Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Last edited:

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
We need to do a pool to see what the new caliber will be.

I'm guessing .40 'cause the military is cool like that 10 years ago...

Reactions: Shemp

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Your gonna have to have a 45 acp. Now the other is up for grabs and I'm with you @Hayata im thinking 40 cal.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Did they get rid of the manual saftey requirement.

Honestly, and this isn't just being a fanboy, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to Glock, HK, or maybe FN. They M&P I don't think could pass their tests and Sig only has maybe one gun that fits the qualifications.

I really think Glock will win though.

Olchevy

Woodsman
Aug 11, 2015
Spalding, GA
Zip code
I'm not military (granit not for lack of trying) so I may be talking out of my butt here. But......

I was under the impression that in the military majority of the time handguns were only issued to officers, M&P's, and other predominantly non-combative roles, with exception of some EOD or other MOS that would make carrying a rifle and ammo to cumbersome.

If I am correct in my presumption then I see the preference going to a .45 strictly based on the common notion that "9mm was to weak and .45 knocked people down" you know how it goes, those that don't carry a rifle will decide what rifle those that do will carry. Same for handguns.

On another side note, I did see a article that said that during these trials the military said the new handgun must reliably feed hollow point ammunition as they are debating on using them in the handguns regardless of NATO objections.

Olchevy

Woodsman
Aug 11, 2015
Spalding, GA
Zip code
Did they get rid of the manual saftey requirement.

Honestly, and this isn't just being a fanboy, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to Glock, HK, or maybe FN. They M&P I don't think could pass their tests and Sig only has maybe one gun that fits the qualifications.

I really think Glock will win though.
I highly doubt Glock is going to change their design to be truly ambidextrous, one of the chief requirements. That would make for a cool Gen 5 Glock though if they did.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
G21 done and done......

That is an incredibly reliable and well balanced pistol. There is still nothing better out there for this kind of mission.

(Of course politics will probably fuck it up. That's where the awful M9 came from in the first place.)

I still can't imagine what kind of silly machinations were used to replace the 1911 with that damn thing.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
G21 done and done......

That is an incredibly reliable and well balanced pistol. There is still nothing better out there for this kind of mission.

(Of course politics will probably fuck it up. That's where the awful M9 came from in the first place.)

I still can't imagine what kind of silly machinations were used to replace the 1911 with that damn thing.

HK USP and HK45 are infinitely better and much closer to fitting military demands...

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
HK USP and HK45 are infinitely better and much closer to fitting military demands...

Whatevs, dog.

If I wanted to carry a brick shaped like a gun, I would go to the "brick shaped like gun" store. Never have enjoyed the ergonomics of the HK.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Whatevs, dog.

If I wanted to carry a brick shaped like a gun, I would go to the "brick shaped like gun" store. Never have enjoyed the ergonomics of the HK.

Lol that's a funny joke...someone saying that Glock ergonomics are it's strong suit...

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I didn't say that's the strong suit for Glock.....

I'm just saying that about those crappy Hks.

And $800..... Really?

Glocks are by a long shot the lowest common denominator of the handgun world. They are great at what they are...a gun. The ergonomics are utterly horrible, the triggers are utterly horrible. People buy them because so many guntards behind counters at gunshops tour them as the best thing since sixes bread because they saw a movie in the 80s where they where portrayed as some plastic wunder gun...The only reason why people can shoot them well is because people either A. Take the time to overcome their shortcomings to be another me-too or B. Learned on Glocks and don't know any better.

Are HKs perfect? No. But they are a damn sight better than Glocks for the military 's purposes and design parameters.

Price? Yeah...HKs cost more....for.now. the new HK striker guns are well withing range of a new Glock. The VP9 is infinitely better than a G19/17...and when the VP45 comes out...

I didn't intend for this to become a Glock vs HK pissing match...but there we are

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Glocks are by a long shot the lowest common denominator of the handgun world. They are great at what they are...a gun. The ergonomics are utterly horrible, the triggers are utterly horrible. People buy them because so many guntards behind counters at gunshops tour them as the best thing since sixes bread because they saw a movie in the 80s where they where portrayed as some plastic wunder gun...The only reason why people can shoot them well is because people either A. Take the time to overcome their shortcomings to be another me-too or B. Learned on Glocks and don't know any better.

