Wingmaster stock and fore-end

Faktory 47
M

mukwah

Lucky Day, Lucky Day!!! Traded a couple of knives today for an original '70s vintage Remington Wingmaster stock and fore end! Much better quality, walnut, grain and checkering! Can't wait to get started stripping this baby down and doing my thing to it! I'm gonna put it on my grandson's 870 Express I bought him last year. It will have to wait a while as I have a couple of other irons in the fire right now!! :D

1208121754.jpg

M

mukwah

They're in good shape Skip. Couple of dings and scratches and that heavy poly finish that I don't like. Just dosen't show the grain off like it should!JMHO

R

rayzer007

This will be interesting! Looks good now; can't wait to see the difference after the master's hand works it! ;)

Ray

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
mukwah said:
They're in good shape Skip. Couple of dings and scratches and that heavy poly finish that I don't like. Just dosen't show the grain off like it should!JMHO
Do you do any work with checkering? My son does. He learned how to do checkering from scratch with totally manual tools and does a really great job at it. I'd suspect that with the tools he uses one could clean up existing checkering very nicely when stripping a stock to refinish it.

M

mukwah

Never done any checkering other than clean up work but I plan getting more into that as retirement gets a little closer. Got 3-4 more years to gather tools etc. I especially love the work being done by some of the non conventional artists like Esmarelda, she does some amazing things with wood! http://www.esmeralda.cc/

M

mukwah

Go two projects this weekend (plus my Honey-Do List). First I'm gonna move my safe to a differant spot in my work room. And second is to finally strip these badboys! Prolly gonna be a job taking off that thick poly finish that Remington is famous for. Got my checkering taped up to try to keep gook out so we'll see how she goes!
IMG_20130202_080023_zps1ba40e16.jpg

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Wow. I am glad that is tape. For just a second I thought somebody had actually walked around with a gun looking like that. ??? ::) :(

M

mukwah

Well, being a 12 ga pump I don't think anybody would say anything about it!LOL;D

M

mukwah

Skip,I used Klean-Strip KS-3 Premium. Stripping any heavy poly finish is a major chore but this stuff works pretty good. Took about three coats with 15-20 min set time between coats and lots of scraping. As with anything worthwhile, patience is key!

M

mukwah

I've got some Watco Danish Oil in medium walnut stain, then about 7-8 coats of Tru Oil and finish with a couple of coats of wax. Should turn out nice. The sanding proceedure is what will bring out the grain and really show off the wood.