Cartridge spotlight: handloading and shooting the 30-06 Springfield

Faktory 47

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
There has been much discussion of calibers, hunting, and suppression on various forums as of late, as well as will caliber .xxxx do_______. There is one rifle caliber that will cleanly take out a moose, or shoot subsonic gallery loads using the same weight bullets, primers, and cases. All the reloader must change is the powder type and charge. 220 grain .308 diameter bullets will do both out of this most versatile cartridge. The 30-06 is also capable of being loaded to produce flat shooting varment rounds. Of course 168 grain match bullets fly great when propelled from this cartridge out of a quality stick. It can be loaded down with 150's to .308 energy levels producing less recoil while remaining a deadly hunting round in eastern woods. Almost every deer camp has one carried by a member. I personally have had a drt deer using 150 grain factory loads. The only thing wrong with it is that it is "old". The 06 is capable of bruising light magnum performance, or mild mannered light recoiling hunting rifle depending on how it is loaded, and is in my opinion the most versatile rifle round available. Thanks for reading.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
There has been much discussion of calibers, hunting, and suppression on various forums as of late, as well as will caliber .xxxx do_______. There is one rifle caliber that will cleanly take out a moose, or shoot subsonic gallery loads using the same weight bullets, primers, and cases. All the reloader must change is the powder type and charge. 220 grain .308 diameter bullets will do both out of this most versatile cartridge. The 30-06 is also capable of being loaded to produce flat shooting varment rounds. Of course 168 grain match bullets fly great when propelled from this cartridge out of a quality stick. It can be loaded down with 150's to .308 energy levels producing less recoil while remaining a deadly hunting round in eastern woods. Almost every deer camp has one carried by a member. I personally have had a drt deer using 150 grain factory loads. The only thing wrong with it is that it is "old". The 06 is capable of bruising light magnum performance, or mild mannered light recoiling hunting rifle depending on how it is loaded, and is in my opinion the most versatile rifle round available. Thanks for reading.
I've always heard 30-06 takes on a whole new life when hand loaded.

I don't plan on buying one soon, simply because I don't get out to the longer ranges enough. Under 300 yards is just boring with full on rifle calibers.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I keep thinking about building one and then having a sizing die made using the chamber reamer. The problem is that the bullet would be an oddball size for me to keep on the shelf.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I keep thinking about building one and then having a sizing die made using the chamber reamer. The problem is that the bullet would be an oddball size for me to keep on the shelf.
I had one years ago, I just wanted a flatter trajectory. Now that I have suppressors I see it as a great way to mimic say 9x39

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I think the .35 Remington is in line with that round. Widely used up until the 90's, it would be a good candidate for suppressing.

Reactions: PewPewPewCo

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Anyone have a cartridge that they would like to tackle? I was thinking about taking on a new project, maybe 35 or larger diameter rifle???

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Anyone have a cartridge that they would like to tackle? I was thinking about taking on a new project, maybe 35 or larger diameter rifle???
45-70 is a goal

But my next two dies will be 308 and 223

Does 45-70 require lube in a carbide die? Figured no since there's no shoulder.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
.308 and . 223 are very easy to load for and 2 of my 4 favorite rifle calibers. Lots of components and data. I have a load that replicates Federal Gold Metal Match in .308, but at $8.25 a box when you get ready! Of course you can tweak your load to match the rifle, but this shoots well in almiast anything.

H

Hoss

Dead cartridges are dead for a reason. Move along, nothing to see here.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
The .35 Remington round is not a bad round, just too many others out there that do it better. It is a shame because there are a lot of good guns out there in that caliber and the ammunition is harder and harder to get. I have a hunting friend that has one and likes the lighter 150 gr projectiles. Any commercially available ammo is usually 180 gr to 200 gr when it can be found.

How about a .375 Winchester?

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Dead cartridges are dead for a reason. Move along, nothing to see here.
Think about it as a way to shoot grandad's old lever gun, and maybe take a deer with the same rifle he did in 1947, or to be able to shoot that old military rifle uncle Ed left you, that the ammunition is $3 each. If you are happy shooting todays's plastic utilitarian weapons, which are much better for any conceivable combat, then great. However those of us who appreciate classic cars, classic firearms, classic aircraft, etc. enjoy them for what they are and the feats of engineering that they were for the time. Besides B
Hoss, I thought we wanted some content other than just the goofy stuff.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
.308 and . 223 are very easy to load for and 2 of my 4 favorite rifle calibers. Lots of components and data. I have a load that replicates Federal Gold Metal Match in .308, but at $8.25 a box when you get ready! Of course you can tweak your load to match the rifle, but this shoots well in almiast anything.
I am looking to duplicate 168gr gold metal match

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Think about it as a way to shoot grandad's old lever gun, and maybe take a deer with the same rifle he did in 1947, or to be able to shoot that old military rifle uncle Ed left you, that the ammunition is $3 each. If you are happy shooting todays's plastic utilitarian weapons, which are much better for any conceivable combat, then great. However those of us who appreciate classic cars, classic firearms, classic aircraft, etc. enjoy them for what they are and the feats of engineering that they were for the time. Besides B
Hoss, I thought we wanted some content other than just the goofy stuff.
Also 30-06 hand loads are better for long range than 308, at least I have been made to understand that it can be loaded to be a flatter shooing round.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
The .35 Remington round is not a bad round, just too many others out there that do it better. It is a shame because there are a lot of good guns out there in that caliber and the ammunition is harder and harder to get. I have a hunting friend that has one and likes the lighter 150 gr projectiles. Any commercially available ammo is usually 180 gr to 200 gr when it can be found.

How about a .375 Winchester?

I checked around and don't know anyone with a rifle in that caliber. Do you have a ''test subject''?

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
No, not me personally. I think my Uncle used to have one. I will have to check and see if it is still in his estate or has been sold. It is interesting that you had already looked into it.