Who hasn't learned their lesson?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I've started similar threads, but just consider this ol' Laufen's friendly reminder that we are currently in the golden age of firearms ownership. The current legislative climate, amount of variety available, and low prices will likely never be more favorable than they are now. Right now, at this very moment, you can buy an American revolver, or Swiss rifle for under $500 that would easily take $1500 to build today. Ammo is at 4 year lows, and you can buy a 6 pack of decent AR mags for the price of a handjob behind the QT.

For those under a rock, we have an election cycle coming up, and unknown results aside there is at least a good possibility that firearms/ammo prices will increase, perhaps dramatically at some point in the next couple years.

Has everyone already stocked up on what they need at this point? What's most important long term, maybe standard (not reduced) capacity magazines? Ammo? What's your priority going into an election that may result in an anti-gun President trying to make a name for himself/herself?

Reactions: DarthVader

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I'm loading up on ammo but have stopped until I see who is going to have the best labor day deals.

Reactions: Laufen

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
If you take into consideration what we've seen from past cycles and the fact that more and more folks are coming of age (18/21) that weren't part of previous "panics", I suspect we'll see another run on:

5.56 & .22 ammo
30rnd capacity & up mags
ARs & related parts
reloading supplies

While I agree that ammo & AR prices are continuously dropping due to increased supply, I will bet good money that even those who "stocked up" after the last cycle will be replaced with new blood and perpetuate the cycle.

I've been watching prices lately and will sometimes buy ammo & mags when on sale; I've been comfortable with my level of stock since 2010, but I often contemplate what may not be available in the future.

Reactions: Strider12

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
If you take into consideration what we've seen from past cycles and the fact that more and more folks are coming of age (18/21) that weren't part of previous "panics", I suspect we'll see another run on:

5.56 & .22 ammo
30rnd capacity & up mags
ARs & related parts
reloading supplies

While I agree that ammo & AR prices are continuously dropping due to increased supply, I will bet good money that even those who "stocked up" after the last cycle will be replaced with new blood and perpetuate the cycle.

I've been watching prices lately and will sometimes buy ammo & mags when on sale; I've been comfortable with my level of stock since 2010, but I often contemplate what may not be available in the future.
Yes, those are my thoughts exactly. There are plenty of fresh, new idiots just waiting to drive up prices due to being un-prepared inventory wise, and prepared to pay anything for ammo and mags.

Add to your list .380 acp, hell even 9mm.

It will happen again. There will be another shooting induced/anti-gun legislation induced panic, and there is a possibility that there could be some permanent or long term awb type issue. I'm not trying to be a fatalist, but it's going to happen. Social media will ensure that we're constantly whipped into a frenzy with each and any gun related incident, no matter how unavoidable or insignificant.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Interesting timing for this thread... 1K rounds of 62 grain Wolf and five more G17 mags showed up at my office yesterday. Aim Surplus had what I wanted in stock. Not great pricing per year's past standards, but $4.79 per box wasn't bad. Factory Glock mags (new) were $21 or so each.

This time the mags actually came in Glock packaging. Previous ones were in zip lock bags or just had an Aim sticker on the side of a factory mag.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Interesting timing for this thread... 1K rounds of 62 grain Wolf and five more G17 mags showed up at my office yesterday. Aim Surplus had what I wanted in stock. Not great pricing per year's past standards, but $4.79 per box wasn't bad. Factory Glock mags (new) were $21 or so each.

This time the mags actually came in Glock packaging. Previous ones were in zip lock bags or just had an Aim sticker on the side of a factory mag.
From PSA FullSizeRender.jpg

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I need to pick up a couple more cases of 9mm.

Not counting ammo, I've enough powder, projectiles, primers for .223 to go a number of years without worry. I would pick up some brass, if I could get it cheap.

I haven't went crazy, but when buying or ordering an ffl item, I've added a -$50 lower when possible.

I have enough mags, but I need to jump on the next deal I see for insurance purposes.

I have four kids. My thought it's to have enough to set them up with plenty of grandfathered mags, lowers, guns. When someone tells me I have to much, I always say it will eventually be divided by 4.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
While Hillary will be bad for prices in the short term, I'm actually more worried about what a Bush/Christie/trump/Kasich administration would mean for 2a rights. A republican congress only holds the line when they don't have the white house.

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I am always looking for a good deal on ammo and whatever parts I can find. But obviously with the elections coming up in the near future my efforts have increased a good bit.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Yes, those are my thoughts exactly. There are plenty of fresh, new idiots just waiting to drive up prices due to being un-prepared inventory wise, and prepared to pay anything for ammo and mags.

Add to your list .380 acp, hell even 9mm.

It will happen again. There will be another shooting induced/anti-gun legislation induced panic, and there is a possibility that there could be some permanent or long term awb type issue. I'm not trying to be a fatalist, but it's going to happen. Social media will ensure that we're constantly whipped into a frenzy with each and any gun related incident, no matter how unavoidable or insignificant.
I'm not trying to be the eternal pessimist either, however, I honestly don't see these "panics" reducing in severity or longevity anytime soon. Just as I commented in another thread, while .22 prices continue to drop, I don't think we'll ever see the widespread availability at .02/.03rnd as we previously did. I certainly believe there will be future attempts at another AWB, the manufacturers know this and will keep prices in line based upon demand.

Dare I put my tin foil hat on while a black helicopter hovers overhead, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see ammo regulated by the ATF - - "manufacturing" your own ammo will require an ATF form. I'm just thinking our illustrious govt will take a back door approach by going after ammo to make it so expensive that gun sales drop exponentially.