380 over pressure

GA Firing Line

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Quote from Skip on "sticky" "DO NOT over-load ammunition for use in the LCP. Doing so can result in rapid and violent disassembly of the pistol (blown up barrel, slide, and frame). We've seen photos of such "Kaboom" incidents here and the Customer Service folks at Ruger tell me that they have seen a number of them."

On the other forum I talked about my LCP and the problems I went through with a split rail and other problems I had until Ruger sent me a new one. I also mentioned that the ammo I was using was from a certain manufacturer and I thought at the time of shooting the ammo, that it was hot. The recoil seen more severe when shooting the gun and that is when my problems started. (I will admit that I had shot the little gun over 2,000 rds before it went down.) While I'm a very new beginner to the world of reloading, the more I learn the more I believe that it was hot ammo.
I really like the 380 caliber and RELOADING 380 seems to be one of the best deals out there considering the cost of store bought 380 is crazy high. Also I personally want to load the 380 in a light load to possibly make the gun last longer. I have the LCP and really like the pistol, and have wanted to invest in other 380's but the cost of the ammo has always kept me from making that jump. From my view of where I am now at the beginning stages of reloading, I can't imagine that anyone that loves to shoot the 380 does not take up reloading. I must say, that I am getting into this new hobby and find it so very interesting. Thanks to Skip and others that were the guys that jumped started me into even thinking about this hobby. It is also a certain peace of mind that guys with years of experience, Skip, Richcoop, Trigger etc, are there to jump in when you need help. Hey, you got your own personal (trainers) instructors and you don't even have to pay them! Lol! What more do you want? Eggs with your beer? Start reloading! JUST DO IT!

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
Reloading is a great hobby. I had bought a mess of .380's before I bought the LCP for the wife so we had no need for ammo to practice with. I wasn't even thinking about reloading so I never saved the brass. We still have a lot of factory left but I'm collecting brass right now. I save all the brass I can pick up and will trade or sell as scrap all I don't use. Right now I just load .45acp because it is the caliber I shoot the most but now my daughters are shooting a lot of 9mm so I may get into loading that. 9mm is so cheap it is difficult to think of spending the money on gear to reload it but the brass is piling up next to my bench. Have fun with your hobby!

D

Denny4kids

I like to check my loads with a chronograph to be sure. I have found that even if you don't size a new case and do/don't put a crimp can affect bullet speed. Not all the bullet/powder combinations are listed in the books and I also think its fun to work up loads to the velocity I'm after. Den

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Denny4kids said:
I like to check my loads with a chronograph to be sure. I have found that even if you don't size a new case and do/don't put a crimp can affect bullet speed. Not all the bullet/powder combinations are listed in the books and I also think its fun to work up loads to the velocity I'm after. Den
There are LOTS of variables that can come into play with reloading. Simply mixing up the cartridge case batches can affect group size, for example. Y'all wouldn't believe the tweaking I do with loading for my benchrest rifle (a Remington 40XBR in .222 Remington caliber with a 20X Unertl scope on top) to get the sub 1/4-inch groups that I've gotten with it at 100 yards.

D

Denny4kids

Skip I spend hours sorting my rimfire ammo for the annual egg shoot. First I had to find what ammo my rifle liked, then sort all the ammo by the rim thickness, and then weigh all the rounds to make sure none had a light or heavy powder charge. I shot 15 eggs in 16 shots and wound up 9th out of 40. There were a lot of perfect scores and the shoot-off wound up being 36 shots without a miss to win. This was at 100 yards and with an 18 power scope I can see my bullet arch over my line of sight and see my egg blow up.
I'm having fum working up loads for my Glock 20 10mm. I have some 135g moving 1475fps and I hit the 10inch plate at 100 yards all day long. I'm going to try 200 yards when it cools down. Den

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
The ammo that I mentioned that I thought may have over pressured my pistol, was weighed at 3.6 gr. Obviously I do not know the type of ammo used by the manufacturer, but from what I have seen, getting up to 3.6 of anything is usually pretty high on the chart. Even though I'm new to reloading, if I had loaded that powder, and it felt the way it did when shooting, I would have most definitely have backed the next loads down, way down.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
davevabch said:
The ammo that I mentioned that I thought may have over pressured my pistol, was weighed at 3.6 gr. Obviously I do not know the type of ammo used by the manufacturer, but from what I have seen, getting up to 3.6 of anything is usually pretty high on the chart. Even though I'm new to reloading, if I had loaded that powder, and it felt the way it did when shooting, I would have most definitely have backed the next loads down, way down.

Now after reading Skips info :Gentlemen, please be VERY CAREFUL with heavier-than-normal bullets in the .380 cartridge.
• There's a maximum overall length that you have to stay within.
• A heavier bullet will be loaded deeper into the case than a lighter bullet with the same OAL.
• Less volume in the case raises the chamber pressure."

