Best self defense round

Faktory 47

David (OHGO)

Tracker
Sep 29, 2016
It seems like everyone is ditching the .40SW caliber both in law enforcement and at the consumer level. I see more .40SW caliber guns posted then I ever have everyday.

What is everyone's thoughts on the best self defense round now? Do consumers just follow what military and LEO's go with, or are we going to step it up and use the 45ACP as our self defense round of choice?

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
The best round is the round that you can put on target quickly. You can't defend yourself with misses. So before getting to the issue of ballistics you should find the round you can place on target accurately every time and then consider quick follow up shots after accuracy. THEN we can discuss ballistics. But don't forget capacity is also a factor. So my position is to first find a list of rounds that you can shoot accurately and quickly. Then decide how much capacity is necessary for your given purpose. Then choose the round from that list that is ballistically superior.

I carry a .40S&W on duty every day and often carry a 9mm for concealed carry. Both fit the bill for me and my purposes, but I'm not opposed to someone else making a personal decision in another direction. It truly is a case by case evaluation.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I almost linked that article when I linked a few others in that other thread.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
Greg is one of the smartest guys I know. He's read more books on shootings and tactics than I could dream of. He does some great work!

NitroNeil

Hunter
Jun 24, 2016
I chose the 9mm a few years ago because it was my first pistol, cheaper than the 9mm. I didn't have any thoughts of carrying it at the time but I do now. I am proficient enough to put 5 rounds on target in 5 seconds at 5 yards from concealment. I recommend everyone who is purchasing a pistol to first fit for best grip to their hand, then out of those few that fit you very well to go try them out and see which works the best for you and go from there.

The other thing - practice makes permanent, not perfect. Practice for perfection, the speed will come.