300 AAC Blackout to factory crimp or not

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

sinwagon71

Hunter
Dec 6, 2016
Blue Ridge
Zip code
All I am new to the 300 Blackout reloading and when seating 110gr FB bullets to an OAL of 2.1 seems there is just not much bullet for the case to purchase cases are trimmed to 1.35 to 1.36. Is anyone loading these using a factory crimp die to tighten them up a bit. So far all have shot fine but I was able to push a bullet out with my thumb and chamber one then hand ejected and pull the case off the bullet.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
The SAAMI specs show a minimum overall length of 1.780. What loading information are you following for the particular bullet you are using?

Having a bullet able to be pulled free easily can be a huge problem if a bullet gets left in the barrel. I would be doing some more research and finding out if the particular bullet is considered suitable for the cartridge and, if so, what are the intended dimensions.

blitzfike

Hunter
May 29, 2016
Tuttle, OK
Zip code
I load a wide variety of projectiles in the 300 AAC. Factory crimp is a necessary evil in my experience. Too much chance for bullet setback without it. If I try to get enough roll crimp I can end up with difficulty chambering rounds. FCD works well for me. You do need to be careful that your not seating on the ogive or you will have problems with bullet retention. I use a chronograph to work up all my loads assisted by quickload to at least THINK I'm in the correct starting position..