The factory ammo that I suspect may have destroyed my gun (LCP) may be the cause. Like I mentioned, it was 3.6 gr loaded with a 100gr bullet. Even though i do not know the brand of powder, in all aspects it seems this whole load may have been too high in pressure.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
davevabch said:
The factory ammo that I suspect may have destroyed my gun (LCP) may be the cause. Like I mentioned, it was 3.6 gr loaded with a 100gr bullet. Even though i do not know the brand of powder, in all aspects it seems this whole load may have been too high in pressure.
Different powders can have extremely different burn rates. Thus, the weight of the charge alone (without knowing precisely what powder it is) really means nothing when analyzing the charge. In addition, commercial and military loads are often made with powders that are not available to us across the counter.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Regardless, If I had reloaded that charge myself, I surely would have brought it down.

D

Denny4kids

davevabch said:
Regardless, If I had reloaded that charge myself, I surely would have brought it down.
You might want to consider buying a chronograph. I have had a lot of fun working up loads and testing loads. Herters steel case 380 ammo kicks like a mule and when I find where I stashed it we will see how fast it is. Mine was used and it cost $80. I have seen them new for $100 and up. This tool has helped me find the recipe for light IDPA legal 9mm loads and safe hot loads for my Glock 20 10mm. My 223 loads are not done yet.

3.6 grains for a .380 would not be a starting point for some of the powders I use. Like Skip said, weight means nothing if you don't know what powder it is.
There is so much to learn about reloading and I have just begun. To keep myself safe I'm going to always use my books and chronograph and also learn how to read the empty shells. Denny

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I'll second the motion for the chronograph. Get the best you can find. I have an old Oehler model 35 chronograph which is one of best ever made for retail sales. For several years, it was out of production but I see that it's available again. Click on this link to see one.

Testing a series of loads can be very much a learning experience. You'll see not only velocity values for each round but you'll notice that some loads have a more uniform shot-to-shot velocity series than others.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Actually I do have a chrony. As a avid airgunner I use it often. Unfortunately unless you are at a range that allows them, then it does not help. I shoot mostly combat or defensive handguns at close range and not really sure if a chrony is that much help for such close range. The factory reload in question was 3.6gr with a 100gr bullet. From most of the data I have seen that is approaching max levels regardless of the powder used. Maybe that ammo is ok for a larger 380 but if perception of shooting characteristics has any meaning, then in my opinion, that round was way to much for the Little LCP. The fact is, My pistol suffered two problems when shooting that ammo. A cracked frame and a split rail. Maybe just a coincidence, I don't know. However in the world of shooting "Better to be safe than sorry" and I will not shoot the remainder of that ammo out of the LCP nor will I reload a load to that degree.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
davevabch said:
Actually I do have a chrony. As a avid airgunner I use it often. Unfortunately unless you are at a range that allows them, then it does not help. I shoot mostly combat or defensive handguns at close range and not really sure if a chrony is that much help for such close range.
If you're reloading, then testing your loads with the chrony is definitely a good thing to do regardless of how you expect to use the ammunition. Some combinations of components, including the type and amount of powder, simply don't produce as reliable and repeatable results as others. You want to know that every round will perform as close to the norm for the batch as possible. This is important for accuracy as well as for performance (reliably cycling the auto feed mechanism, for example).

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
I have been reloading now focusing on one gun only, the LC9. I cannot use a chrony at the ranges I go to, but have found a couple of great loads that reduce the harsh recoil of factory ammo, cycle perfect,and extremely accurate and fast. Finding a load like this has become one of the most pleasing pleasures of reloading. I was quick to discover that a load for a bigger 9mm is not the same load needed for a small pocket type 9mm with a shorter barrel. Shooting the LC9 is now much more enjoyable, more accurate, and not as harsh on wear and tear of the pistol. Maybe the round is not speeding off at a high velocity, but for training and defense/shooting at the standard close range, I can practice all my necessary drills, trigger control, etc. At this point a chrony is for me not really necessary.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I am doing the same thing you are dave, working primarily on one ammo, the 45 acp. I reloaded some 9mm and .380 during the early learing process just to get better acquainted with the steps, but I reload 45's only right now.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
BD - have you considered casting bullets for the .45? That can significantly reduce the cost of shooting and accuracy can still be quite good. I haven't shot my Gold Cup for some time, but when I was shooting it a lot, I was using a 230gr Keith style semi-wadcutter bullet that I'd cast using a four-cavity #68S mold custom made for me by Hensley & Gibbs.

H&G was, in my opinion, the best bullet mold maker ever. Unfortunately, H&G shut their doors in 1999. They sold all their tooling to Ballisti-Cast. The H&G #68 is now called the #668 by Ballisiti-Cast. Here is a photo of the 200gr version of the #68.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I have considered it but have not tried it yet. My reloading teacher does not cast bullets, although I am sure he could. Right now I have been concentrating on soaking up as much knowledge as he has to give, which is enough to make my brain tired at times. With that said, I have now met another older gent that does cast his own bullets and he does .45's too. So that may be my next learning adventure on the horizon. Thanks for the information on that.