with a Surefire PRO Tac or Streamlight TLR-1 with remote switch.

Lower: Either a SOLGW, BCM, Sionics, or Colt, no particular order, just one of them with either a Geissele SSA or ALG ACT trigger. B5 SOPMOD or Magpul STR stock running an H1 or H2 buffer.

BUIS would be Magpul Pro.

Sling, I have a magpul I use as a 1 and 2 point setup, but after toting it around for a couple matches and through the woods a few times, I am considering a 3 point setup. I just cannot get a 100% comfortable setup with the Magpul sling....then again, I do not have the QD ends on mine.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
I would go with an A2 gas block/sight like @AtlMedic suggested for sure. Aimpoint PRO or micro without a doubt optic wise. Something durable and with a stupid long battery life. Officers have enough to worry about without their optics battery being one. Definitely a Magpul buis even if it's not a pro. The regular plastic one has never given me an issue. Handguard I would probably look at Midwest industries for one of their drop in lightweight quad rails it keymod. I'd honestly probably go with a quad rail (ease of use/durability) with a Magpul RVG and rail covers. Safe a section for my light/laser.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code

I always install a FA bolt in my AR'S. Especially when shooting supressed. If setting up for CQB, I would probably go 8 1/2" with suppressor and set and EOTECH XPS2-0 on top and a streamlight TLR-1 on bottom. A good singlength point sling and AFG.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Reactions: Righter13