Winchester 94 help

American Revival Apparel Company

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I don't bother with the plastic or rawhide mallet, but I use either a brass or a nylon punch between a small steel hammer and the sights.

The real trick to simplifying the job is supporting the barrel solidly. For that, you might consider drilling a hole that's roughly the barrel diameter through a block of wood and then sawing the block through the center of the drilled hole. Use the two pieces in a bench vise with the barrel clamped between them. You need to make sure to choose a block of wood that is not going to split easily.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
If it was me I would put a popsicle stick under the rear the site to hold it up enough to get a little bit of masking tape Or electrical tape with some for 0000 steel wool stuck to it And pull it back and forth under the site then move the stick to the back and do the same thing to the front.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
mukwah said:
YZ, you can buy a sight mover if you want but I don't think you'll need one. Get a plastic/rawhide mallet and some brass punches from Brownells (which are handy to have if you don't already have them). Give the sight a good soaking with CLP.
I did some reading on this and the Winchester rear sight drifts out of the dove tail left to right as in a Marlin. I think the whole process will a lot easier than you think.

I'm sure this is a dumb question but before I put it in a vise and whack on it you meant left to right as seen from the firing position correct?

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Well it's certainly not a trophy but I removed the cancer. The rear sight was a bear to remove but after I soaked it with CLP for an hour it moved alright (thanks for the vise blocks idea Skip). The Frontier cleaner worked pretty good. If you have a pretty bad rust spot and lean into it a bit it will remove some of the finish, but if its bad enough that you need to do that then it probably doesn't matter too much. If you take your time and rub lightly, light rust will disappear without effecting the finish. (thanks Hoppy). It should outlive my son and I as long as I don't let my dad borrow it again.

ejy8etyv.jpg
qe7atyqy.jpg

7ujaqyte.jpg
evu9ejum.jpg

R

rayzer007

Boy, do we ever have some talented gunsmiths around here! I wouldn't have gotten that thing back together in ten lifetimes!

Ray

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Any one can pay to have a gun redone but it put a lot of pried in a gun when you do it yourself.
Nice work.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
rayzer007 said:
Boy, do we ever have some talented gunsmiths around here! I wouldn't have gotten that thing back together in ten lifetimes!

Ray

I'd hate to have had to assemble it had I not also been the one to disassemble it. But it wasn't too bad. Thankfully all the screws and pins only fit in one place. It's nice to have a better understanding of the lever action mechanics now as well.

M

mukwah

It's also a really good feeling when you don't have any screws or pins left over after you finish!!!