Are HKs perfect? No. But they are a damn sight better than Glocks for the military 's purposes and design parameters.

Price? Yeah...HKs cost more....for.now. the new HK striker guns are well withing range of a new Glock. The VP9 is infinitely better than a G19/17...and when the VP45 comes out...

I didn't intend for this to become a Glock vs HK pissing match...but there we are

Shoot what you shoot best.

If you need a 1K brick to make you shoot well, so be it. I don't.

(Not here to judge.)

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Shoot what you shoot best.

If you need a 1K brick to make you shoot well, so be it. I don't.

(Not here to judge.)

Im.not either...but by your comments I see that you are. If you can convince me why anyone should buy a G17 over a VP9 when they are within $50 of each other I'd concede...The VP9 is truly ambi and has adjustable back straps AND side panels...it's just a better gun for what the military needs. Unless they actually tell NATO and the Geneva Conventions to eat a dick amd use HP ammo I would imagine they will go with a .45. Bigger holes bleed more.

I'd also bet a hammer fired Glock would cost about $750-850...maybe more.

Last edited:

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I would bet that neither HK nor Glock win the contract.

And HKs aren't all that. Glocks aren't either.

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia

Nope.....

Only a POS M9 is...

This "contest" is only a contest if who has the better political connections and who has paid off the right scumbag politicians.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code

You're probably right...they will probably change their mind halfway through and give the M9 some new useless doodad and call it a day

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
If memory serves...and it might not...wasn't part of the reason why HK built a plant in Columbus and developed the HK45 to try and win a military contract that ended up with the military deciding to keep the M9 anyway?

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
Im.not either...but by your comments I see that you are. If you can convince me why anyone should buy a G17 over a VP9 when they are within $50 of each other I'd concede...The VP9 is truly ambi and has adjustable back straps AND side panels...it's just a better gum for what the military needs. Though unless they actually tell NATO and the Geneva Conventions to eat a dick amd use HP ammo I would imagine they will go with a .45. Bigger holes bleed more.

I'd also bet a hammer fired Glock would cost about $750-850...maybe more.

Probably so.

I am a big fan of the 45 cartridge.

I bet they will go with .40 though. About the same ammo capacity as the 9mm.

A G17 is not my fav. I like the 19 and the 21.

I am not a fan of all Glocks. I hate the baby ones, and I can't stand the 23. But to each his own. The G19 is the best pistol I have ever held. It just suits me perfectly.

But that's the way pistols are. They are a very individual choice. Good thing we have so many choices.

I would bet the govt. will figure out something to cock this all up though. I don't think anyone saw the Beretta replacing the 1911. That one came completely out of left field.

I think the most plausible explanation for the Beretta choice was that Reagan wanted missile bases in Italy about that time. Word was that the govt wanted the pistol contract. They got the pistol and Reagan got his missile bases.

This choice will probably be based on whichever gun Jay-Z thinks is mo gangsta-given the current state of affairs.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Probably so.

I am a big fan of the 45 cartridge.

I bet they will go with .40 though. About the same ammo capacity as the 9mm.

A G17 is not my fav. I like the 19 and the 21.

I am not a fan of all Glocks. I hate the baby ones, and I can't stand the 23. But to each his own. The G19 is the best pistol I have ever held. It just suits me perfectly.

But that's the way pistols are. They are a very individual choice. Good thing we have so many choices.

I would bet the govt. will figure out something to cock this all up though. I don't think anyone saw the Beretta replacing the 1911. That one came completely out of left field.

I think the most plausible explanation for the Beretta choice was that Reagan wanted missile bases in Italy about that time. Word was that the govt wanted the pistol contract. They got the pistol and Reagan got his missile bases.

This choice will probably be based on whichever gun Jay-Z thinks is mo gangsta-given the current state of affairs.

Watch...we'll end up with Turkish guns to "please" the muslims.

Reactions: Jcountry