GA Firing Line

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I'm just curious what everyone's take is on this...do you clear your carry gun everyday when you take it off for the day?

Once I'm home and take my gun off for the day I always clear it before putting it in the bedside safe. I have another pistol I keep loaded in the nightstand drawer once it's time for bed...This does mean that I "lose" a round of SD ammo every month or so from the bullet being pushed back in the case.

Should I stop clearing my gun and just keep it loaded 24/7? Any issues that might pop up by doing this?

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
I'm just curious what everyone's take is on this...do you clear your carry gun everyday when you take it off for the day?

Once I'm home and take my gun off for the day I always clear it before putting it in the bedside safe. I have another pistol I keep loaded in the nightstand drawer once it's time for bed...This does mean that I "lose" a round of SD ammo every month or so from the bullet being pushed back in the case.

Should I stop clearing my gun and just keep it loaded 24/7? Any issues that might pop up by doing this?

Nah. All of my firearms with the exception of my ARs always have a round in the chamber. The key is, if it is a handgun, it's in a holster... If it's a long gun.. the safety is on.

Also, whatever firearm I am carrying that day still stays on me even when I'm at home. It doesn't sleep until I do. Even then, it's my bedside firearm at the moment.

Last edited:

Thenut

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Sep 10, 2015
dat atl
i only clear my edc if im going to show it to someone or clean it. otherwise its always loaded; i dont play with my guns so im not concerned about it going off so long as i dont disengage the safety and pull the trigger

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
i only clear my edc if im going to show it to someone or clean it. otherwise its always loaded; i dont play with my guns so im not concerned about it going off so long as i dont disengage the safety and pull the trigger

This

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Every handgun, hd shotgun and scary black rifle I own has a round in the chamber. The only ones that don't are the semi-auto shotguns I use for trap and bird shooting and bolt guns.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Mine stays loaded 24/7 and if it is not on my side (sometimes when I am sleeping) it is in a holster by the bed. The only guns that are not chambered are in the safe.

Reactions: Gunsite Grad

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Mine stays loaded 24/7 , including all pistols in the safe,AR mag ready X 2

medium187mph

Frontiersman
Trusted Trader
Jun 4, 2015
Lagrange, GA
I used to clear my EDC when I got home.... Then I noticed the round I kept popping in and out somehow got seated deeper.

Never clear anymore unless I'm cleaning it or handing it to a trusted individual.

SafeCracka

Little Bitch
Trusted Trader
Mar 29, 2015
Screenshot City
Zip code
For the most part whatever I'm carrying is condition 1 or 2 anything in the safe(s) are condition 3....

(except for my MG & bolt gun those are condition 4)

Reactions: Cudruln

BackWoods

Frontiersman
Jul 5, 2015
Temple
Zip code
For about 12 years I have just had a "drawer gun" but with a 10 month old I have had to rethink my thinkin'

My wife is an air head, I put the KK thing bc she associates them being "HOT"
View attachment 11891

ce4ef4cb8d9b82f6885425c504c4b3fe.jpg

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
For about 12 years I have just had a "drawer gun" but with a 10 month old I have had to rethink my thinkin'
My oldest is 12 and I really never had to worry about him much. Just kept them out of reach. But my almost 4 year old now is into EVERYTHING and loves guns. He doesn't yet understand the difference between real and toy. He will immediately pick up any gun and start trying to pull the trigger. I've had to rethink my thinkin' this go around.

Inkdaddy

Hunter
Trusted Trader
Aug 20, 2015
Stone Mountain (Gwinnett) not Dekalb
Mine always stay loaded unless it's cleaning time. Every safe gun is holstered and loaded...........my worst worst worst case scenario is that if someone did get into my safe when no one was home, I could only hope that they would be so excited and not realize everything is loaded is that they would accidentally shoot themselves or the douchebags that were with them in my house.

Reactions: SafeCracka